DE depth - razor thin

So let me get this straight. We are razor thin at DE and LB, but there are still people on this board stating that we will win up to 9 games this season.

So let me get this straight. We are razor thin at DE and LB, but there are still people on this board stating that we will win up to 9 games this season.

9 of the teams on our schedule have their own bare spots or "razor thin" positions. Maybe 8 if you give the Rebels credit for being well-equipped at all their position groups. Things would have to bounce just right for the Vols to get 9 wins this season. We'd have to win a few of the unlikely ones. However, it could happen, and 7-8 isn't ridiculous when you consider that our bare spots are equally matched by other teams having their own bare spots at various positions.

But the truth is, predicting a specific win total is a fool's errand. Too much of football hinges on luck or tiny margins of error that either go your way or don't. Our NC season was a great example of that. The other intangible is leadership. A unified and confident team whose members trust their leaders so they are all pulling together and willing to fight to the end is something we haven't had in a long time. I think we will finally have that in the 2021 season.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Someone OPINED that we are "razor thin" at those positions. I think we fine at DE, being able to go with either bigger guys or smaller quicker guys. LB does look scrappier right now, but we don't play right now, and the position should be looking different as we get into play next fall.

Crouch is a helluva DE, and would give us a pass rush. He’s never been nor will be a LB
He was progessing just fine at OLB during his freshman season. Statistically he wasn't awful at MLB last season.
And now he's gone without ever getting his feet in a true position.
Honestly I think he would flourish under this new defense. I wish he would come back more than Henry T.

Numbers says we are fine.

Here are the numbers:

Recruiting National Rankings

1. Alabama 7-5* 16-4* 4-3* 6 players in the transfer portal
3. LSU 2-5* 16-4* 5-3* 11 players in the transfer portal
4. Georgia 4-5* 11-4* 5-3* 11 players in the transfer portal
7. Texas A&M 1-5* 15-4* 7-3* 13 players in the transfer portal
13. Florida 1-5* 12-4* 9-3* 10 players in the transfer portal
17. Ole Miss 0-5* 7-4* 18-3* 8 players in the transfer portal
19. Tennessee 0-5* 7-4* 18-3* 27 players in the transfer portal

Our current roster, even with the 27 players in the transfer portal, could only muster 3 SEC wins last year.

Granted I'm no Pythagoras, but these numbers don't come close to adding up to 9 wins in 2021.

Edit: Formatting is a challenge.

Last edited:
Here are the numbers:

National Recruiting Rank 5* 4* 3* In Transfer Portal
1. Alabama 7 16 4 6
3. LSU 2 16 5 11
4. Georgia 4 11 5 11
7. Texas A&M 1 15 7 13
13. Florida 1 12 9 10
17. Ole Miss 0 7 18 8
19. Tennessee 0 7 18 27

Our current roster, even with the 27 players in the transfer portal, could only muster 3 SEC wins last year.

Granted I'm not Pythagoras, but these numbers don't come close to adding up to 9 wins in 2021.
Very Very Very Very Very bad coaching from last staff.. if you can't see how much better and faster the offense looks than I can't help you . I can't put very enough.

Very Very Very Very Very bad coaching from last staff.. if you can't see how much better and faster the offense looks than I can't help you . I can't put very enough.

Bad coaching leads to termination so that point is obvious, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conservation. As anemic as our offense was last year if we just average 2 TDs/game that is a 43% increase in scoring, so having a "much better" offense in 2021 is a pretty low bar to get over. Additionally, a fast offense does not necessarily equate to SEC-caliber talent and SEC wins.

Don't get me wrong I hope he can turn the ship around, but to think we can get to 9 wins this coming season is simply not realistic. It is going to be a long, long, long, long, long process, especially if we continue to hover in the 15-20 range in national recruiting rankings. I can't put long enough.

Bad coaching leads to termination so that point is obvious, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conservation. As anemic as our offense was last year if we just average 2 TDs/game that is a 43% increase in scoring, so having a "much better" offense in 2021 is a pretty low bar to get over. Additionally, a fast offense does not necessarily equate to SEC-caliber talent and SEC wins.

Don't get me wrong I hope he can turn the ship around, but to think we can get to 9 wins this coming season is simply not realistic. It is going to be a long, long, long, long, long process, especially if we continue to hover in the 15-20 range in national recruiting rankings. I can't put long enough.
Umkay. Settle in and have fun or be patient and shut up.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back