Defensive Sets

Ummm, other than this year, when was the last time that we were excited to stop a guy for a 3 yard gain? Our run defense is one of the tops in the nation annually.

True HV, but there is concern over returning DT depth and quality. I disagree with you on the fact that we dont have good enough middle linebackers for a 3-4. Maybe not the size that is desireable, but the mere idea of a 3-4 is to through off blocking assignments.

Let's not forget the fact that many defensive recruits are picked based on their ability to work in a 4-3. Most OLBs in a 3-4 are a little larger than what ours are with the same speed because they have to be able to shed OTs and TEs on any outside runs. The 4-3 UT runs is fine when they have enought talent at DT to be able to run 5-6 in and out during the game. Even when Haynesworth and Henderson started, they very rarely played more than 60% of the stats. A lot of NFL teams are doing this now because the talent levels of DTs are pretty much the same (except for a few superstars).

I am not a big fan of 3-4. For us, I think at least we don't have a strong NT to play 3-4. We couldn't even control the line by 4 DL players last year, I think 3 DL would be worse.

Ummm, other than this year, when was the last time that we were excited to stop a guy for a 3 yard gain? Our run defense is one of the tops in the nation annually.

One right off the top off my head, Auburn with Ronnie Brown and Cadillac. How many times under Chavis have we had them at 3rd and long and we go to that stupid 3-4 and they break a 20 yard run on us. I might just be remembering the few, but it seems to happen quite a bit. Chavis' 3-4 is too far spread on the line, hell you could squeeze two runners in between those linemen. I say load the line, pressure the qb and let the dbacks take care of the rest.

I would rather a qb have to beat us then have a runner pound it down our throats.

Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams were both 1st rounders as was their QB. That team was stacked and they did that to the best defenses they faced.

O and your assessment of how you want our defense to be, is almost exactly what our defense is. Just check the stats other than this last year. There may be a game or two here and there but almost every defense has those games.

I'm not sure what defensive set you'd call it, but I would think with the roster we have a 4 d line, 2 linebackers, and 5 db's would be best suited to face the speed the SEC now fields. A 5th db as a rover I think would really help support the run if he could be mobile and and is an excellent fundamental tackler...that and he watches film.

5 DBs? LBs are this teams strong point with Jerod Mayo, Ryan Karl, Rico McCoy, Ellix Wilson, and Chris Donald. DBs are the question mark.

True, and I see your point that most would set up their defense by what strenths you have...but do these lb's have the speed to not only stop the run but also drop back in coverage? I honestly can't remember a Vols lb that impressed me defending recievers since the mid 90's, not to mention the LB's fundamental tackling hasn't been exactly awesome.

True, and I see your point that most would set up their defense by what strenths you have...but do these lb's have the speed to not only stop the run but also drop back in coverage? I honestly can't remember a Vols lb that impressed me defending recievers since the mid 90's, not to mention the LB's fundamental tackling hasn't been exactly awesome.
this young group of linebackers we have right now are extremely fast. in a year or two they will be scary.

this young group of linebackers we have right now are extremely fast. in a year or two they will be scary.

And that is my whole point as to why a 3-4 wouldnt be bad to consider right now. Someone mentioned that we couldnt stop the run with 4 lineman, how are we going to with 3 but they dont understand the fundamentals of the 3-4. Most of the time you bring 4 if not 5 people to plug the holes.
I think we can find a serviceable NT, if we can find someone to play middle LB along with Mayo, I believe it can be done.

I think Chris Walker is big enough to be a good Middle LB even though I think he was an outside LB in highschool.

In a 3-4, a team needs a Nose Tackle and a DE who can occupy 2 offensive lineman each. In a 4-3, only one DT is expected to be double-teamed.

Otherwise your LB is going to get double-teamed instead. I don't think UT has 2 defensive linemen who can do that. LB's in a 3-4 get double-teamed more often then in a 3-4. So they are expected to be bigger and stronger then LB's in a 4-3.

UT could have probably used 5 defensive lineman in some games last year to stop the run. UT's didn't have one defensive lineman who could take on a double team well last year. A 3-4 is going to make that problem worse.

Most teams use mutliple offensive and defensive sets, so I like the idea of mixing up the defense. I think Fulmer and Chavis get to set in their philosphy and predictable, and let the opposing teams get comfortable with what they think they will run.

UT probably has the DL capable of the 3-4 but you need ILB's that are bigger than theirs even if slower. It can work on long yardage but would be easy pickings with current personnel on regular downs.

BTW, Bolden and Mapu should be fine. Depth will be the problem. DE could potentially even be a strength depending on whether or how many LB's convert and how well they come along.

A couple of guys mentioned Karl being too small but UTSports lists him at 225 same as Wilson so he could bulk up to 240. Mathis is listed as 245- Is he headed toward DE?

When they called Karl small I think they were talking about his heighth. He is only 6ft tall. Ellix Wilson is like 5'10, maybe 5'11. And I think I remember someone saying he has already converted to DE. Mathis that is.

VN Store

Back