DEFENSE: What Happened?

missvol

It just amazes me how our defense can improve so much in two weeks. Can anybody explain what happened?

1. Is John Chavis a genious?
2. Is Georgia's offense that bad?
3. Did the defense mature that much in 2 weeks?
4. Can our defense continue playing this well?
5. Did the coaches find something in the defense to make it work better?

Someone please help me to understand "WHAT HAPPEN".:question:

1) UGA isn't that good.

2) I think the coaches lit a fire under the players butts.

3) We had a good game plan and stopped the run, PERIOD.

Two weeks to prepare for a team can be very useful.

we had months and months for cal... i dont think it was just because we had 2 weeks... i think that everyone - coaching and the D just stepped up big time... hats off to them :hi:

UGA has a very young OL and we took advantage of it. I hope this is a confidence boost to those guys.

Oh yeah, and we had a ton of pressure to do good. Apparently our guys (coaches and players) respond well to it.

We played up to our potential. As simple as that. Hopefully they can keep it up. Hefney played like he was expected to play.

A miracle...at least to those who have been down on the Vols all season. To those of us who have held out for better days, just a simple case of a team coming together.

The announcers keyed in on what we did differently in the run game. We swarmed to the football like our defenses used to do. The piles always included 5 or more UT defensive players. They played with intensity, and like a previous poster said, played more to our actual potential. UGA is not great. But, I am not going to take too much away from our defense. I think we played really well. If we play with that intensity and swarm to the ball like that then it could be a successful remainder of the season.

Our Defense played well and we finally got a ranked Pro Style offense to defend. Plus, it is amazing what a difference it makes when the first defender to the ball makes the stop and does not miss.

As for GA not being that good, I am not buying it totally. The college football nation of voting experts thought they were the 12th best in the country and I can hang my hat on this win for the week with that.

we kept swapping up from a 3-4 to a 4-3 every series which was great to see. i love the way we looked with the 3-4. our tackles held their own and that freed up some LB pressure.

There was an intensity before the game that I hadn't seen in a long time... during warmups they linemen were running a drill and the line coach - sorry at a loss for names was either stevens or caldwell (the guy that wears his hat backwards and has white hair) - was getting in their faces and getting them fired up. They were going after each other with vengence and there was so much energy in that simple drill. You could see the other position players gathering around that drill and watching it. Energy fed off that and I knew it was going to be a good day after watching that and the energy when running through the T..

UGA was ranked 41st in the nation in rushing. While it's not that great, it's certainly not terrible either. Our defense definitely made some improvement these last couple of weeks.

Plus, it is amazing what a difference it makes when the first defender to the ball makes the stop and does not miss.

That is the biggest improvement for this team from the previous games played this year.

1) Confidence. At some point, a few good plays will help a young unit start to believe they can stop a team.

2) Leadership. Bolden was fired up and played better than I've ever seen him play. Hefney looked like a tackle f-ball player again.

It looks like they found some identity.

I think it was a combination of things. First of all demonte bolden really seemed like he finally layed it on the line every play instead of just every other series. The whole D line really controlled the line of scrimmage allowing our line backers to make more plays. Second, I think it was all about attitude. You could almost tell by looking at them take the field at the start that they had already determined they were going to dominate. Third, UGA had nothing to scare us with. A young line, no deep threat at WR to stretch the field, and very predictable play calling. It was run on first down, run on second, and throw on third the whole game. WE knew it and were able to in our ears back

UGA has a very young OL and we took advantage of it. I hope this is a confidence boost to those guys.

despite the OL being young, the swarming to the ball was incredible and that's not really the O-Lines fault, that's just us playing damn good defense. I can't explain it.

Our linebackers played a very good football game, relative to what I have been seeing. Mayo and McCoy especially. Their speed was actually put to good use and they tackled people.

I also helped immensely that Georgia's passing game is on par with Arkansas' crew. Stafford struggles because nobody's open and those that are cannot catch it and his line is akin to a screen door.

I just think it was the first time this year there was energy on the sidelines.

All the coaches were animated and the players responded.

At UF the coaches looked like they were out for a stroll in the mall.

It looked like UGA just did not have the speed (at least nothing near Cal/UF speed) to exploit matchups most of the time when UTK defense was swarming to the ball. That was the best I have seen the Vols defense look since '05.

It looked like UGA just did not have the speed (at least nothing near Cal/UF speed) to exploit matchups most of the time when UTK defense was swarming to the ball. That was the best I have seen the Vols defense look since '05.

I will 2nd that. UGA doesnt have the speed that Cal. or Fl. has and a young O line helped us out also. When everything is all said and done that was just pure good old Tn. Football. :thumbsup:

not sure if the game plan for GA was that much different than we've had for our other games but execution for this game was superb. LB play was best I've seen in a long time. OL opening running lanes and the TB hitting them. 190 yards on 44 carries. That is Tennessee football.

not sure if the game plan for GA was that much different than we've had for our other games but execution for this game was superb. LB play was best I've seen in a long time. OL opening running lanes and the TB hitting them. 190 yards on 44 carries. That is Tennessee football.

All these have been done without a Full Back...
Gosh......

1. Is John Chavis a genious?
2. Is Georgia's offense that bad?
3. Did the defense mature that much in 2 weeks?
4. Can our defense continue playing this well?
5. Did the coaches find something in the defense to make it work better?

1. No. Football coaches aren't genius. Geniuses are guys like Norman Einstein.
2. No, but they aren't anything really special, either, IMO. Even at that, the D did an excellent job against a solid team.
3. Yes. Putting Vinson and Berry back there helps, but they are very young. 4 games and an off week is a lifetime for Freshmen.
4. They better. We aren't going to win a lot of games if they revert to the Cal-Florida style, although we won't face another offense that good, Kentucky included.
5. The Tennesseean quoted Chavis as saying this was the simplest gameplan he has had in a long time. They played fundamentally sound football, made tackles, and swarmed to the ball.

VN Store

Back