Deer preseason 2016

chatsworth_vol

I know there was a small thread last year after deer season kicked off in Tennessee last year. I figured why not start it off early this year. I know some of y'all run trail cameras. This will be my 1st full season running them. So, lets see some of your photos, your growing bucks in velvet, your fawns, and your odd ball critters that show up. Anyone else hop in with a story of photos of trophy's past.

Reactions: RollerVol and Freak
Here's the shed we found of a massive 8 about 50 yards from my stand. Hoping this is the year.

Attachments

• 20160704_211528.jpg
    20160704_211528.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: RollerVol
Here we go!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-17-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-17-03.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-38-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-01-15-38-16.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2016-05-28-15-25-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-05-28-15-25-28.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 8
Haven't checked it in a few weeks. Hoping to get to it this week sometime. Good luck to everyone! Post em when you get em!!

Nice ones, that is a very nice set of sheds.

Good size bear too, how do you like those primos cams?

I'll be out checking mine and updating next week. Its been fun going out and seeing whats on them. Kinda makes the off season go by faster. Heck my 7 y/o son enjoys it so much he's saved up his money from doing chores and has had us order him his own camera. Dicks Sporting goods was running a 1 day sale on a primos camera for $29. He's almost as excited for it to come in and set it up as he is at Christmas.

I was going back looking at my shots for the year. I think these 2 are the same pair. If they are it's neat seeing them in March with their old antlers, and then seeing them as they grow them this year. What do y'all think, the same pair?
pair1.jpg

pair2.jpg

pair3.jpg

7416s2.jpg

Have been here recently. Few miles down the road, guy has 5 different ones on camera. Might actually try and get a bear this year.

I chased one down a logging road a few years ago. It was as big as my quad ( sportsman 500)

It turned and ran up a hill. I jumped off the atv and grabbed my muzzleloader. It stopped and looked back at me. It's head was as big as a dinner plate.

I let it walk. It was a beautiful critter. First and only time I've ever seen one.

I chased one down a logging road a few years ago. It was as big as my quad ( sportsman 500)

It turned and ran up a hill. I jumped off the atv and grabbed my muzzleloader. It stopped and looked back at me. It's head was as big as a dinner plate.

I let it walk. It was a beautiful critter. First and only time I've ever seen one.

Black Bear off the grill is a lot better than what I thought.

Black Bear off the grill is a lot better than what I thought.

I hope to find out this year. An outdoors forum I'm on has a lot of guys that hunt bear up here in NGA and they all swear the stuff is great as long and it's cared for right. I've been kinda halfway trying to get one for a few years, but I think this year I'm gonna seriously go after one.

Really?

I've been told it's stringy??

I've never had any.

A lot has to depend on how it is cared for in the field, and cooked. The reports, I've gotten was that bear makes excellent BBQ, sausage, and ground. Bear tenderloins are also supposed to be good. Most of the problems I'm told come from the fat on a bear. A bear has 2 types of a fat, a white fat similar to the fat you see on pork and beef, that can add some flavor and is excellent rendered down into grease or lard. It also has a yellow tallow tallow fat. The yellow fat is the greasy nasty fat and it goes rancid very quickly. The carcass must be cooled very quickly and all the yellow fat completely removed otherwise it will ruin the entire thing. This is all 2nd hand info though, but from multiple sources. I hope to find out for myself soon this fall.

A lot has to depend on how it is cared for in the field, and cooked. The reports, I've gotten was that bear makes excellent BBQ, sausage, and ground. Bear tenderloins are also supposed to be good. Most of the problems I'm told come from the fat on a bear. A bear has 2 types of a fat, a white fat similar to the fat you see on pork and beef, that can add some flavor and is excellent rendered down into grease or lard. It also has a yellow tallow tallow fat. The yellow fat is the greasy nasty fat and it goes rancid very quickly. The carcass must be cooled very quickly and all the yellow fat completely removed otherwise it will ruin the entire thing. This is all 2nd hand info though, but from multiple sources. I hope to find out for myself soon this fall.

I didn't know this. Thank you.

Really?

I've been told it's stringy??

I've never had any.

It's what I was led to believe, too.
The guy grilling it was also the guy who killed it (Alaska) and was very experienced with harvesting and preparing the meat.

I must say it was shockingly good!

Bear tastes good. But it smells like hell when you clean it and when you're cooking. Can be grissely and fatty though.

I like it in stew. Cook's long enough to break it down.

VN Store

Back