Destiny Salary in the Transfer portal

Note every freshman is going to be Holdsclaw, Catchings or Page Bueckers.

Rae Burrell was NOTHING but potential as a freshman. And at top schools, or schools aspiring to get back to the top, the game has always been about NOW but recruiting and development of freshman players is about preparing for the future and building a program.

I understand and agree with what you say, but the direction the game is going in, is win know. (as are most college sports) Yesterday I heard or saw that women basketballers are starting to ask for the ability to go pro earlier. This will put more pressure on the programs to win now, which can have the effect of looking past potential type players to one or two and doners or transferrers. At the same time, if players can become 1-2 year players and then move on, it could cause many programs to "tough it out" and take the time to develop potential type players, that is if the player is willing to "tough it out" and not go where they can get to play with what they have in the way of ability. I guess time will tell....

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Rae shoots 40% from deep. How is that not deadly?

I don't like Jordan at the 4. I think they need some bulk and a consistent midrange shot.

I can see your points, and Rae is deadly from three. But we need another 3 point shooter, as the loss to Mich showed, IMHO. Can't count on Walker for that. Who that would be if Horston plays the 4? I don't know, maybe someone from the transfer portal. I think Horston's strength and quickness cancels a bulky opponent? The question is whether the team is better with Horston at the three or four. Given that we do not have a sure thing right now for the other wing, nor a sure thing for the four, it's a toss up in my mind.

We really need Jordan to become a better shooter over the summer. It will happen if she works at it. Whether she plays four, three, two, or one. 37 and 28 just not starting shooting percentages.

Agree. I'm think if would be easier for her to develop a deadly mid range shot than a long range during the off season, but who knows?

I understand and agree with what you say, but the direction the game is going in, is win know. (as are most college sports) Yesterday I heard or saw that women basketballers are starting to ask for the ability to go pro earlier. This will put more pressure on the programs to win now, which can have the effect of looking past potential type players to one or two and doners or transferrers. At the same time, if players can become 1-2 year players and then move on, it could cause many programs to "tough it out" and take the time to develop potential type players, that is if the player is willing to "tough it out" and not go where they can get to play with what they have in the way of ability. I guess time will tell....
I hope they don’t do that. To me it is important for them to get a good education. Their bodies can’t take abuse forever. That’s where the education comes in.

I hope they don’t do that. To me it is important for them to get a good education. Their bodies can’t take abuse forever. That’s where the education comes in.

I think the bigger difference to the men is that women professional league pay is not life changing for most making education more needed.

Reactions: Lucy

I still that is a few years down the road. Even if the WNBA does allow earlier entry, I don't think we will see the flood of "one and done" players that the men's game has. The economics are just different.

So, player development remains part of an important aspect of the women's game and even in the men's game really. Schools like Gonzaga tend to keep players longer, at least through their junior years. Not everybody is a Duke of KY.

I just wonder how many of these players are in it for even a smell of a "higher education". Last night after the beatdown by Baylor, it was disclosed that one of Baylor's bigs "had come back for one more year. They said he was 24 years old!! Said not one word about what degree he had or was pursuing. I wonder.

I just wonder how many of these players are in it for even a smell of a "higher education". Last night after the beatdown by Baylor, it was disclosed that one of Baylor's bigs "had come back for one more year. They said he was 24 years old!! Said not one word about what degree he had or was pursuing. I wonder.

Mark Vital redshirted his freshman year, so he was a 5th year senior. I don't think that's too unusual, other than the fact that he either started school 1 year late or repeated a grade.

I think the majority of the players who realize that they aren't good enough to play in the pros will enjoy the perks of a free degree while they get to play ball. I would guess their level of commitment to education is probably directly tied to their post-collegiate basketball options. Vital is likely not good enough to go pro, so I'm guessing that he wanted to play as many years as possible while earning his degree.

Looks like Salary is going to be the only portal player for Tennessee so we have two scholarships to give. We need to give them and they need to be bigtime. Time to no longer worry about who gets to play we have to do all the get the roster to where we can win.

When the rules change the coaches and programs that adapt to those changes quickest usually have more success earlier. We've seen it with the shot clock, the 3 point line, scholarship limits (did you know Bear Bryant used to dress 122 players for Bama home football games?) and now we have the transfer portal. Embrace it. If you think the transfer portal sucks, embrace the suck. Hope Kellie and crew upgrade every year as well as encourage players that may not have a future in the program to seek playing time elsewhere. Lady Vol basketball should be elite, it's not supposed to be everybody's cup of tea.

Keke Mckinney and Celeste Taylor...🧡

But why? Keke's career stats are okay but not really an upgrade with what we already have at the 4. I'd much rather see what Keyen can do and give the rest of those minutes to Marta and Karoline (and maybe Sara if the plan is to play her inside and out).

Everyone loves to complain about our guard shooting and ball handling, so why bring in Celeste Taylor, whose stats were basically identical her freshman and sophomore seasons: 35% FG, 37% 2pt. FG, 29% 3pt. FG, and 59% FT (dropped this year), and a negative A/TO ratio. She showed she can hit shots in the big moments in the NCAA tournament, and she's an excellent defender, but is that really what we need?

But why? Keke's career stats are okay but not really an upgrade with what we already have at the 4. I'd much rather see what Keyen can do and give the rest of those minutes to Marta and Karoline (and maybe Sara if the plan is to play her inside and out).

Everyone loves to complain about our guard shooting and ball handling, so why bring in Celeste Taylor, whose stats were basically identical her freshman and sophomore seasons: 35% FG, 37% 2pt. FG, 29% 3pt. FG, and 59% FT (dropped this year), and a negative A/TO ratio. She showed she can hit shots in the big moments in the NCAA tournament, and she's an excellent defender, but is that really what we need?

Exactly.

Reactions: Lucy

Right on the money. They are both good players, but not players who would likely make an immediate or lasting impact for us.

Taylor’s FT percentage and A/TO ratio are problematic for me. Still think she ends up at Syracuse. It’s back home and they’re going to have to get players somewhere.

McKinney doesn’t rebound well enough for me. It’s nice to have a 4 player who can consistently knock in the 3. We need them to average 6-9 rebounds as well though. For her career she only averages 4.5 rebounds. Tells me she’s not really interested in pursuing them. At her height and athleticism she should be grabbing double that most nights. Always thought that was part of the reason she didn’t end up in Knoxville initially. Even Holly wouldn’t have someone around who won’t go grab a board.

Also not impressed that over a third of her shots came from 3. She doesn’t have any ability to score inside in the SEC. Keyen is a better option IMO and then Marta, Karoline and Sarah can come in and play the stretch 4 when needed. Remains to be seen if Keyen has used this time to improve her range. Pretty common for players to do that while rehabbing from an ACL. You can’t do a lot of things, but you can get shots up and work on your shooting form.

VN Store

Back