DC Position

• Zach Arnett

Votes: 100 25.9%
  • Kevin Steele

Votes: 216 56.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 70 18.1%

• Total voters
A true 3-3-5 has 3 safeties, 2 of which are overhang defenders usually over slot WRs. Nose is in a 0 tech over center, ends are in a 4 or 5 tech over tackles, LBs lined up behind each DL. Good defense against the pass, not so great against the run usually. Can create confusion in assignments but not many people at point of attack. I prefer a 4-2-5 over a 3-3-5.
Good stuff...yeah I agree I want 4 big guys up front...if you can't stop the run then you aren't going to win many games

So your telling me some of the same people that didn’t want to hire Leach because he doesn’t play defense are now wanting his DC? Makes sense.

Reactions: jackaro
I don’t buy Arnett leaving MSU for UT. I bet Steele takes the job, if offered, because what other options does he have if he wants to coach. He tried a coup at Auburn and it made him look like a snake. No one is hiring him as a HC at a Power 5 school. Maybe he just retires. I hope they hire a young up and coming coach. Might as well clean house and start over.

Reactions: Alto1
A true 3-3-5 has 3 safeties, 2 of which are overhang defenders usually over slot WRs. Nose is in a 0 tech over center, ends are in a 4 or 5 tech over tackles, LBs lined up behind each DL. Good defense against the pass, not so great against the run usually. Can create confusion in assignments but not many people at point of attack. I prefer a 4-2-5 over a 3-3-5.
You're hired.

Arnett if you can get him. Seems to have a good relationship with Leach.

Steele if he comes with Garner and some other recruiters with some fight in them. Don't know if Steele is going to want to work with a head coach who plays this game even faster than Malzahn.

Like Dale Jones at App State, Joe Gillespie at Tulsa, and Bryan Newberry at Navy. All of them are experts at getting as much out of limited talent as possible. Don't know how familiar Heupel would be with Jones. But he would know what Gillespie and Newberry are all about.

My orange soul is talking here...but I would love to see Dale Jones back in Knoxville. This situation isn't going to scare him and he has a perspective on the game and the requirements to play it that would be useful to Heupel and the program as it moves forward.

Reactions: VolnJC
I think we will all get the answer either today or tomorrow. They have been waiting for some reason and I just think the let us all know the whole staff by the end of the week.

It depends on how you play the DBs. Do you man up and press ou the outside or do you play zone with safeties responsible for the deep post and fly patterns? Our defense had real problems with slants and deep middle throws. We need someone who can play man with the ability to breakup passes on the deep sidelines and over the middle. One good thing about our offense is the defense will get a lot of practice against almost any pass which can be thrown. I think the 3-3-5 is best against the slant and other short stuff over the middle. The key is foe our offense to put points on th3 board an$ force their offense to throw passes all day. We should be able to get a lot of ints this year.

Reactions: VolnJC
The guy that realizes that you’re allowed to make in game adjustments and those adjustments actually work has my vote.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Both are modified 3-4 schemes with safeties occupying the traditional OLB slots. Like both, but I also prefer the 4-2-5.

VN Store

Back