Derek Barnett ONLY Player In SEC History....

In college? Sure.

But as a pro prospect? Hell no.

I love Barnett and appreciate his incredible play this year but he's not in the same hemisphere as Myles Garrett when it comes to projecting to the NFL.

Myles Garrett is the next Bruce Smith IMO. He's the same size (about 6'4" 265 lbs) and has similar strength and explosiveness. Myles Garrett should be the no-brainer #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I wouldn't say the same for Barnett. He's more of a late 1st round/early 2nd round prospect in value. His NFL comparison is Charles Johnson of the Panthers.

I used to actually semi enjoy your posts but now I think you might be on crack cocaine. Please seek help.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, but top 5 pick he's got to declare...he helped bring us back though.. now he needs to go get that check and take care of the people that helped him be the man he is today...next man up!

You are most likely right. But what if he wants to get his degree first like some others have done?? Some of these guys really do think beyond football.

Not sure how anyone could possibly leave Mr Doug Atkins off a greatest defensive player at UT list. If sacks were a state when he played, he may very well have the record that Barnett is chasing.

Mr. Doug Atkins. If these young guys could have seen him play they would know as we do that Atkins was the best Defense lineman from the hill. Didn't see him in college, but saw him on TV, even at the pro level he look like and was a man among men. Not many have ever played the game that were as feared as he was. So Bill Wade ( Vandy and Bears QB 50's -60's) told me in the seventies at a meeting one night in Jackson Tn. During the 70's if you were at to Hyatt in Knoxville on Friday night, there was always a party in the lobby with as many as 150-200 people there. You could stand on the steps at the end of the lobby and see him towering over most ever one on the floor. BIG, BIG, MAN.

My fav player in Football! Got a mean disposition but quiet. Don't brag and run his mouth, just produces. One of the top edge rushers every year and the best at tkl and tfl. He took over that UF game and we all owe him that victory imo. Hate to see him go but no way in heck should he risk another year if he ends this season healthy. Go get that mud DB!
I agree. I dont want to see him go, but theres not much to gain by staying his senior year.

In college? Sure.

But as a pro prospect? Hell no.

I love Barnett and appreciate his incredible play this year but he's not in the same hemisphere as Myles Garrett when it comes to projecting to the NFL.

Myles Garrett is the next Bruce Smith IMO. He's the same size (about 6'4" 265 lbs) and has similar strength and explosiveness. Myles Garrett should be the no-brainer #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I wouldn't say the same for Barnett. He's more of a late 1st round/early 2nd round prospect in value. His NFL comparison is Charles Johnson of the Panthers.

You obviously are talking about some thing you know nothing about.Given many of your past predictions that's totally understandable.

Reactions: 1 person
What a badass. I feel like he's never received the attention he deserves for his play. The guy is a freak...hope the Titans can keep him in state next year.

Even as a Titans fan I'm getting his jersey no matter where he goes.

The only reason Garrett will be drafted higher is because he's got an NFL ready body. Production wise Barnett has outplayed Garrett against better competition. Look at the stats in the SEC. I'm not even convinced Garrett is the better player, yet, even close to the #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft?

Not much noise this year...Garrett must be injured pretty badly...or is pulling a clowney.

One of the toughest and elusive stats are sacks. Those are very hard to come by. You can have a QB that throws for +40 TD's, 2,000 yd rushers etc. But, sacks are a totally different beast. Now, for someone to avg 10 sacks a season, in college, there's a reason why it's never been done before. He should be getting accolades and a spot on ESPN for his accomplishment, but I doubt he gets it. Think of the college greats: Reggie White, Terrell Suggs, Peppers (30 career sacks/#2 Draft Pick), Clowney, Corey Moore (35 sacks), Elvis Dumervil, Dwight Freeney (34 career sacks), and Woodley who won the Lombardi with only 12 sacks his senior year. If he comes back next year, the sack records would be put out of reach, but for his accomplishments thus far, I can't understand him being shunned for the Nagorski.

I've loved having him as a Vol, he will be missed.

VN Store

Back