Def. Cord D.ansley will be top target for bama def. Cord. Position

So, Saban wants to hire him although this was his first ever season as a DC? At start of season, it looked as if Pruitt may have made a disastrous hire. The defense was completely lost. Players out of position and looking like they had no clue. Ansley, at that time, appeared to be the same way.

But, as the season went on things changed. The defense improved remarkably. Warrior was totally transformed. Everyone appeared to know their role and play it well. Have to credit Ansley with this for sure.

Pruitt hiring Ansley to such a huge rank without ever having been there was risky. But, it certainly appears that Pruitt knew what he was doing. Just more proof that we as fans don't know anything. Lol.

Tennessee needs continuity and some longevity. Which is nearly impossible in today's age of coaches jumping ship after a season or 2 all over the country. When Vols were at their best, they had these things. Coaches stayed together (for the most part).

I'm hoping Ansley is more old school in this thinking. Give him a raise, he's certainly earned it. He has a chance to stay at UT and build what he started from the ground up.

Solid post. I will say that building something from the ground up is not a plus for a coach, only a necessity, in many situations. I think his working relationship with Pruitt could be the deciding factor. Both schools have šŸ’°. If he is happy to be at work every day, that might trump taking over a roster of 5 star players.

How about the 3 guys before him who all took better jobs? Or the countless other OC's under Saban that have gone on the HC positions. A coordinator position under Saban is probably the fastest way to get a HC job right now.
This is a valid point.

I mean Russell Wilson considers himself to be a Badger and part of the Wolf Pack so.... clearly it's possible for someone to have allegiances to multiple schools.
But he did more than TAKE CLASSES at both. Iā€™d buy Nathan Peterman claiming Vols and Pitt...tho he achieved at Pitt so I doubt he bothers. Professionally, when talking football, I doubt that he cites courses he took to finish his masters while employed by Alabama...SIX YEARS after his playing career over Troy as his alma mater. Sure, heā€™s proud of his work towards that goal, but thatā€™s not enough to pull the alma mater card.

How about the 3 guys before him who all took better jobs? Or the countless other OC's under Saban that have gone on the HC positions. A coordinator position under Saban is probably the fastest way to get a HC job right now.
Lupoi bolted before a demotion and I can count to 3 (tho Major Applewhite is a stretch being Lupoiā€™d after Sabanā€™s first season at Bama). Took Kirby a decade and how long had Pruitt been associated with Bama? Went off to Florida State and won a NC at DC and took over UGAā€™s defense to bump up his resume. Of the OCā€™s, it took Jimbo Fisher 9 seasons (not all under Nicky) to get his own gig. It did only require 4 for Jim McElwain...so good point...Jim McElwain.

Reactions: memtownvol
Even if he called a shutout in 8 straight games, some would not be happy with it lol. I just hope he stays for the sake of STABILITY
I feel the same about Tee. I'm really happy he's staying for that reason more than anything. I really like this staff. Pruitt is gaining more of my respect in ways I hadn't expected so soon. Hope it continues.

Lupoi bolted before a demotion and I can count to 3 (tho Major Applewhite is a stretch being Lupoiā€™d after Sabanā€™s first season at Bama). Took Kirby a decade and how long had Pruitt been associated with Bama? Went off to Florida State and won a NC at DC and took over UGAā€™s defense to bump up his resume. Of the OCā€™s, it took Jimbo Fisher 9 seasons (not all under Nicky) to get his own gig. It did only require 4 for Jim McElwain...so good point...Jim McElwain.

Lupoi also took a better job after he led a top 20 defense. Saban wanted Golding instead, but that doesn't take away from the main point. Kirby had several HC opportunities in the years before taking the UGA job (even at Auburn IIRC), but he waited until the one he wanted came along. Fisher was named HC in waiting at FSU like 4 years before he took over, so clearly he wasn't leaving that bell cow. While Kiffin had already been a coach, he was pretty much on everyone's shitlist after USC and turned his Bama tenure into a cushy job HC gig at FIU. Muschamp became DC in 2002 under Saban (before Saban's legendary status) and was named the HC in waiting at Texas in 2008.

Also, how many HC offers did Pruitt receive before becoming the DC at Bama? I don't remember reading about any.

But he did more than TAKE CLASSES at both. Iā€™d buy Nathan Peterman claiming Vols and Pitt...tho he achieved at Pitt so I doubt he bothers. Professionally, when talking football, I doubt that he cites courses he took to finish his masters while employed by Alabama...SIX YEARS after his playing career over Troy as his alma mater. Sure, heā€™s proud of his work towards that goal, but thatā€™s not enough to pull the alma mater card.
You talking about Bama trolls though. If you stopped and pissed passing through Bama then you have to be Bama fan and can claim alumni status

Reactions: butchna
Lupoi also took a better job after he led a top 20 defense. Saban wanted Golding instead, but that doesn't take away from the main point. Kirby had several HC opportunities in the years before taking the UGA job (even at Auburn IIRC), but he waited until the one he wanted came along. Fisher was named HC in waiting at FSU like 4 years before he took over, so clearly he wasn't leaving that bell cow. While Kiffin had already been a coach, he was pretty much on everyone's shitlist after USC and turned his Bama tenure into a cushy job HC gig at FIU. Muschamp became DC in 2002 under Saban (before Saban's legendary status) and was named the HC in waiting at Texas in 2008.

Also, how many HC offers did Pruitt receive before becoming the DC at Bama? I don't remember reading about any.
DL coach in CLEVELAND is not a ā€œbetter jobā€...it was an escape route from a bad decision. And Kiffin took the job that was hiring(FAU not FIU)...out of Bama and away from Saban. Started a trend. Muschamp bolted to Auburn BEFORE Texas and their coach in waiting fail had nothing to do with Saban. By rumor Pruitt, turned down Vandy and/or Mississippi State opportunities before an epic coaching search abortion in Knoxville netted him his first gig. Youā€™re saying itā€™s Saban and not his reported homerun interview and his WHOLE resume that Pruitt should thank? Disagree with you. Saban is the best...never been a doubt. His coaching tree hasnā€™t made very impressive thrones as a whole tho...and the choices are getting lesser and lesser in quality. Enos and Gattis on any ADā€™s top 5 HC wish list? When does Sarkisian bolt for ANOTHER shot at USC? Golding going to replace Malzahn in a couple? Not COUNTING a lot much less COUNTLESS.

You talking about Bama trolls though. If you stopped and pissed passing through Bama then you have to be Bama fan and can claim alumni status
True. Gotta remember whoā€™s in a conversation sometimes.

Reactions: tnvols72
Feel free to jump on 9214A390-BAB0-4B3C-88B5-489AB930C29E.png

It feels good for us to have to fend off other schools for our coaches again.

DL coach in CLEVELAND is not a ā€œbetter jobā€...it was an escape route from a bad decision. And Kiffin took the job that was hiring(FAU not FIU)...out of Bama and away from Saban. Started a trend. Muschamp bolted to Auburn BEFORE Texas and their coach in waiting fail had nothing to do with Saban. By rumor Pruitt, turned down Vandy and/or Mississippi State opportunities before an epic coaching search abortion in Knoxville netted him his first gig. Youā€™re saying itā€™s Saban and not his reported homerun interview and his WHOLE resume that Pruitt should thank? Disagree with you. Saban is the best...never been a doubt. His coaching tree hasnā€™t made very impressive thrones as a whole tho...and the choices are getting lesser and lesser in quality. Enos and Gattis on any ADā€™s top 5 HC wish list? When does Sarkisian bolt for ANOTHER shot at USC? Golding going to replace Malzahn in a couple? Not COUNTING a lot much less COUNTLESS.

I don't see how an NFL The entire point is what being a DC under Saban can do for you. This isn't something I've made up either. The are literally dozens of articles that talk about this. I don't view a NFL coaching position as a worse job (particularly if his goal is to be a HC in the NFL at some point) but whatever.

Muschamp was Saban's DC for 4 years before going to Auburn. It's relevant because he's yet another example of a Saban DC that has gone on to better positions.

I haven't heard anything about Vandy but Miss St. was the same year as Tennessee hire, so that's pretty irrelevant since we're talking about his time before coming to Bama.

And no, I'm not saying Saban himself is the reason these guys got hired. But there is a pretty clear correlation in being a coordinator under Saban and getting a HC opportunity. Much of it has to do with the program's success. When you're a coordinator for a championship team, other schools take notice and are more willing to take chance on you. How often does a coordinator of a middle of the pack power 5 team get a HC offer from another power 5 school (that isn't the coaches alma mater)? Urban Meyer teams have seen a similar affect with their coordinators (i.e. Mullen, Strong, Herman).

I canā€™t believe Bama hasnā€™t called one of us Volnation members. šŸ˜”šŸ¤¬šŸ¤Æ
The disrespect is concerning. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜œ

Nick Sabanā€™s Coaching Tree
  • Kirby Smart (Alabama): Georgia HC
  • Jimbo Fisher (LSU): Texas A&M HC, Florida State HC (2010-17)
  • Jeremy Pruitt (Alabama): Tennessee HC
  • Will Muschamp (LSU): South Carolina HC, Florida HC (2011-14)
  • Mark Dantonio (Michigan State): Michigan State HC
  • Derek Dooley (LSU): Missouri OC, Tennessee HC (2010-12), Louisiana Tech HC (2007-09)
  • Jim McElwain (Alabama): Central Michigan HC, Florida HC (2015-17) Colorado State HC (2012-14)
  • Lane Kiffin (Alabama): Ole Miss HC, Florida Atlantic HC (2017-19)
  • Bobby Williams (Michigan State): Oregon ST, Michigan State HC (1999-2002)
  • Jason Garrett (Dolphins): Dallas Cowboys HC
  • Dan Quinn (Dolphins): Atlanta Falcons HC
  • Mike Mularkey (Dolphins): Tennessee Titans HC (2016-17)
  • Adam Gase (LSU): New York Jets HC
  • Pat Shurmur (Michigan State): New York Giants HC
  • Major Applewhite (Alabama): Houston HC (2016-18)
  • Mario Cristobal (Alabama): Oregon HC
  • Mike Locksley (Alabama): Maryland HC
  • Billy Napier (Alabama): Louisiana HC
  • Geoff Collins (Alabama): Georgia Tech HC
  • Curt Cignetti (Alabama): James Madison HC
  • Michael Haywood (LSU): Texas Southern HC (2016-18)
That's a whole lotta good HCs for Saban's tree not to be "impressive."

Reactions: Carp
If true, were I Fulmer and the AD, I would try to do everything in my power to get him to stay. If not for his talent and coaching ability alone, then for stability within our coaching department. Keep this core group of guys together if at all possible, unless there are legitimate reasons for letting someone go.

Regarding coaching, continuity goes a long way in college football

If he goes he goes. I think people are giving him much more credit than deserves. Pruitt is the defensive mastermind on staff. Ansley can be replaced. I think he is a good coach but those Bama defenses were Kirby and Jeremy not Ansley. If he chooses to leave just go throw some money at Tosh and be done with it.

I don't see how an NFL The entire point is what being a DC under Saban can do for you. This isn't something I've made up either. The are literally dozens of articles that talk about this. I don't view a NFL coaching position as a worse job (particularly if his goal is to be a HC in the NFL at some point) but whatever.

Muschamp was Saban's DC for 4 years before going to Auburn. It's relevant because he's yet another example of a Saban DC that has gone on to better positions.

I haven't heard anything about Vandy but Miss St. was the same year as Tennessee hire, so that's pretty irrelevant since we're talking about his time before coming to Bama.

And no, I'm not saying Saban himself is the reason these guys got hired. But there is a pretty clear correlation in being a coordinator under Saban and getting a HC opportunity. Much of it has to do with the program's success. When you're a coordinator for a championship team, other schools take notice and are more willing to take chance on you. How often does a coordinator of a middle of the pack power 5 team get a HC offer from another power 5 school (that isn't the coaches alma mater)? Urban Meyer teams have seen a similar affect with their coordinators (i.e. Mullen, Strong, Herman).
You made it sound like Muschamp took a DC position straight to coach in waiting at Texas...merely debunked that. Does working under Saban get you notice and put you in line for better jobs...yeah? Itā€™s not what you built it up to be tho. You need a fleshed out resume to land a P5 job and thereā€™s no ā€œcountlessā€ examples of fasttracking under Saban. Nothing Ansley does at Bama would get him there faster than under Pruitt. HE as in Ansley has progressed to this level under the several different coaches heā€™s worked under. Jewels shine when theyā€™re clean.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Pointing out a DC job under Saban is likely a better stepping stone than a DC job at Tennessee makes me a bandwagon Bama fan. LOL. Sure thing boomer.
All your other posts confirm that. This is a football discussion.

VN Store

Back