Defensive End U?

HooahVol

From SI:

Ohio State can already make a strong case that it is DBU, with a host of defensive backs among the best in the NFL.
Chase Young's likely selection No. 2 overall in the April Draft will give the Buckeyes a legitimate argument at DEU, as well.
Following former teammate Nick Bosa, and Nick's brother, Joey, into the pros as a Top 3 choice at defensive end will forecast the same success for Young that he enjoyed at Ohio State.

I cry foul. From Doug Atkins to Reggie White and even more recently Derek Barnett I put my Vols up against the Nuts any day. Am I just a delusional Vol fan?

From SI:

I cry foul. From Doug Atkins to Reggie White and even more recently Derek Barnett I put my Vols up against the Nuts any day. Am I just a delusional Vol fan?

When your argument rests on 2 guys that enrolled 40 and 70 years ago, you might be stretching a bit (although White and Atkins were great)....

From SI:

If you’ve gotta go back half a century to make your case, yeah, you got the orange colored glasses on.

I will say that we had some excellent DEs in the 90s, and of course DB was great in his 3 years here. But we can’t claim any position group as “ours” based on the last couple decades, whereas Ohio State can rattle off 3-4 outstanding All-Americans and 1st rd picks from the last 3 years.

On another note, Nick Bosa is such a beast. He is going to be DPOY at some point, he was in on seemingly every play his rookie year and that was while being constantly double teamed and held, and fighting through some injuries

Reactions: TennMan101
If you’ve gotta go back half a century to make your case, yeah, you got the orange colored glasses on.

I will say that we had some excellent DEs in the 90s, and of course DB was great in his 3 years here. But we can’t claim any position group as “ours” based on the last couple decades, whereas Ohio State can rattle off 3-4 outstanding All-Americans and 1st rd picks from the last 3 years.

Yeah, that is a very reasonable point. Kind of the "what have you done lately" argument and Tennessee loses that argument everytime (although I still think Barnett was one of the greatest and that was just a few years ago).

OP, do not let the clowns on this forum talk you into taking off your orange tented glass. We both know that UT is the NFL U.

/thread.

I think it's silly people dismiss history just because it was "a long time ago" still happened. Great history will always be relevant.

Reactions: TennMan101 and wlkx
From SI:

Both. We haven't consistently had players of any position drafted for a good while now. BUT we've had undrafted players including, I think, a few DE make a name for themselves.

Punters!

As of the last 10 to 15 years we aren't the U of anything, maybe bad coach U. The future is bright

Last edited:
Reactions: vettefool
Do you honestly believe that Yale's titles before WWI are relevant in 2020?

All history is relevant. It's the forgetting of it that is the problem. The question you ask could be said the same for the Vols 1938, 1840, 1920, 1951 championships by some spiteful Bama fan for example. I'd tell them the same thing, all history is relevant. People get kind of stupid when they insist on forgetting history. Pride is all well and fine but like anything too much of it is no longer pride, rather it becomes arrogance.

Reactions: vettefool
Yeah, that is a very reasonable point. Kind of the "what have you done lately" argument and Tennessee loses that argument everytime (although I still think Barnett was one of the greatest and that was just a few years ago).
I think we can easily make the case that we have had 2 of the 4-5 greatest DEs in college football history with Atkins and White. We just don’t have quantity of that type of player, especially in recent times, at any position, that warrants us proclaiming “DE U” or “WRU” or “DBU” or any other position “U”.

All history is relevant. It's the forgetting of it that is the problem. The question you ask could be said the same for the Vols 1938, 1840, 1920, 1951 championships by some spiteful Bama fan for example. I'd tell them the same thing, all history is relevant. People get kind of stupid when they insist on forgetting history. Pride is all well and fine but like anything too much of it is no longer pride, rather it becomes arrogance.
That is an interesting assessment. How is anything that Yale did more than 100 years ago relevant today when they're not even competing at the same level? Vandy once had a record of 19-2-2 against Tennessee. How is that relevant today when most of us are offended by the notion that Vandy is a legitimate rival to us? The notion that people insist on forgetting history is just a strawman, at least in this context, because no one is presenting that argument. People are arguing that certain historical facts become less relevant the further removed we become. You can acknowledge that it occurred and still recognize that it doesn't currently mean much. I'm not sure why that's a controversial stance.

That is an interesting assessment. How is anything that Yale did more than 100 years ago relevant today when they're not even competing at the same level? Vandy once had a record of 19-2-2 against Tennessee. How is that relevant today when most of us are offended by the notion that Vandy is a legitimate rival to us? The notion that people insist on forgetting history is just a strawman, at least in this context, because no one is presenting that argument. People are arguing that certain historical facts become less relevant the further removed we become. You can acknowledge that it occurred and still recognize that it doesn't currently mean much. I'm not sure why that's a controversial stance.

I don't know this "controversial stance" you speak of. I happen to have a different opinion than you on history's relevancy. Got no idea how controversial stance got invited into the discussion, the nosey bassard. BTW, I also think that Spalding makes better footballs than the Wilson. Further, I believe if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Those aren't controversial stances, just opinions which you may or may not agree with.

I understand that but is that something to actually brag about, seems a little desperate to me.
desperate its just a statement of fact. Especially because in most cases they were contributing members of those teams. It's one thing if they were guys open the practice squad but these are mostly key starters. If yopu look at the fact that we haven't had a lot of first-rounders the past decade or so its even more impressive.

desperate its just a statement of fact. Especially because in most cases they were contributing members of those teams. It's one thing if they were guys open the practice squad but these are mostly key starters. If yopu look at the fact that we haven't had a lot of first-rounders the past decade or so its even more impressive.

I have to agree with you on this. It shows we always had quality players even when at our worse. Unfortunately, it also shows the UT program failed them when they needed us the most. Program mismanagement, coach hiring process, and a failure to make corrections to the same. But we had the players and their success in the pros despite not being drafted yet working their way into teams from UDFA to vital cogs in those teams. Hopefully, this failing the players is over with Pruitt & Co.

VN Store

Back