Defense staff finished - Mike Ekeler Def/ST

It is common knowledge that Kevin Steele in under contract with UT. So yes, he is on staff until the University fires him without case. This is discussed in the "So what now to do with Steele" thread.
He is not on Heupel's staff, Period. He may be employed by the athletic department at this point but show me where he is on Huepel's staff. There's a difference obviously.

He is not on Heupel's staff, Period. He may be employed by the athletic department at this point but show me where he is on Huepel's staff. There's a difference obviously.
VFL-JP-82 has already shown that in the other thread. I copied his post and it is on page two of this thread. His contract states his is an "assistant coach." The NCAA doesn't care who hired him. I am sure Heupel has no plans for him; however, that is not the point.

Reactions: VolsSince78
I think much of the disagreement here is because we don't know the details of his contract or what potential modifications are allowed. If as someone suggested he hasn't been on campus in a month then UT will probably have to give him a buyout.

Hopefully that's just the punctuation on a long era of awful contract and hiring decisions in UT's AD.
Larry threw this at me on VQ suggesting that the language states we have to retain him as an on-field coach or pay him to leave. My non-expert eyes didn’t read the same thing but DID notice that him “not reporting” to the AD “promptly” is grounds for firing with cause. I’ll defer to people who know contracts.
http://tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Kevin-Steele-Fully-Signed-Employment-Agreement.pdf

Reactions: sjt18
I could not quote from the other thread so I give credit to VFL-JP-82 for this. The following is his post that has the actual contract language in it. The kicker is "assistant coach".

I'd hoped that clause in Steele's contract that says his job includes, "...performing other reasonable football-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Head Football Coach..." would free us up enough to use him in any capacity, on-field or off.

But the contract does also say, "The University agrees to employ [Coach Steele] and Coach agrees to be employed by the University as an assistant coach...." [emphasis added]

And that's the kicker. That means he HAS to be counted among the NCAA-mandated maximum 11 coaches in the football program. Because the NCAA rule reads, "There shall be a limit of 11 coaches of any type that may be employed by the institution in the sport of Division I-AA football." [again, emphasis added].

So my original idea wouldn't work. Ah well, I thought the Chief Defensive Analyst idea was a good one, anyway.

Maybe the University and he can renegotiate the contract to allow him to remain in some capacity. Otherwise, he walks and we pay him to.
It says “football assistant”. Mitch Millitelo is a FOOTBALL ASSISTANT...just not on-field. This is a non-issue.

Reactions: Nouveaux
Steele's contract with Auburn probably requires a good faith effort to have a job if he wants to continue getting his buyout, so he may have some incentive to be flexible.

Congrats on Coach Red Bull. He once concussed Rico McGraw. on the sidelines with a slap on the helmet.

He hated Pruitt.

Although we don’t know yet, this hire plus the LB hire look great. Outside the saban and SEC retread hires, both appear to be young, energetic hires that bring positives to the program. Both appear to be good recruiters snd better developers of talent. With the NCAA staring us in the face, these really look like strong hires. Good work, Coach Hype.

Although we don’t know yet, this hire plus the LB hire look great. Outside the saban and SEC retread hires, both appear to be young, energetic hires that bring positives to the program. Both appear to be good recruiters snd better developers of talent. With the NCAA staring us in the face, these really look like strong hires. Good work, Coach Hype.

I feel the same way. Maybe bringing in some fresh faces into the SEC is exactly what UT needs.

I hope they work together well.

Reactions: N.ohio vol

Nice guy, little crazy, but nice guy. Drinks Red Bull all day, his mini fridge is all Red Bull.

If you want the actual guy who went after Pruitt, you will need to go get Thomas Brown, now AHC to the Rams. Brown of course played for Richt and didn’t let Pruitt disrespect ‘his coach’. I’m sure Ekeler wanted to, on many occasions as he wasn’t in Pruitts clique.

VN Store

Back