Defense staff finished - Mike Ekeler Def/ST

Just Banks and Garner were an upgrade for me. With an offense minded HC they might actually get to do some good on D.

Reactions: PA Vol
I might be drinking the kool-aid, but I actually like this staff better than any staff in the last 15 years on both sides of the ball. Better than Pruitt's and Butch's by far. Maybe Kiffin's staff was as good or better?

My hope is this staff stays together for a few years, but I think they really put together a good staff both recruiting wise and for player development.

Considering the claims of several posters earlier that no one wanted to coach or play at UT... Heupel made some pretty good hires. This guy could work for anyone in the country.

Funny how he avoided answering the question about working for Pruitt. That is how you answer a question about someone you have no respect or like for. If you like them but don't respect them you say, "He's a great guy it just didn't work out". If you respect them but don't like them you say, "He's a good DC but we just never came together."

We will see how it goes but this is another guy with potential recruiting value. Yeah, I know and agree with what he said....

He played for Bill Snyder at KSU who was an expert at building good teams depending heavily on JUCO players. He used all those Kansas JUCO's as a developmental league. Nebraska also used JUCO's and had to recruit nationally.

His other stops are much more obvious when it comes to recruiting. He's coached from Texas to eastern NC.

I might be drinking the kool-aid, but I actually like this staff better than any staff in the last 15 years on both sides of the ball. Better than Pruitt's and Butch's by far. Maybe Kiffin's staff was as good or better?

My hope is this staff stays together for a few years, but I think they really put together a good staff both recruiting wise and for player development.
I was never a fan of Lane... but any college staff with Monte as its DC... has to be way up there.

Considering the claims of several posters earlier that no one wanted to coach or play at UT... Heupel made some pretty good hires. This guy could work for anyone in the country.

Funny how he avoided answering the question about working for Pruitt. That is how you answer a question about someone you have no respect or like for. If you like them but don't respect them you say, "He's a great guy it just didn't work out". If you respect them but don't like them you say, "He's a good DC but we just never came together."

In another interview, he said he worked with sh-tty people at UGA.....

That's another way of answering the question about someone you dont have respect for.

Overall, I have to say I’m pretty pleased with this staff. Martinez is the only one where I’m thinking we might should have gone a different route.
I think he's good if he has finally learned where he fits. He's a position coach. Not a DC.

His recruiting experience is a definite plus and especially from the standpoint of strategies. He can help them anticipate how other programs will recruit a player.

In another interview, he said he worked with sh-tty people at UGA.....

That's another way of answering the question about someone you dont have respect for.
Yeah. I read that one after I posted. Seems he didn't see the need to play nice after he moved away from Athens.

I didn't know all of that was happening at UGA when Pruitt was there. Team Pruitt and Team Richt? Wow.

I was tempted to wonder how Pruitt got the UT job since this would have been widely known in SEC coaching circles... but Fulmer probably viewed it as a positive. I don't think he liked or respected Richt or Richt's way of coaching.

VN Store

Back