Defensive Sets

LittleDTO

I didnt know which forum to put this in. In light of us having so much talent coming in this next year, and a lack of DT depth, do you think there is any chance we run or experiment with a 3-4 this year?

I can see some of our fast, athletic linebackers being real beasts on run blitz and pass blitz packages.

Also, we will have a lack of experience in our secondary so pressure on the defensive front is a must.

good point/question, you've got to believe that Chief will consider that, but I think our d-line will be good enough to stay in a 4-3

The staff has reportedly discussed it, but I think we don't have the right pieces to run it.

No True NT, Iffy DEs, and no capable MLB's. You need beef at the NT position and 2 tough MLBs vs. the run and we dont seem to have either.

Bolden is probably our beefiest NT and he is 6'5'' so naturally will struggle getting leverage. Whoever gets leverage would play. A combo of Karl/Mayo/Donald/McCoy would have to work in the middle but I'm not convinced it would.

We definetly have the OLB's though!

I think it would be interesting to use in situations to get pressure but I don't think we could solely rely on it

Yeah, i can see us using it more on third down for speed and blitz packages but not for every down.. Teams would run all over us..

Forgive me if this is dumb question, but what defense did we run this year? I know it was a zone of some kind...did it have a fancy name?

Yeah, i can see us using it more on third down for speed and blitz packages but not for every down.. Teams would run all over us..

teams ran all over us anyway (Penn State) and I think you're thinking of the Mustang

Our defense this year ended up having to blitz a linebacker anyway. Sometimes two or a SS just to get pressure. We mainly run a zone blitz and on the occasion we do run man, it is usually man down with a cover 1 or 2 over the top.
We got beat on pretty much 3 types of plays this year.
1: A and B hole runs
2: Play action over the middle slants
3: Play action deep over Morely

Forgive me if this is dumb question, but what defense did we run this year? I know it was a zone of some kind...did it have a fancy name?

No fancy name . . .Chavis runs a base 4-3 and likes to play man coverage.

i think they will move Jarod Mayo to Middle Linebacker.. Both Mccoy and Karl and too small to play the that position. Plus, we use Mccoys and Karls speed to rush from the outside.
The only thing is that Mayo will need to add on about 10 more pounds for that spot. He's a little undersized for that position but not as small as Karl or McCoy.

i think they will move Jarod Mayo to Middle Linebacker.. Both Mccoy and Karl and too small to play the that position. Plus, we use Mccoys and Karls speed to rush from the outside.
The only thing is that Mayo will need to add on about 10 more pounds for that spot. He's a little undersized for that position but not as small as Karl or McCoy.
That's what I was thinking.

good point/question, you've got to believe that Chief will consider that, but I think our d-line will be good enough to stay in a 4-3

I personally would like to see a 5-2 provided we have the DT's to make up that line.

I personally would like to see a 5-2 provided we have the DT's to make up that line.

not a 5-2 , hell our d- line is our weakest link . We have a ton of talent at Lb, lets roll with a 4-3 or 3-4 , when we play Arkansas we can roll with a 4-4

We don't have the personel to run a 3-4 and we would be stupid to use the 5-2 as the base set. The premier QBs in this league would demolish a 5-2 defense.

I wouldn't mind seeing some 4-4 given our depth at linebacker and the fact that we only have one safety with experience. The advantage is that size and strength is not the most important thing. You would need good fast corners to use it, but I think we've got that. That would look something like this

DE Mitchell
DT Bolden
DT Mapu
DE Reynolds
OLB McCoy
MLB Donald
MLB Mayo
OLB Karl
CB Berry
S Hefney
CB Willingham

HV, I agree that we dont have a true NT but I do believe that Mapu could be serviceable at the position.
Mitchell and Bolden would serve as quality DE in a 3-4.

On another note, does anyone know how well Donald covers the pass? If he is good for a LB, then I can see us using more of a 4-4 this year.

Mapu wouldn't be that serviceable. He is likely too big. We would have some good DEs for the 3-4 and good OLB, but not enough NTs or MLBs, maybe in a couple years though.

We won't use a 4-4 because Chief already puts his DBs on an island. I'm not sure how well Donald covers the pass, though.

We don't have the personel to run a 3-4 and we would be stupid to use the 5-2 as the base set. The premier QBs in this league would demolish a 5-2 defense.

I wouldn't mind seeing some 4-4 given our depth at linebacker and the fact that we only have one safety with experience. The advantage is that size and strength is not the most important thing. You would need good fast corners to use it, but I think we've got that. That would look something like this

DE Mitchell
DT Bolden
DT Mapu
DE Reynolds
OLB McCoy
MLB Donald
MLB Mayo
OLB Karl
CB Berry
S Hefney
CB Willingham

What premier qb will we face in the sec this year, Tebow has not shown he can throw, Ga has questions, Arkansas has no one, I dont know about alabama, but our sec schedule looks like maybe KY will have the best qb of our opponents. I might be schooled for this, but I just dont think that the sec is going to have a premier qb other than Ainge this year, at least on our schedule.

As far as the Dline being our weakest link, maybe it is because we dont have enough people on the line. I love Chavis, but my biggest complaint about any of his formations is how far apart our linemen set. Bunch em up let the linebackers and corners close down the outside. JMO, may be why i am not paid as a coach.

What premier qb will we face in the sec this year, Tebow has not shown he can throw, Ga has questions, Arkansas has no one, I dont know about alabama, but our sec schedule looks like maybe KY will have the best qb of our opponents. I might be schooled for this, but I just dont think that the sec is going to have a premier qb other than Ainge this year, at least on our schedule.

As far as the Dline being our weakest link, maybe it is because we dont have enough people on the line. I love Chavis, but my biggest complaint about any of his formations is how far apart our linemen set. Bunch em up let the linebackers and corners close down the outside. JMO, may be why i am not paid as a coach.

Premier was maybe the wrong word, but the point is that any real QB will shred a 5-2 defense. Too much space in the middle of the field and not enough guys to cover.

Premier was maybe the wrong word, but the point is that any real QB will shred a 5-2 defense. Too much space in the middle of the field and not enough guys to cover.

You are probably right, I am just tired of being excited about stopping a guy for a three yard gain.

Ummm, other than this year, when was the last time that we were excited to stop a guy for a 3 yard gain? Our run defense is one of the tops in the nation annually.

VN Store

Back