Sounds like we have a few guys who will be out, according to Pruitt:

Darrin Kirkland will miss most of spring with knee rehab

Eric Gray out after shoulder surgery this winter

Tyus Fields limited after ankle surgery in December

Chris Akporoghene will miss a few days after having a minor knee procedure

Kurott Garland is dealing with an undisclosed injury but should be back soon

Brandon Kennedy could play now if needed but won't rush him back this spring

JJ Peterson is banged up
How is JJ Peterson “banged up”? First day of Spring Practice in shorts.

Reactions: VolAllen
We badly need Crouch, HT and Peterson to move on past DKJr imho. He was a liability at LB last year to put it mildly.

I agree. Sounds like maybe Reid could surprise this year based on him getting into shape. Maybe Ignot will step up this year. Relying on a bunch of true FR LBs isnt the best scenario imo. But if they are clearly bettef than the upperclassmen, then play them.

Reactions: KBVol and LittleVol
Sounds like lingering injuries from HS. Could be a serious issue going forward if those injuries are still hampering him. He lost some recruiting stock at the end because of it.

I'm going to focus on the guys who are on the field. Guys who don't practice don't play. If kids can't get healthy and compete/contribute, hopefully they will move on or be recruited over quickly.

looks like he tweaked his knee in one of the LB drills. You can see it in the video

I wonder if Kirkland can actually play this year. He has not been the same since the VT game.

Kirkland was one of the best true freshman ive seen in a good while.. nothing against you at all but i hate that VT game talk.. we all know what what happened and what he can do and he actually showed a bit of his freshman self last year but it just seems no one can talk about Darrin without saying he hasn't been the same since the VT game.. we know. One Love

Reactions: dcm3w
being admitted to college? id say that was a coup.

how anyone at UT can be overweight is beyond me! walking to the strip will burn hald a cheezeburger off. there's no where on campus thats flat.
???
I don't remember Kirkland ever having weight issues.

Freak, to the OP you can add Trey Smith, whose recurring lung blood clots issue may severely limit him. Hate it for the young man.

Sounds like lingering injuries from HS. Could be a serious issue going forward if those injuries are still hampering him. He lost some recruiting stock at the end because of it.
If he’s still struggling from highschool injuries a year and a half after his last highschool football game, then he’ll never make an impact here.
The playbook beat him up.
Right after all that last minute highschool homework kicked his arse. Plus, looked like he’d never so much as done a push-up when he finally got here. He’s got bust written all over him until further notice imo.

I agree. Sounds like maybe Reid could surprise this year based on him getting into shape. Maybe Ignot will step up this year. Relying on a bunch of true FR LBs isnt the best scenario imo. But if they are clearly bettef than the upperclassmen, then play them.

Pretty clear we can't watch and hope that injury prone guys finally get healthy. JP shows up out of shape last year and can't get through day 1 in shorts without a problem? Kirkland hasn't been the same player for some time now. If he were going to finally get "healthy", I think we'd have seen it by now. Don't see us being able to count on either of those two. That's why I think you'll see Banks make the move back to LB before the end of spring and a focus on LB in the upcoming recruiting class again. We'll have no choice but to run with the freshmen this season. Frankly, I'm excited by it. Let's simplify and roll with the young guns.

JP may turn out to be an all american, but we see this so many times with kids who cut it close academically or those coming from juco. Not saying some aren't challenged with learning issues, but for a good many, it's simply work ethic. If you don't have it, it will show up in the classroom AND in the weight room/on the field. I think Pruitt is looking for guys who have it all together and have a passion for this game. That will be reflected in our recruiting classes going forward. We'll not need to take chances on kids with academic issues, injuries or be filling holes with juco guys. Those kids are like a box of crackerjacks. You just don't know what's inside.

We badly need Crouch, HT and Peterson to move on past DKJr imho. He was a liability at LB last year to put it mildly.

We badly need all of our quality players. Hoping this spring is like last spring and we come through relatively healthy.

Sounds like we have a few guys who will be out, according to Pruitt:

Darrin Kirkland will miss most of spring with knee rehab

Eric Gray out after shoulder surgery this winter

Tyus Fields limited after ankle surgery in December

Chris Akporoghene will miss a few days after having a minor knee procedure

Kurott Garland is dealing with an undisclosed injury but should be back soon

Brandon Kennedy could play now if needed but won't rush him back this spring

JJ Peterson is banged up
How is JJ banged up already? It’s day 1!
🍊🍊🍊

VN Store

Back