Delmonico Question

I think there were other distractions - but he has 3 of the nicest, most polite kids you would ever hope to meet. Good ball players, but just great kids imho.

Yes, I from everything I know and have heard he’s a good guy too. Just did a few things the a lot of normal folks can do but not when you are a head ball coach at a major university. Trust me, I’m casting no stones……

Reactions: vol66
Don't even get me started, Gorilla ball, soft ball uniforms, I was at a tournament at Farragut and in addition to focusing on his hot dog, he went out of his was to spout how Tennessee had recruited too many local kids including Farragut in the past and he was going to
put an end to that. He just came across as a complete jerk, and had a complete team revolt against him when he was at Western Carolina or wherever it was he coached prior to U.T.
He was a complete embarrassment and not qualified to drive the team bus.

Of all the crap he did, I remember the uniforms the team wore when he took over were some of the ugliest things I had ever seen.

I know Chris doesn't ant to sound like a It homwr, but they really are stroking LSU today. "Oh he hit it to Tyson Airport....."

Rucker hit two also, but they aint stroking him.

Reactions: feathersax
People didn't really like him including some players. This is what I know from players I know personally. I think if you are not well liked and there are other there reasons to move on, then well you are gone.

Reactions: feathersax
Delmonico and his staff rarely recruited kids outside of Knoxville. Yes, RJ Dickey fell in his lap (RJ would have gone to Vandy but they didn’t accept him). I know personally how lazy RD & his staff were during the late 90s recruiting mid state kids.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Delmonico and his staff rarely recruited kids outside of Knoxville. Yes, RJ Dickey fell in his lap (RJ would have gone to Vandy but they didn’t accept him). I know personally how lazy RD & his staff were during the late 90s recruiting mid state kids.
He was primarily recruiting Miami- i’ll let you connect the dots.

Delmonico was the best baseball guy I’ve ever been around. I remember going to a camp Raleigh’s first year, took my son, and thinking, we’re in big trouble!

Of all the crap he did, I remember the uniforms the team wore when he took over were some of the ugliest things I had ever seen.
R28dad5ecaa39ba796c51928659b9e099

To put a finer point on that, I don’t think he’s been hired as a college head coach. For a period of time he was on Florida State staff. Also he was the head coach in the world baseball classic for, if I recall correctly, Denmark. while most people will roll their eyes for being the head coach of Denmark, their country also includes their territories in the Caribbean. They knocked off some of the heavy weights that year.

The Netherlands, not Denmark. They don’t grow baseball in Daneland.

Reactions: kcvols1
Don't even get me started, Gorilla ball, soft ball uniforms, I was at a tournament at Farragut and in addition to focusing on his hot dog, he went out of his was to spout how Tennessee had recruited too many local kids including Farragut in the past and he was going to
put an end to that. He just came across as a complete jerk, and had a complete team revolt against him when he was at Western Carolina or wherever it was he coached prior to U.T.
He was a complete embarrassment and not qualified to drive the team bus.
Heard a story about Raleigh when he was here. We had a player whose mother had passed away before the season began. After the player struck out Raleigh told him something to the effect of "I'm glad your mother wasn't alive to see that"

Reactions: Wireless1
A little more than that. Demonico did not like his contract situation and essentially was doing contract negotiation/griping in the media. He misread his leverage. Delmonico's buyout wasn't too bad so Hammy fired him so he could put his stamp on the program (i.e., a cheap and uninspiring hire)
Correct he went through the KNS and let it play it out publicly.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Heard a story about Raleigh when he was here. We had a player whose mother had passed away before the season began. After the player struck out Raleigh told him something to the effect of "I'm glad your mother wasn't alive to see that"
More proof of @jasonvols2.2 quote being on point

Raleigh was thought to be a needle in a haystack, but really he was a turd in a punchbowl.

Reactions: Backwards K
As a latecomer to TN baseball, can anyone give any insight into why TN released him? Two CWS appearances in 2001 and 2005 right? Only to be let go in 2007?

I'm guessing there is more to the story.

Thanks!

MIKE HAMILTON. That's what happened. This little bean counter was given the job because he convinced the Administration that he could raise money. Tired to put his stamp on the Athletic Dept and fired a first ballot HOF football coach and then fired the most successful baseball coach in the school's history til now. After destroying the football and baseball programs with the worst HC hires in UT history, he then quickly destroyed the track program and the swimming program.

Back to Rod. Heard from someone who would know, Hamilton felt that Delmonico had not shown him enough respect
while little Mike was an Asst AD.

Mike Hamilton was the single worst calamity to hit the University since the Civil War battles in and around Knoxville.

VN Store

Back