Definition of success for our new coach

allenrikvik

No idea of who our new coach will be. I have my preference, but I will support the whomever is selected. However, I do have expectations and I wanted to get thoughts on the definition of a successful coach given a 3 year window.

Successful

* consecutive 8+ win season
AND
* consecutive top 10 recruiting classes
AND
* no recruiting violations

Reactions: 1 person
Win all home games.
Beat Florida, Georgia & Alabama.
Win SEC title game.
Play in BCS bowl game.

with a new coach coming,I'm going to say anything better than 6 wins next year and build up from there,if it is a solid coach without much name recognition,it will slow the process up,of course these days,it will be 3 years or your fired,hmmm that might be why it is taking so long too

Right now (this past season) there are two divisions in the SEC. In my view the composition of these divisions change every year depending on who is up and who is down and the final season records tell the tale.

My definition of success is get us into the Winners division and keep us there and that means we need to win against at least 1 (preferably 2+) of whoever the Winners are that year. The only way you get into the Winners division is by beating one or more of the Winners in that regular season and sweeping the Losers that year.

Winners

Alabama - qualified by beating LSU
LSU - qualified by beating South Carolina & A&M
Florida - qualified by beating LSU & South Carolina
Georgia - qualified by beating Florida
South Carolina - qualified by beating Georgia
Texas A&M - qualified by beating Alabama

Losers

Arkansas
Mississippi State
Mississippi
Kentucky
Tennessee
Missouri
Auburn
Vanderbilt

Vandy ended the season with an 8-4 record which is pretty impressive EXCEPT they never beat anybody. Mississippi State was ranked in the top 15 at one point BUT they NEVER beat anybody. Ole Miss out performed expectations this year BUT they never beat anybody. All 3 of these teams are going to bowls which is nice BUT this year none of them beat anyone in the Winners division.

Get us into the winners division and keep us there. Only then will we consistently compete for talent and championships.

Start by taking the job.

This. But you set the bar a little low. By your standard, Charlie Strong is already a success at UT. I would suggest:

Benchmark 1 - Accept the job.

Benchmark 2 - Do not waiver in your acceptance of the job even though we tell you it's going to be 12 or 15 hours until we can announce it because we don't want to overshadow one of our greatest coach's Hall of Fame induction.

Benchmark 3 - Sign a contract and be introduced at a press conference.

The rest is gravy.

VN Store

Back