Defensive line cmon

Because we don't have any depth.

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

We have a few good players there, but nowhere near enough.

There may be a lot of truth to this. GA St had em totally gassed in that summer game. That's how they marched the field on us.

One other thing I've wondered. Has anyone ever thought of how much energy is spent rotating linemen between plays. Those guys are sprinting 30 yards in or out. Makes me wonder if that creates nearly as much fatigue as a play. Is the "right" personnel really worth it?

Citing depth as a reason doesn't really explain it IMHO.

Lack of depth would explain being disruptive and getting a push early but not being able to sustain it as the game goes on. The push really hasn't been there at all yet.

Maybe with more time and development the Dline will come around and with another recruiting class (if it's a solid haul of dline guys) maybe UT will have some dominate dlinemen with capable backups.

I keep hearing Simmons is a redshirt candidate this year. Okay he has 4 games he can play in and remain eligible. When they gonna allow this big dog to eat? Which 4 ya'll?

Georgia has the best offensive line in college football, and a very experienced QB to pick up blitzes. That hardly counts. They looked decent against Florida and pretty good against BYU.

Depth is an issue, we're also missing our best lineman in Gooden, the rest except for Solomon are very young/ inexperienced.

I keep hearing Simmons is a redshirt candidate this year. Okay he has 4 games he can play in and remain eligible. When they gonna allow this big dog to eat? Which 4 ya'll?
I had a theory that we’re saving him for the ‘gauntlet’. I was wrong on that one so I am revising that theory. If we beat MsSt, we may see him in the last four SEC games in an attempt to become bowl eligible. Unless there is a problem we are unaware of, I see no good reason not to use him in four games.

One word depth, you can't expect the 300lb guys being referred to to play at a high level the whole game, it certainly helps if our offense can sustain drives to give them a minute but most of the time they're worn out by halftime. 30+ plays a game is a ridiculous amount for 1 guy to play and still be expected to be there at the end

Citing depth as a reason doesn't really explain it IMHO.

Lack of depth would explain being disruptive and getting a push early but not being able to sustain it as the game goes on. The push really hasn't been there at all yet.

Maybe with more time and development the Dline will come around and with another recruiting class (if it's a solid haul of dline guys) maybe UT will have some dominate dlinemen with capable backups.
So you expect a player to play 70-80 plays a game and not become tired. They are not super human and and like of depth is the principle Ramon for the fall off play in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Experienced depth is just as important as good talent.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
There may be a lot of truth to this. GA St had em totally gassed in that summer game. That's how they marched the field on us.

One other thing I've wondered. Has anyone ever thought of how much energy is spent rotating linemen between plays. Those guys are sprinting 30 yards in or out. Makes me wonder if that creates nearly as much fatigue as a play. Is the "right" personnel really worth it?

Nah. They can jog on/off the field all day. Nothing compared to maximum exertion for 3-5 seconds at a time in an 8-play series.

There's a reason everyone does it....

Reactions: Remy and livefaith
Why is this unit so f bad?

Got a couple basic 5 stars in Solomon and Emerson (High 4). 300lb guys

The rest are a mix of top juco recruits and 4/3 stars. Some guys solidly 280-300lbs. I mean they get no push. I seriously don’t get it. Darrel Middleton is huge

Totally the Achilles heel, can’t win a game without pressure. These guys should be playing better, this looks like at least mid sec level talent. Miss state has a huge o line sigh, I wonder if it’s a speed thing. Prob not athletic enough to get around guys on end. Not impressed with d line development

I have not watched very close the d line, so I am just going to speculate here, and with this said I will watch some of the games and observe dl play. First, I dont think we blitz enough, that part I feel strongly about. Since we are not blitzing enough, is it possible opposing teams are putting enough blockers to keep dl off of qb? I just feel we need to blitz more. One thing for sure we have to get some kind of pass rush in whatever way we have to do it. Cause it is obvious we cant do it with dl alone.

Starters are good, college football is a different game than high school & the NFL. In NFL & high school it’s all about your starters.

In college it’s about depth to rest your starters. The guys you mentioned are playing well. Tennessee just needs quality depth to have those guys still playing strong in the 4th quarter.

Maybe we just need even more sc. Like just how long is dl on the field? With proper sc maybe starters could play longer? 2 hours? With lots of breaks in between. I agree they get tired but just how long should a properly trained dl be able to play of those maybe 2 hours on the field with several breaks in between?

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

This is not a defensive "depth issue"

Neither is this.

Reactions: Pimpnorange1
Most every post I have read stated that there was some talent on the D-line but that it was very young and lacked experience. We also lost the core of the D-line to graduation . We know that we need to recruit more D-linemen

Does it make u wonder about Pruitt's recruits on dl? Appears butches dl was better than now?

Reactions: Pimpnorange1
Our players on the D line are not good. I do not see the elite athletes on our D line right now in order to win in the SEC.

Our biggest concern with rocker coming in is pretty much coming to fruition.We were warned etc but I took it with a grain of salt but results speak for themselves

I think I'm right in saying that the whole unit had less than 5 career starts when the season began... and had just lost their best player who may have represented a couple of those starts. Most of them had never played in a college game at all. Some were underdeveloped by Jones. Some... just aren't very good players.

Solomon was probably overrated. He can become a good player... but he wasn't a 5* at Michigan and hasn't been yet at UT.

The rest are a mix of top juco recruits and 4/3 stars. Some guys solidly 280-300lbs. I mean they get no push. I seriously don’t get it. Darrel Middleton is huge
If you are talking primarily about UGA then consider that they've allowed one sack all year long.... to FCS Murray State. Couple that with Fromm being great at reading D's and getting the ball out quickly and you aren't going to get much push on them.

Totally the Achilles heel, can’t win a game without pressure. These guys should be playing better, this looks like at least mid sec level talent. Miss state has a huge o line sigh, I wonder if it’s a speed thing. Prob not athletic enough to get around guys on end. Not impressed with d line development
The DL was a question and is now confirmed a weakness. They need more talent, development, and experience. Even so, they have some flashes here and there.

For me, the biggest disappointment has been Taylor and Johnson. They really should be more of a force.

If there's a silver lining, four of UT's remaining 6 SEC opponents are in the bottom of the league in sacks allowed.

trock.jpg

We’ve held 3 of 5 opponents under 200 yards rushing. Are they really that bad? Seems like they’ve been average to me but what do I know

Losing Emmit Gooden was a big blow before the season started.

And replacing 3 starters. We’ve known for a while that they’d be a weakness, but they’ve actually played better than I expected. This thread surprises me.

This just doesn’t hold water with me. Depth explains why you get tired and worn down.

They can’t get anywhere near a quarterback at any point in a game without blitzing. And that’s true in the 1st quarter. That has nothing to do with depth

This just doesn’t hold water with me. Depth explains why you get tired and worn down.

They can’t get anywhere near a quarterback at any point in a game without blitzing. And that’s true in the 1st quarter. That has nothing to do with depth
Depth matters when the starters aren’t playing at all. The starter today may have been 2nd/3rd string in fall camp. For instance, if your two corners get hurt, you would be hurting having to start (probably freshman) the next game or say Dean gets hurt, his replacement won’t be the same quality, not yet.

Depth matters when the starters aren’t playing at all. The starter today may have been 2nd/3rd string in fall camp. For instance, if your two corners get hurt, you would be hurting having to start (probably freshman) the next game or say Dean gets hurt, his replacement won’t be the same quality, not yet.

How many d-lineman are hurt? I am aware of one.

There is not much depth and very little experience. This position group was projected to be the weakest on the team coming into the season, so I'm not sure what you expect.

VN Store

Back