Dee Beckwith status?

Who cares? Can't even earn playing time against Tech in mop up duty. If he wants to go play for Chattanooga or something, go ahead. Otherwise, shutup and get better
Did Travis Henry feel sorry for himself and transfer in 1997... or stick it out and seize an opportunity when Lewis went down in '98? Players these days expect instant gratification.

The real Q is. How does TN recruit top 15-20 annually yet never have any talent at all? Interesting how Arkansas and Ole Miss, who have not recruited to the same level as TN seem to be more talented. Interesting how that always happens with TN.

Lets look at the roster.

2017 class, these guys would all be eligible as covid seniors or rs juniors. Class ranking was 17th nationally, 7 of 27 remain with Theo Jackson being the only notable contributor.

2018 class 22 signees, 8 are gone, including 4 of the 8 highest rated recruits.

2019 class 22 signees, plus 4 transfers. 13 of the 22 signees are gone and 3 of the 4 transfers. 5 of the top 6 recruits based on hs ranking are gone.

2020 class 23 signees and 4 transfers. 3 of the 23 are gone and 2 of the 4 transfers.

2021 we had 17 signees and 10 transfers because of the massive losses from the roster. We already lost the most important player in the class due to idiocy in Salter.

So the "talent" here in large part isn't here. You remove the people from those classes that are gone and they tumble into the mid 40s to mid 50s or lower in the 17, 18, and 19 classes. The 2017 and 2019 class with it's losses probably goes into the 60s or 70s.

If you want to play and you're not then don't cry and whine about it.

Hit the weight room, hit the film room, hit the practice field with the right attitude and motivation and EARN the right to play in the games.

Work hard and put in more time until you become so good and motivated that the coaches are forced to play you.

VFL...GBO!!!

Or maybe they're in a slightly better position with just a tad more expertise than YOU to determine that? I would say that Heupel's history as an offensive coach speaks for itself.

I'm pretty sure you and a few others are trying to rationalize some premature judgments RE Heupel.

By all reports, Milton was hitting a lot of those deep throws in practice that he's missed in games. Hooker played a decent game. Bailey didn't throw deep well at all tonight and that may be why he wasn't #1 or #2..

Tennessee dealt with the practice king last season.

Reactions: 08Vol
Lets look at the roster.

2017 class, these guys would all be eligible as covid seniors or rs juniors. Class ranking was 17th nationally, 7 of 27 remain with Theo Jackson being the only notable contributor.

2019 class 22 signees, plus 4 transfers. 13 of the 22 signees are gone and 3 of the 4 transfers. 5 of the top 6 recruits based on hs ranking are gone.

2020 class 23 signees and 4 transfers. 3 of the 23 are gone and 2 of the 4 transfers.

2021 we had 17 signees and 10 transfers because of the massive losses from the roster. We already lost the most important player in the class due to idiocy in Salter.

So the "talent" here in large part isn't here. You remove the people from those classes that are gone and they tumble into the mid 40s to mid 50s or lower in the 17, 18, and 19 classes. The 2017 and 2019 class with it's losses probably goes into the 60s or 70s.
Everyone wonders how Kentucky can have a better program than us now. Stoops is in his 9th year and they have built their team on the LOS. They can develop guys under the same staff for 2-3 years before playing.

Another great athlete that couldn’t learn a position. I heard they wanted him to change positions and he didn’t want to.

Our TE is a bright spot. Please don’t act like DB is the next Pitts riding the bench. Let’s figure out who wants to be here, and build around them.

Everyone wonders how Kentucky can have a better program than us now. Stoops is in his 9th year and they have built their team on the LOS. They can develop guys under the same staff for 2-3 years before playing.

So wait. Are you saying sometimes a head coach needs time to become successful? Because according to VN, that does t add up.

Even if he can’t pass protect right now, one would think you could find a place in a heavy package where QB is under center and it’s third and goal from the one yard line. Or we need one yard for a first down.
I forgot though, we don’t have that kind of package. We are in shotgun no matter what the situation is. Maybe there just hasn’t been enough practice time to fit that in so far.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
And you think that he earned it and the coaches somehow don't want to give him PT?
Those on here ragging on this staff after 3 games of better productivity and results with less scholarship talent than the 2019 team after 3 games….these are the ones that think Heupel has personal beef with Bailey since he didn’t recruit him. They are so blindsided with ignorance they can’t even put together the concept that this staff sees who is giving their all out performing more higher rated athletes.
He ain’t a starter but it reminds me of Jalen Hurd in his final season here. He became a cancer with his attitude. He wanted to play a different position vs playing the position he was most needed at. He was recruited as a RB while all other programs saw him as a safety. Kamara goes down and it was so obvious he was putting forth zero effort against South Carolina. It infected that whole offense that game.
If he wants to go vs practicing harder to earn reps or change positions to see the field…best of luck guy. He deserves nothing…he hasn’t earned the right yet to complain.

Last edited:
So according to our fan base,Dee and Harrison Bailey need to transfer to a top tier school to gain playing time for their Heisman hopes.While 2 coaching staffs haven’t granted that playing time here.

Bailey came in against second string FCS defensive players and looked pretty underwhelming at best

I wonder how many gater or Bamer players have not seen game time this year. Probably a lot. I think just about every non starter thinks they should be higher up on the depth chart and seeing more game time. Most of them don't post about it, some work harder and some don't. If yiu think you are better than what you you have shown the coaches, maybe you should try harder or move on or talk to the coaches about what you need to do. Posting on social media is the last thing you should do IMO.

So wait. Are you saying sometimes a head coach needs time to become successful? Because according to VN, that does t add up.
See my thread that you have to hire the RIGHT coach. Giving these last 3 guys 10 years wouldn’t have changed much.

Stoops is in the right spot. He actually only had a 49-50 record after 8 years. That’s fine for up there, and now he has a run first system to recruit linemen for. And he’s developing a lot of solid defenders for the NFL. They don’t need freshmen to play, and that negates whatever recruiting advantage we have.

Reactions: 08Vol
Have to question why some of our highest rated players are not even cracking the 2 deep. Its one thing for 4 and 5 star guys not to live up to their hype or make All-SEC. But as a 4-5 star blue chip recruit, if you can’t even just provide depth as a backup then something is seriously wrong. Culture wise.

We have multiple guys who were blue chip recruits who are hardly seeing the field at all, much less even listed on the depth chart a few of them.

Aubrey Solomon
Omari Thomas
Jackson Lampley
Len’neth Whitehead
Brandon Turnage
Ramel Keyton
Harrison Bailey
Dominic Bailey

What is the deal? You can’t tell me every single one of those guys are busts. I don’t believe it.

Last edited:
I think that UT has a recent history of bringing in players especially skill players, focusing on rank or stats.... also alot of the players are used to be coddled in high school, when they doesn't happen they can't handle it.....stars and high school stats dont mean crap in college.... hopefully CJH understands that and brings in more players who want to prove themselves and have better character

Have to question why some of our highest rated players are not even cracking the 2 deep. Its one thing for 4 and 5 star players not to live up to their hype or play like stars. But as a 4 or 5 star blue chip recruit, if you can’t even just provide depth as a backup then something is seriously wrong. Culture wise.

We have multiple guys who were blue chip recruits who are hardly seeing the field at all, much less even listed on the depth chart a few of them.

Aubrey Solomon
Omari Thomas
Jackson Lampley
Len’neth Whitehead
Brandon Turnage
Ramel Keyton
Harrison Bailey
Dominic Bailey

What is the deal?

Because most of the 4-5 * players we recruit aren’t really desired by the top schools in the SEC or have baggage. It’s extremely rare now for UT to win a recruiting battle head to head against UGA, Bama, or UF for a player they really wanted that doesn’t have ties to UT. On top of that, coaching staff’s don’t stay long enough to develop what we have or they transfer

Lets look at the roster.

Excellent post.

Reactions: KptVFL
Tennessee dealt with the practice king last season.

I can’t believe this has to be said but….practice is all you have to go on till you play a few games. If Milton is still sucking it up and still being pushed as the starter next year then you might have a point. Till then it’s just mindless bitching

Because most of the 4-5 * players we recruit aren’t really desired by the top schools in the SEC or have baggage. It’s extremely rare now for UT to win a recruiting battle head to head against UGA, Bama, or UF for a player they really wanted that doesn’t have ties to UT. On top of that, coaching staff’s don’t stay long enough to develop what we have or they transfer

Yea I definitely agree with what you’re saying there. My whole point was, I understand that some of them are not going to live up to their hype and develop. But if a guy is rated 4-5 stars coming out of high school he should AT LEAST be able to provide depth at a minimum, and we are not even getting that….many times over; and it’s killing us.

Reactions: VolsSince78
Not really. It’s just whining. We’re on game 3. Let’s give our coach a little time to see if he can correct our course or not. Whining about failure to develop talent by prior staffs has no bearing on what happens under this one.

Any new coach is going to be stuck with developing the prior coaches talent to an extent.

Not like teams are signing 85 new players every time there is a coaching change.

VN Store

Back