Dawn Staley rumored Interview for NBA Portland Trail Blazers

If an organization thinks a bunch of multi-millionaire alpha athletes with testosterone out the roof are going to listen to a female college coach then they are delusional. The woke in this is astounding.

Exactly why it just might happen. If any organization out there is more hell bent on high decibel virtue signaling to the woke crowd, it's the NBA.

If they do offer Staley it’s a courtesy thing Becky Hammon would be the logical choice who had coaches men, paid her dues, and learned from one of the best coaches to coach the game. I think that would have far more legitimacy than Staley and that’s not a knock on Staley’s ability to coach but more a recognition of who is probably more prepared.

Let's be honest. It would be virtue signaling. Staley is not even in the same stratosphere as Hammons as an NBA coaching prospect as far as being near that game.

It would keep bowl cut Stephen A Smith from race baiting though.

If an organization thinks a bunch of multi-millionaire alpha athletes with testosterone out the roof are going to listen to a female college coach then they are delusional. The woke in this is astounding.

Pat could've coached men easily and would've run them harder than any male coach should they have not listened to or respected her. WTBS, Staley certainly isn't in Pat's league, and professional sports is a different story vs. college. Egos are even higher there.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

They might listen... if they want to win. Or should women not be in board rooms, run hedge funds, etc?

They might listen... if they want to win. Or should women not be in board rooms, run hedge funds, etc?
Not a fair comparison. We are talking the NBA. If you think a woman coach is going to understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women then there’s no point discussing further. And no the same plays in both offense and defense are considerably different. I’m sure she is plenty smart enough but the players are not going to listen. And as much as I loved Pat, she would not have been successful either and I bet she understood that.

Not a fair comparison. We are talking the NBA. If you think a woman coach is going to understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women then there’s no point discussing further. And no the same plays in both offense and defense are considerably different. I’m sure she is plenty smart enough but the players are not going to listen. And as much as I loved Pat, she would not have been successful either and I bet she understood that.

Explain to us how, then, a male coach can be successful coaching women since a man “cannot understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women.”

Also, do you somehow believe Pat chose not to coach men when she was asked to do so because she deep-down doubted she’d be successful? If you truly believe that, shame on you. Also, you are full of poop.

Pat chose not to leave the women’s game because her life’s mission was to advance the prospects and the respect of WOMEN. I suspect she felt that leaving to coach men would have been abandoning the people she knew needed her year-round attention and dogged determination the most. Sure, everyone would have said, “Wow! A woman successfully coaching men! Who’da thunk it!?”

But at that time it was highly unlikely that even if Pat had coached an NBA franchise to a championship that it would have translated into more women being offered jobs coaching men. Pat was offered back in the day because everyone flat-out KNEW she was a different kind of woman. She WOULD have been successful.

And back to the argument that a woman can’t “understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women,” it’s a stunningly stupid argument to imply that because women, well, aren’t men, that they cannot possibly comprehend physiology or see with their own eyes the differences in levels of athleticism and how that translates into performance capabilities.

Seriously, your desperation to keep the NBA a mens’ only club says some stuff about you that you may not be aware it’s saying. :rolleyes:

You're living 50 years in the past. Basketball coaching at that level is mainly relationships and strategy. It's much more than teaching a tall guy to dunk. Getting buy in from players might be an issue but male coaches have the same struggles. Elite coaches can get the buy in. I think Dawn is capable, competent, and confident enough to get it done.

Or she might fail miserably just like 90% of the male coaches preceding her. Imo she'd be worth the risk.

Also, do you somehow believe Pat chose not to coach men when she was asked to do so because she deep-down doubted she’d be successful? If you truly believe that, shame on you. Also, you are full of poop.

Pat chose not to leave the women’s game because her life’s mission was to advance the prospects and the respect of WOMEN. I suspect she felt that leaving to coach men would have been abandoning the people she knew needed her year-round attention and dogged determination the most. Sure, everyone would have said, “Wow! A woman successfully coaching men! Who’da thunk it!?”

But at that time it was highly unlikely that even if Pat had coached an NBA franchise to a championship that it would have translated into more women being offered jobs coaching men. Pat was offered back in the day because everyone flat-out KNEW she was a different kind of woman. She WOULD have been successful.

And back to the argument that a woman can’t “understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women,” it’s a stunningly stupid argument to imply that because women, well, aren’t men, that they cannot possibly comprehend physiology or see with their own eyes the differences in levels of athleticism and how that translates into performance capabilities.

Seriously, your desperation to keep the NBA a mens’ only club says some stuff about you that you may not be aware it’s saying. :rolleyes:
So stupid no reply necessary but continue with the condescending attitude.

Not a fair comparison. We are talking the NBA.

You're right, running hedge funds and board rooms is much harder. NBA basketball is a very simple game at it's core. It's basically just managing the talent of ten men. Running a Fortune 500 company isn't even comparable.

Explain to us how, then, a male coach can be successful coaching women since a man “cannot understand the difference in athletic abilities of men vs women.”
Fair argument. However, those coaches started coaching women. Now, you’re going to ask someone that has been coaching college women for years to coach men at the NBA level? Not college men but pro men. How many years are you going to give her for a learning curve?

Last edited:

I think that’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. You should just say “professional male athletes’ egos won’t let them be coached by a woman” and leave it at that. Because that’s what the actual issue is.

So stupid no reply necessary but continue with the condescending attitude.

Imagine saying this and then calling someone else condescending. 🤣🤡🤡🤡 You’re the only one with the condescending attitude here. I never see you on this board, and it seems you’ve only popped up to say that a woman can’t coach men because women are athletically inferior — as if that pertains to coaching ability.

Imagine saying this and then calling someone else condescending. 🤣🤡🤡🤡 You’re the only one with the condescending attitude here. I never see you on this board, and it seems you’ve only popped up to say that a woman can’t coach men because women are athletically inferior — as if that pertains to coaching ability.
Over 3700 posts and 11 years, ok.

Its a tactic to get SC to pay her more money, See seen what Kim is getting at LSU and Barnes is getting at Arizona. If the NBA job was to go to a women it should be Becky she has paid her NBA dues and players around the league respect her..

"No ounce of me wants to coach outside of college".

Gee, she really needs to work on her negotiation skills then....... :p

Yep, and there is no way that a man under six feet could coach an NBA team. If you think a short man can understand the athletic differences to tall players then there is no point discussing further.

Tall players aren't going to listen to a short male coach.

Yep, and there is no way that a man under six feet could coach an NBA team. If you think a short man can understand the athletic differences to tall players then there is no point discussing further.

Tall players aren't going to listen to a short male coach.

I think u have a point

VN Store

Back