Destin or Siesta Key?

I was honestly quite disappointed in our last trip to SK. Destin has great beaches and beautiful (expensive) places to stay, lots to do. You might consider looking east just a bit, Miramar and even out onto 30A. There are some awesome, less congested spots with awesome accommodations.

I was honestly quite disappointed in our last trip to SK. Destin has great beaches and beautiful (expensive) places to stay, lots to do. You might consider looking east just a bit, Miramar and even out onto 30A. There are some awesome, less congested spots with awesome accommodations.
Yeah, we are staying in Fort Walton. Heard it’s less crowded, but not far away from anything.

If you want relaxing don’t go to Destin. Navarre Beach is on the west side of Ft Walton, has the same sand and water as Destin or Ft Walton but none of the constant traffic gridlock or crowds. If you want to go to Destin from there for a restaurant or something it’s a 30 minute drive.

Reactions: jps2194
If you just want relaxing, go to Cape San Blas or St. George Island. There are places to eat in Port St. Joe, Apalachicola, etc. You will have to rent a house though. No high rise hotels or Putt Putts.

I've visited both many times and both are great. The beach and water is relatively the same (fluffy white sand, emerald green waters) and both have good places to eat. Siesta Key is obviously close to Tampa / Clearwater, so if you want some big city things to do, that may be a better fit (i.e., NFL game, MLB game, etc.). Offshore / Inshore fishing is roughly equivalent - both have buried wrecks and structure all over - but I would say the intracoastal in Siesta Key is more vast and interesting to explore than the Destin area. Not sure where you are driving from - but Destin is a shorter drive from TN than Siesta Key - probably 2-3 hours shorter drive depending on your origination. Destin traffic is a mess, but I've also experienced bad traffic in Siesta Key.

Long story short, both are great and you won't be disappointed in the beaches. Not sure how they compare on price - seems like Siesta Key might have been slightly cheaper, but honestly haven't compared in a long time. I would like slightly East or West of Destin if you decide to go to that area - less crowded and same amenities.

Thanks for helping me out. We are staying in Fort Walton. Decided to go to Destin and go up to Pensacola for a day.

VN Store

Back