Debuts of HC’s We Wanted & Didn’t Get

While most wanted Gruden, our former AD was happy with Schiano and apparently may have offered to Mullen. There was backlash, then they went to Doreon. Then he interviewed Chad Morris (Per Morris--who said he was distracted and told them he thought he was going to be fired) then Leach. Fulmer interviewed Steele, the Georgia DC and Pruitt. Rumors out there about Brohm (Jimmy Hyam) Taggert, (who was holding out for better than VOLS) Chip Kelly and Scott Frost.
IMHO, Mullen was waiting by the phone on a Saturday morn waiting for a call that never came from Currie. I believe he would have taken the UT job over UF because he had been there before and I think his wife preferred the Smokey Mtns. over Gainesville. I can't confirm this and don't care anymore. I hope Jeremy coaches UT for at least 20 years. Likely when he gets us out of this mess and Saban says bye-bye to Bama they'll offer CP half the state to come back. Same applies to Dabo, Kirby, and a few others.

I think our record would be the same after 3 games as it would have been with Saban, Smart, or Urban. We will see next week just how this season will end up. 3-9 or 6-6.

None of those coaches, including ours, have been proven successful or unsuccessful. It's way too early to make any meaningful analysis of their impact, or lack thereof. Come back in a couple years and we'll see which school made the best hire.

I think UT got the right guy.

Now, I'm biased, but I truly think the coach that nobody wanted (except S. Alabama) but should have looked at is up in Clarksville.

Imo, Frost will be fine, Kelly won't do as good as people thought and have no confidence in Taggart.
I'm not even sure what he has done that got him FSU
He has completed some major rebuilding jobs, but never stuck around to see the fruits of his labor, otherwise prove he can be a frontrunner.

not trying to be mean, did you just take all the words out of the "coaches, the positive" thread, could have sworn i just read this
Never read it. Just watched a recording of the Sports Source and they showed this. 3 HCs at new schools whose names were mentioned early, often, and later in the search. And WE refers to the ADs list of HC’s as rumored while everything completely was botched. So WE as a University...not VolNation.

Reactions: Behr
My guess (I have zero data to support my theory, as usual...) would be that he faced a similar situation at UCF, competing with the likes of FSU, UF, Miami, USF, and the zillion or so P5 teams that mine Florida talent. Granted, it's a lot different in Lincoln, probably different enough that the comparison, if valid, doesn't compare (you still with me?), but something tells me Frost will find enough talent...somewhere...to make Nebraska relevant again.

Best to beat him now, while you can.

Go Vols.
He may very well do it but he's getting off on the wrong foot. He managed to flip Martinez away from us and went on to name him the starter. Trouble is Martinez didn't play much his senior year in HS because of shoulder injury and now he hasn't played a full game and is hobbling around again. The QB that Martinez beat out and who would have been the back-up bailed out leaving Nebraska without a good QB. I'm sure Scott is where he wants to be but I don't see him having any success for quite awhile.
Please put your flame-throwers away and don't take this the wrong way.......of all the coaches we apparently interveiwed, I'm of the opinion that Pruitt will eventually be the best and a close second would have been Schiano.

Reactions: Electric Orange
He may very well do it but he's getting off on the wrong foot. He managed to flip Martinez away from us and went on to name him the starter. Trouble is Martinez didn't play much his senior year in HS because of shoulder injury and now he hasn't played a full game and is hobbling around again. The QB that Martinez beat out and who would have been the back-up bailed out leaving Nebraska without a good QB. I'm sure Scott is where he wants to be but I don't see him having any success for quite awhile.
Please put your flame-throwers away and don't take this the wrong way.......of all the coaches we apparently interveiwed, I'm of the opinion that Pruitt will eventually be the best and a close second would have been Schiano.

No need for a Zippo here, I agree completely.

Well, except for Schiano. Sorry, he's a lightning rod. And I have rules about getting too close to lightning rods.

Go Vols.

I would have never hired Taggart...FSU on crack
I didn't personally like Chip either. Granted he doesn't have his players but he has talent on that team to beat Cincy. His style of the game is no longer a secret and teams can defend it.
Frost just doesn't have the horses yet let alone a healthy scholarship QB.
Mullen is milk toast, and if you look at how much better MissSt is without him, it makes you wonder.
Poor Chad Morris, Arky makes Tennessee look like 1938 Vols.
Oregon did ok with Christobal
Both Arizona and Arizona State fumbled on their coaching hires with Sumlin and Edwards
Jimbo Fisher is much better than I thought after the way he let that team go South last year at FSU.

Pruitt has done ok. Especially if you consider that he doesn't have his players and he is changing Offense and Defense styles, totally new coaching staff and that schedule, bloody bad schedule.

I really think that Kiffin would have gotten us competing the quickest in the SEC. He is an offensive genius but unfortunately a genius at being offensive, but not to his players. He and Ed Orgeron can make an 18 year old believe anything. That being said, I like Pruitt. He has a pedigree of winning and if TN gives him enough time, I believe he will prove ( even to 18 year olds) that he can replicate the Saban formula. His 🌽 bread nature could even be more enduring in the South than Saban if he is patiently given the time. Alabama created a dynasty with a carpet bagger. We can do it better with true grits.

I really think that Kiffin would have gotten us competing the quickest in the SEC. He is an offensive genius but unfortunately a genius at being offensive, but not to his players. He and Ed Orgeron can make an 18 year old believe anything. That being said, I like Pruitt. He has a pedigree of winning and if TN gives him enough time, I believe he will prove ( even to 18 year olds) that he can replicate the Saban formula. His 🌽 bread nature could even be more enduring in the South than Saban if he is patiently given the time. Alabama created a dynasty with a carpet bagger. We can do it better with true grits.

True Grits. Cornbread. Aight.

What's not to like?

Go Vols.

Reactions: KennyMayne
Scott Frost/Nebraska: 0-2 with losses to Colorado 33-28 & Troy 24-19.

Chip Kelly/UCLA (my pick cuz of current roster type): 0-3 with losses to Cincinnati 26-17, Oklahoma 49-21, & Fresno State 38-14.

Willie Taggart/FSU: 1-2 with a win against Samford (not Stanford) 36-26 then losses to VaTech 24-3 & Syracuse 30-7.

Just a reminder that super hires like Frost & Kelly are not guaranteed instant W’s.

Do you realize all those coaches have rebuilding jobs to do that will take time? Or are you naive enough to think a losing D1 college football program can be turned around in one Spring and Fall camp? Terrible thread idea

Reactions: Jack Burton
Scott Frost/Nebraska: 0-2 with losses to Colorado 33-28 & Troy 24-19.

Chip Kelly/UCLA (my pick cuz of current roster type): 0-3 with losses to Cincinnati 26-17, Oklahoma 49-21, & Fresno State 38-14.

Willie Taggart/FSU: 1-2 with a win against Samford (not Stanford) 36-26 then losses to VaTech 24-3 & Syracuse 30-7.

Just a reminder that super hires like Frost & Kelly are not guaranteed instant W’s.
Taggart? lol. NO way that dude was ever mentioned seriously.

Reactions: matt1107
I'm more pleased with Pruitt than I thought I would be. My guy was Brohm. He's not off to a good start this year either.

I heard Taggert’s name a few times by some posters but I don’t recall anybody seriously wanting him.

Chip Kelly
Chris Petersen
Jon Gruden

Probably the most popular out of all the candidates that was brought up during the coaching search.

Frost has a walk-on QB. You want to imagine what we'd be like in that situation? Hell, remember what
even playing McBride was like?

Pruitt doesn’t even have an O-Line that’s worth a crap to protect the QB.

Not saying Frost doesn’t have a rough job right now but Pruitt walked into a pretty bad situation as well.

Reactions: Bret178
I wouldnt bet against Frost turning Nebraska into a powerhouse again in the next 3-5 years, especially since he doesnt have to play in the SEC. I would have been happy to have him or Kiffin (even with his baggage) here. That said, it is well known in the SEC especially, that "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships." For that reason, I think it was good fortune (and Fullmer's wisdom) that got us Pruitt, who is unquestionably a defensive mastermind, from the Saban and Propst trees, with deep recruiting ties in the SEC, who has competed and won on the biggest stages, has serious respect from legendary coaches and has coached up and sent a lot of players to the NFL.

It may take us more time than we would like to get to where we want to be but I suspect that in 3 years, Pruitt will have us in a place where we are no longer ashamed to watch football on Saturdays.

Reactions: GreyWolf1129
I wouldnt bet against Frost turning Nebraska into a powerhouse again in the next 3-5 years, especially since he doesnt have to play in the SEC. I would have been happy to have him or Kiffin (even with his baggage) here. That said, it is well known in the SEC especially, that "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships." For that reason, I think it was good fortune (and Fullmer's wisdom) that got us Pruitt, who is unquestionably a defensive mastermind, from the Saban and Propst trees, with deep recruiting ties in the SEC, who has competed and won on the biggest stages, has serious respect from legendary coaches and has coached up and sent a lot of players to the NFL.

It may take us more time than we would like to get to where we want to be but I suspect that in 3 years, Pruitt will have us in a place where we are no longer ashamed to watch football on Saturdays.

This.

Pruitt doesn’t even have an O-Line that’s worth a crap to protect the QB.

Not saying Frost doesn’t have a rough job right now but Pruitt walked into a pretty bad situation as well.

How many of those linemen are walkons?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back