Development

VFL1010

Trailer Park Supervisor
Is it safe to say that, in the past 10 years or so this has been our biggest issue? No matter who the coach(es) are, the outcome is always the same? We get a lot of guys that are highly recruited that just do not work out here.

Then you have guys that end up showing their potential in the NFL.

Why is it that through numerous coaches, none of these guys can seem to get this done? It's always the "we don't have talent" then another coach comes in, gets some guys who are supposed to be stand-outs, then we're back to "we don't have the talent yet"

I guess it's bargain shopping for head coaches....

Is it safe to say that, in the past 10 years or so this has been our biggest issue? No matter who the coach(es) are, the outcome is always the same? We get a lot of guys that are highly recruited that just do not work out here.

Why is it that through numerous coaches, none of these guys can seem to get this done? It's always the "we don't have talent" then another coach comes in, gets some guys who are supposed to be stand-outs, then we're back to "we don't have the talent yet"

I don't think it has anything to do with us having "no talent." There is a word that is slowly disappearing..."PRIDE"! If i had it to do over and not for a few knee injuries, I would have worked myself to the bone just to get to wear a uniform or be part of the program. These kids now are few and far between. And in society today, the Alpha dogs bark is not what it use to be, if you push someone too hard, you are mistreating them and a lawsuit is on the way. Plus not even sure if we have any other Alpha dogs besides Jennings, and I'm sure he has been told to keep his nose clean.
Just my opinion!

Recruiting is more comprehensive than just track/flag football numbers. Too little emphasis on leadership, accountability, being a good teammate (to go along with the required skill and metrics). Sadly, many of the attitude issues are with guys that are actually playing and getting their chances.

I think to characterize what is happening here as one thing or another is difficult to pin down. I don't want to sound wishy-washy in my point of view, but I will. Yeah we have had players come in that are highly recruited that don't pan out here and they never live up to expectation. We have guys who come in and maybe are not "coached up". When we get guys who buy into playing every down like it is your last that's when we turn the corner and get better. They can control the effort they put into playing the game. Teams aren't going to lay down for you because you are TENNESSEE. Yes PRIDE has a lot to do with it. Pride for the game, pride for the university, and pride for themselves and their family. I am the kind of person who gives all in what I do to be the best I can be. This team is not talented enough across the board to have 6 players on offense giving their all, and 5 players on defense doing the same. That's 50% effort and that won't get it done. Put 11 guys on both sides of the ball that want to bleed, sweat, and cry for the team then we win. Period.

I will dismount my soap box.

I don't think it has anything to do with us having "no talent." There is a word that is slowly disappearing..."PRIDE"! If i had it to do over and not for a few knee injuries, I would have worked myself to the bone just to get to wear a uniform or be part of the program. These kids now are few and far between. And in society today, the Alpha dogs bark is not what it use to be, if you push someone too hard, you are mistreating them and a lawsuit is on the way. Plus not even sure if we have any other Alpha dogs besides Jennings, and I'm sure he has been told to keep his nose clean.
Just my opinion!
Uncle Rico, is that you?

I guess it's all schools/coaches now, even going back to Butch on watching practice drills, where it more looks like they're playing patty cakes on what we see in clips, then I hear about the "thud" tackling and not wanting people on the ground. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but, to me, you get better at tackling by actually tackling.

Well, UT has followed the Bama model and hired a kazillion directors of player development, analysts, gurus, ouija board operators, etc to develop our players for the past two years. The early ROI is not particularly impressive.

Expanding the practice fields, paying top dollar for assistant coaching staff, and gutting/refitting the weight room have also not paid dividends yet.

Everything is in place for success. Yet success eludes us.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan

VN Store

Back