Dawn Staley big Holly fan!!!

I joked about it but I do think Dawn is at least semi-sincere. She's in a win-win situation here. Of course it benefits her if the LVs stay crappy so she can focus solely on Mississippi state. But deep down I suspect she truly likes Holly, as do most people apparently, and probably moreso feels a coaching fraternity kinship.

Every coach knows at some point it could, and likely will, be their butt on fire. I'm sure they feel they could never be as god awful as HW has turned out to be as a HC, but all will eventually have their day of judgement.

So Dawn makes nice and wishes HW well as she hits the door, while knowing its going to take a minute for the LVs to give her longterm problems again. Win-win.

Holly is extremely likeable.
Nobody disagrees with that. Friendly, personable, polite, classy. And loves UT.
The disagreement comes when discussing whether she should remain as our coach.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Holly nice, Holly humble, we all know that, but we're here to win. No pro team would keep her after 3yrs with the high profile team she had been working with.

No question, I've said it many times, this is absolutely not personal against HW; in fact, due to her likability and her PS connection she's gotten way more slack than anyone else ever would have.

But at this point, anyone who cares about HW personally would lead an intervention to get her to accept reality and resign. Stop putting yourself thru this agony. It's great to not be a quitter, but at some point you enter the definition of insanity territory. When deep in a hole, stop digging.

That's interesting. SC fan here. I see it this way, Dawn is already beating 95% of the coaches in the SEC on a regular basis now so why would she have so much trouble beating whomever comes after Holly? How are you so sure that your next coach will even be great? He or she "could" come in & be considerably better than Holly, but does that automatically guarantee that the Lady Vols will start winning the SEC again year after year?

I understand you vol fans wanting to get back to being on top again; it just doesn't always happen. You all do realize that SC has a batch of great players coming in next year right? Some of you claimed that SC wouldn't do much of anything once Wilson graduated but yet here they are the 2nd best team in the SEC this year, & will go back to being dominant next year.

All I'm saying is Dawn doesn't need Holly to stay at UT because she's gonna win regardless of who your next coach will be. UT has benefited from having a slew of 5 star players year after year. Now that other teams in the SEC are getting their fair share of great players it will be a dogfight to the top every year. Nothing is guaranteed. But most of you ARE smart enough to know that Dawn isn't some mediocre coach that you're about to start trouncing once your new "star" coach is hired. That's just my 2 cents. Go Vols & go SEC! By the way props to your men's basketball team :)

First off I think Staley is a great coach and I actually was hoping she'd replace Pat. That being said it's to not only her benefit but other coaches as well if UT hangs on to Warlick as long as possible. Even with a below mediocre coach they still pull in top recruits it's unfortunate they don't get the coaching they deserve. The Lady Vols are to women's bball what Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas are to the men's side. Once Holly is replaced most of us have no doubt elite coaches will want this job and Tennessee will be right back on top. Just my 2 cents šŸ˜

First off I think Staley is a great coach and I actually was hoping she'd replace Pat. That being said it's to not only her benefit but other coaches as well if UT hangs on to Warlick as long as possible. Even with a below mediocre coach they still pull in top recruits it's unfortunate they don't get the coaching they deserve. The Lady Vols are to women's bball what Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas are to the men's side. Once Holly is replaced most of us have no doubt elite coaches will want this job and Tennessee will be right back on top. Just my 2 cents šŸ˜
I agree with your points. I'm 36 years old & grew up watching the Lady Vols back in high school. They are a big reason why I became a fan of the women's game years ago. I understand how much your program means to your fan base as well as many others who love the sport. You didn't deserve to lose 5 games in a row. Holly will be out as HC & sooner rather than later.

Tweet from Dawn Staley. This is why Holly needs to go. OF COURSE DAWN WANTS HER TO STAY!!! IT MAKES HER JOB EASIER. If it was Holly being run out of town for something off the court, I get it. But of course she would want her competition to keep playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Tweet below:

"Am! One if my colleague is at a point in the season where thereā€™s a lot of despair & loud rumbling of fire her or get rid of her already are all over social media. No one feels as bad as she does. Show her the love Pat Summitt has given all of us & WBB. #PATSLOVE @LadyVol_Hoops"
Who wouldn't want Holly at UT....For S. Carolina that's a win.....

My two cents; Holly has mostly 5 star recruits, but doesn't seem to be able to get the chemistry working. Calipari at Kentucky started the season much the same way as the Lady Vols, but he has gotten the players to perform at the level they should with their talent. Difference is development. Kentucky is getting it, Lady Vols aren't.

Coaches always support other coaches, and they should. Saban supported Butch Jones too, when the rumblings hit an all time high for his firing. Holly has a lot of support, but that doesn't mean shes cut out to be a Head Coach.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with everyone who's convinced that Dawn is being deceitful in standing up for Holly. I know our country has grown ridiculously cynical and all, but my goodness! Dawn has known Holly for decades, and like just about everyone else who meets her, likely very much likes the kind person that Holly is widely known as being.

Is it really impossible to think that she can like Holly and not want her to be hurt, even though they coach against one another? In women's college basketball circles in particular, it's not uncommon for rivals to be great friends off the court. Pat Summitt adored so many of her coaching rivals, as I recall.

Anyway, I personally believe that Dawn Staley is being genuinely supportive, and I admire that a lot.

Looks like the support Saban gave for Derek Fooley. Staley wants Folly Warlick around as long as possible. Perhaps she'd hire Warlick to help out at USCjr?

I don't think Holly is the solution, but the magnitude of the noise on social media is mitigated by all intelligent individuals who examine the messages en mass and find so many of them to be crafted by adolescent level folks who think it is powerful to transpose names and apply endless other mindless tactics to share their opinions.... you would think Tennessee fans would have learned from some of our other fans who embarassed us all with their mattress burning and petition signing exploits when dealing with other attention worthy subjects. Better adult worthy methods are available to us all.

No question, I've said it many times, this is absolutely not personal against HW; in fact, due to her likability and her PS connection she's gotten way more slack than anyone else ever would have.

But at this point, anyone who cares about HW personally would lead an intervention to get her to accept reality and resign. Stop putting yourself thru this agony. It's great to not be a quitter, but at some point you enter the definition of insanity territory. When deep in a hole, stop digging.
Holly believes strongly that destroying Pat's legacy is the infamy that she has to accept along with the honor of being head coach and receiving a salary of approximately $700,000. She believes also that she is a good coach regardless of the six straight losses and other negative records the LVs have incurred under her leadership. She would step down immediately if she did not believe these two assumptions.

There's a new t-shirt available at the Gamecock online apparel store:

2rzeh4.jpg

Order yours today!! They are selling like hotcakes.....

Does anybody else find a tweet like that strange in the middle of the season about an opposition coach? Lady Vols has looked as bad as they ever have basically since the early days of the program. Now you got a rival tweeting support to try to influence a decision. Of course she likes looking across the SEC and seeing a terribly coached team she can beat consistently. This is life, not rec league ball with a part time coach. She is crazy.
Done call (hw) a part time coach, just call her part time.

Tweet from Dawn Staley. This is why Holly needs to go. OF COURSE DAWN WANTS HER TO STAY!!! IT MAKES HER JOB EASIER. If it was Holly being run out of town for something off the court, I get it. But of course she would want her competition to keep playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Tweet below:

"Am! One if my colleague is at a point in the season where thereā€™s a lot of despair & loud rumbling of fire her or get rid of her already are all over social media. No one feels as bad as she does. Show her the love Pat Summitt has given all of us & WBB. #PATSLOVE @LadyVol_Hoops"

I am cool with you giving support to a colleague. I am cool with you stepping out on a limb and even mentioning the biggest name in ladies basketball when you coach at a rival school. I am NOT cool with saying that we should show her the love Pat would. ?????? What ?????? Have you lost your cotton picking mind? Pats head would have exploded if we had played this way while she was here. Pat would show her some love..... Show her the door and say honey this is not for you.

Reactions: rockytopdevil
Iā€™ve always seen Dawn as a class act, I donā€™t see any ill or shade behind it. But thatā€™s just my opinion.

Coach's are more competitive and look for every angle and every advantage possible. The really good one's want to win at everything and will do almost anything to get a upper hand, its in their DNA.. It's hard to relate as a everyday 9 to 5 person like most of us.

Let's see if Staley hires her here in a few weeks, he'll let's see if anyone hires her.

Would Holly still have a job if she wasn't who she is?

Let's see if Staley hires her here in a few weeks, he'll let's see if anyone hires her.

Would Holly still have a job if she wasn't who she is?

I'm curious about this. If Holly is fired and does not retire, does anyone believe she would be a sought out coach prospect because of her impressive (for WCBB, not the Lady Vols) W-L record?

I'm curious about this. If Holly is fired and does not retire, does anyone believe she would be a sought out coach prospect because of her impressive (for WCBB, not the Lady Vols) W-L record?
The only thing she has to hang her hat on is her recruiting. That will be called into question because is it her or is it the Lady Vols?

The only thing she has to hang her hat on is her recruiting. That will be called into question because is it her or is it the Lady Vols?

I agree with you. Players were interested because it was Tennessee, then Holly did a good job sealing the deal. But take away the Tennessee part? If she was at LSU, would she be able to even get the elite recruits to come for a visit?

I think she obviously has a knack for recruiting, but I think her recruiting prizes have been amplified by being able to leverage the Tennessee name.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I agree with you. Players were interested because it was Tennessee, then Holly did a good job sealing the deal. But take away the Tennessee part? If she was at LSU, would she be able to even get the elite recruits to come for a visit?

I think she obviously has a knack for recruiting, but I think her recruiting prizes have been amplified by being able to leverage the Tennessee name.
I think she's been riding Pat's coattails and they're finally threadbare.

Reactions: Amb3096

VN Store

Back