Defense comparison (split)

Pearl is gone! Get over it and take your homerism elsewhere. You have 7 games to base your opinion on as far as Martin's defense, most of which against quality opponents. As for recruiting getting Stokes would silence any doubters. Not to mention Martin didn't exactly have a head start on the class we have now. Just kick back, relax, and enjoy watching the new staff work!

His homer-ism Has as much right here as you do. Would be better if your type left.

Keywords : so far.
How can you even begin to make such a comparison at this stage of the season?
Try it again in March.

Because Martins philosophy is the same at Tennessee in year one as it was the last there seasons at MSU. It hasn't changed, only the pieces. What just about every one of you fail to understand is that I am not basing this opinion solely on the seven games Tennessee has played this year. He has been a head coach going on four seasons now, and his defensive philosophy is unchanged. Why is that so hard to understand?

You have no ideal. If you give Martin the same team Pearl had last year he would win alot more games with them. If Pearl's defensive philosophy and coaching ability was light years better how did Pearl's team lose all those games last year to teams we should have beat. And got blew out by Michigan. Martin is a better coach.

While your assertion is both completely hypothetical and unable to be proven, you think, just maybe, the distractions had a little to do with the disjointed nature of last years' team?

Last edited:
I'm gonna take this opportunity to ask a very important question: as a Tennessee basketball fan, how can you not be bitter towards Pearl after what he and his staff did to your favorite, beloved basketball program? I'll read your replies and will not respond. The floor is yours.

I am bitter towards Pearl and what he did, but I am not going to hold a continual grudge against him. If you look at some of my older posts, you will see I am not as much of a Pearl homer as I am being labeled by many in this thread who have no clue about my feelings toward him. I feel he did a lot of good here and some bad that tarnished the good. I have criticized him in the past in recruiting, end-of-game coaching, and his obvious failures with the NCAA. However, I am not willing to dismiss what he did well because of what he did poorly. He did things that are open for criticism and that's fine. We know what those things are. Why do we have to forget the good things he did and refuse to give him credit for those things because of what he did wrong? Do you not admit that he took this program to new heights in areas? Do you dismiss those things because he told a lie that seems to have damaged his career much more than Tennessee's program? He may never coach again, but Tennessee basketball will go on. I don't care so much that he screwed up anymore. I'm over it. He was good for Tennessee basketball while he was here and I don't think that's really debatable. He's gone now and that's fine, but its not ok to pretend he never existed, so comparisons to his style vs Martin, or the next coach, or the next coach are inevitable. Why is that a bad thing, and for those that make the comparison, why are they labeled Pearlophiles?

OP you can compare anything you want between Pearl and Martin, but face it Pearl's gone. I for one am gonna back the basketball program as long as they're wearing orange and white regardless of whose coaching them. Not saying you're not still supporting them, but the past is the past, and it's gonna stay that way.

Why is that a bad thing, and for those that make the comparison, why are they labeled Pearlophiles?

Quit pretending you're a victim. Not one person called you a Pearlophile. You're just attempting to be dramatic.

Quit pretending you're a victim. Not one person called you a Pearlophile. You're just attempting to be dramatic.

I'm not pretending to be a victim. No one has used the term "Pearlophile" per se, but I have been told on numerous occassions in this thread to, "get over it, Pearl is gone...," or things of that ilk, certainly implying that I am more of a fan of Pearl than I am of UT, which is simply untrue.

You sir, can take your sarcastic, smart ass self righteousness and go back to your dorm room and stuck your nose in your Torts textbook. If you spent as much time studying law as you do b!tching to others whose opinion you don't share, you would graduate top of your class.

I have tried being civil with you, but you apparently don't want to play that game. You seem to get off on attempting to ridicule as many people as you can. As I stated earlier, you would be embarrassed if you could see the way you talk to other people from an outside perspective. This will be my last response to anything you have to say on the subject.

OP you can compare anything you want between Pearl and Martin, but face it Pearl's gone. I for one am gonna back the basketball program as long as they're wearing orange and white regardless of whose coaching them. Not saying you're not still supporting them, but the past is the past, and it's gonna stay that way.

I agree with you. I want for Martin to be successful because he is UT's coach. I cheer just as hard for his teams as I did for Pearl's, Peterson's, Green's, O'Neill's, Houston's, and Devoe's teams.

I'm not pretending to be a victim. No one has used the term "Pearlophile" per se, but I have been told on numerous occassions in this thread to, "get over it, Pearl is gone...," or things of that ilk, certainly implying that I am more of a fan of Pearl than I am of UT, which is simply untrue.

You sir, can take your sarcastic, smart ass self righteousness and go back to your dorm room and stuck your nose in your Torts textbook. If you spent as much time studying law as you do b!tching to others whose opinion you don't share, you would graduate top of your class.

I have tried being civil with you, but you apparently don't want to play that game. You seem to get off on attempting to ridicule as many people as you can. As I stated earlier, you would be embarrassed if you could see the way you talk to other people from an outside perspective. This will be my last response to anything you have to say on the subject.

I'm not being uncivil. You're pretending you're a victim. You're not. Instead of arguing anything substantive, you're pretending someone's being mean to you by vaguely implying that you like Pearl. Instead of just crying about how bad you're being treated, try actually making a point.

As for disagreeing with you, you haven't yet put out an opinion to disagree with. You're just crying.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to wade in here and give my two cents worth!
What a lot of you don't realize about Tenn basketball it is a program that does matter nationally. It always has and if you look at the players that made it to the NBA we have a storied history but, no Championships. Example: Alanl Houston and Dale Ellis. Counzo is bringing us up to speed with the rest of the Bball world. We are developing a worldwide brand just like Bball has become a worldwide brand. From what I have seen of his recruits, he knows the game and who the players really are out there! We have holdovers from Pearl's era with his own recruits. From what I've seen I like him. It's just a matter whether he can get us over the hump.

Who is gonna laud today's defensive performance? Or will we just hear, "its only been 8 games", and make excuses for the slop defense we played again?

VN Store

Back