Defunct & Relocated Teams

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
Anyone supported or had an interest in a defunct or relocated professional sports team or league?
If a team moved, do you still cheer for them, root against them or just don’t care?
Interesting memorabilia & logos of former teams?
Share your stories.

Anyone supported or had an interest in a defunct or relocated professional sports team or league?
If a team moved, do you still cheer for them, root against them or just don’t care?
Interesting memorabilia & logos of former teams?
Share your stories.
1968 NSL Champions Atlanta Chiefs

220px-Atlanta-chiefs.gif

Hockey Teams Atlanta Flames,Atlanta Thrashers and Atlanta Knights

1200px-Atlanta_Flames_Logo.svg.png

kisspng-atlanta-thrashers-national-hockey-league-atlanta-f-atlanta-thrashers-5b2972ae571c64.16...jpg

index.jpg

I was a fan of the Atlanta Chiefs and soccer in the early 1980s when nobody i knew even cared about Soccer. I was also a fan of every hockey team that played in Atlanta and was saddened when the Flames went to Calgary,the Thrashers went to Winnepeg and the Knights of the IHL ceased operations when the Thrashers started up.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh, oz615 and MAD
1968 NSL Champions Atlanta Chiefs

View attachment 266264

Hockey Teams Atlanta Flames,Atlanta Thrashers and Atlanta Knights

View attachment 266265

View attachment 266266

View attachment 266267

I was a fan of the Atlanta Chiefs and soccer in the early 1980s when nobody i knew even cared about Soccer. I was also a fan of every hockey team that played in Atlanta and was saddened when the Flames went to Calgary,the Thrashers went to Winnepeg and the Knights of the IHL ceased operations when the Thrashers started up.
I would have thought the Thrashers would have been successful in Atlanta. Look how well they support soccer now. You think another NHL team gives it a go there?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I would have thought the Thrashers would have been successful in Atlanta. Look how well they support soccer now. You think another NHL team gives it a go there?
The ownership of the Thrashers were the same bunch that owns the Braves along with the Hawks and they weren't serious about winning as long as they made a profit which affected the attendance in a big way prompting them to sell the team. What did in the Flames in Atlanta was expensive ticket prices in the late 1970s which really hurt attendance during the late 1970s-early 1980s major recession. I don't think Atlanta will ever get another NHL hockey team after losing two of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
The Memphis Express. I still want a helmet

gettyimages-1133253744-612x612.jpg

@mad4vols you'd appreciate this one. The Adirondack (Glens Falls, NY) had the Red Wings AHL affiliate for 20 years. They won 4 Calder Cups.

Adirondack_red_wings_200x200.png

One of my first NBA memories was watching game 4 of the eastern conference semifinals between the Boston Celtics vs Buffalo Braves. To this day it’s still one of the most exciting games I have seen. Braves had Bob McAdoo and were down 10 points in the 4th qtr. and won it at the buzzer. Not sure what happened to the Braves if they folded or moved.

On a side note I watched another Braves team two days later when Hank Aaron hit home run 715, a memory I’ll never forget.

One of my first NBA memories was watching game 4 of the eastern conference semifinals between the Boston Celtics vs Buffalo Braves. To this day it’s still one of the most exciting games I have seen. Braves had Bob McAdoo and were down 10 points in the 4th qtr. and won it at the buzzer. Not sure what happened to the Braves if they folded or moved.

On a side note I watched another Braves team two days later when Hank Aaron hit home run 715, a memory I’ll never forget.
Didn't the Braves move to San Diego and were renamed the Clippers, the same crew who eventually took up residence in LA?

I don't think I ever noticed you were an Arsenal fan.

Didn't the Braves move to San Diego and were renamed the Clippers, the same crew who eventually took up residence in LA?
Makes sense, there is probably some kind of Buffalo curse that prevents the Clippers from winning the Championship.
Feel bad for Buffalo, they have come so close but have never won anything. I know my Lions are the worst team in NFL history for the last 60 years but at least I have seen the Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings all win championships.

When I was living in Columbus, Ohio I went to a few Quest games, I believe they had a few former Lady Vols. They were part of the ABL, a women’s basketball league that eventually folded.
E5E53A61-7A8C-4C4C-90FF-D89640309933.png

The Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and became the Clippers in 1978.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD

VN Store

Back