Dave Clawson

I’m not advocating for him to get a job that’s not available, however he has won everywhere he has coached. Winning at Wake Forest with their academic standards. Supposedly Fulmer wouldn’t let him bring any offensive assistants with him and also handcuffed him by not letting him install his complete offense.
I don't think it's fair to say he's won everywhere he's coached. In seven years at Wake he's 40-45 (19-36 in conference). He's 72-77 between BGSU and Wake.

No reason to leave WF. He has a good thing going for him.
first time this year to watch amore than 2 quarters of a Deacon game
Toss out the out-0f-characterisic qb play, and t appears Clawson is doing particularly well this season at a university that has to struggle for respectability. I never played football at the high school level but --for the life of me -- can't understand how his offense was that impossible to learn in his year at UT.

Kudos to Wisconsin -- continues to show depth and strength while developing walkons and a h swarm of 3star player.
GBO

Since my daughter graduated from Wake Forest my wallet has told me that I have the right to call them my team when the Vols aren't playing. Clawson has done a great job at WF. He's perfect for that school because he has a real gift for analyzing talent and developing it. He has built that program on 2 and 3 star recruits. He will occassionally get a 4 star but it's rare. Even with those limitations he's had 2 first round draft picks the last three years.

But he's also a bit of a flake. I don't think he would be able to consistently recruit SEC level talent.

He was destined to fail at UT when he was the OC. He had a scheme where you moved your O-linemen around to create mismatches. One play you might be LG, the next RG. But the word is that Fulmer wouldn't let him run his full offense. The result was on one play the offense would run Clawson's scheme and on the next play it would be the Fulmer/Cutcliffe/ Sanders offense. The O-line couldn't deal with the constant back and forth plus the plays wouldn't be designed to set up the next play. A total cluster.

Reactions: ArdentVol
first time this year to watch amore than 2 quarters of a Deacon game
Toss out the out-0f-characterisic qb play, and t appears Clawson is doing particularly well this season at a university that has to struggle for respectability. I never played football at the high school level but --for the life of me -- can't understand how his offense was that impossible to learn in his year at UT.

Kudos to Wisconsin -- continues to show depth and strength while developing walkons and a h swarm of 3star player.
GBO
Coach Fulmer was the problem with Dave Clawson's offense at Tennessee.

Pretty much. It's honestly going to be almost the same situation Jones was in for 2017. We're going to have a pretty weak OOC schedule like 2017, so unless we pick up some huge OOC opponent before next season, that's probalby 4 wins; unless I'm missing that Pitt is going to be great next season. That leaves 8 SEC games. 3 of them are likely definite Ls (AL, FL, GA). The rest are all very winnable. SC and Vandy are probably definite Ws and that leaves 3 toss ups. So yeah we can win only 1 of those toss ups, go 3-5 in the SEC but 7-5 overall and suddenly many of the same people calling for his head right now are then bragging about how he turned it around.
I still think with 7-5 he’s fired. That’s year 4 and never beating any top tier SEC school. 7-5 would be ok from where we are and another coach could build off of it. But I’d say don’t be the last team to fire the coach so we don’t lose out in the market if top tier coaches that are available .

So next year it is all JP recruits and transfers. 100% his people as starters, so.....either 8 wins or better or he will never have a decent program. Good news is Bailey and Salter, RB's, WRs and OL all have potential to be great if let loose. I think the talent is there....Chaney has been a good OC in the past.

The bad news is I have no idea how this season went off the rails. Up to the first half of the Georgia game this was a team that was top 5 in the SEC and second half of Georgia onward, was one of the 3 worst teams in the SEC.

We looked bad in our 1st 3 games but found a way to win 2 of those games. Without a pick 6 and a fumble recovery on a punt we lose to SCAR. UGA gifted us a free TD to start the game. We got a scoring drive extended when one of their players squirted JG with a water bottle. UGA’s QB was a 4th string walk on which is why they couldn’t score much on our D without turnovers.

I thought they’d pull the plug already. 2022 is the best recruiting class in the state from over the last decade. Next year should be an 8-4 year. I think we all know it won’t be. CJP is an under achiever. If they pull the plug early enough to salvage the recruiting class next year then the 2022 season could still be really promising. We need a coach that wins the games he’s supposed to and can win two to three a year he isn’t. That hire is literally coaching right down the road. It feels so hard to believe but the right coaching change could spring board UT right back up to the level or Georgia.
The only plug that needs to be pulled is to get rid 0f the DUMB folks that continue to write these stupid comments

I’m not advocating for him to get a job that’s not available, however he has won everywhere he has coached. Winning at Wake Forest with their academic standards. Supposedly Fulmer wouldn’t let him bring any offensive assistants with him and also handcuffed him by not letting him install his complete offense.

I remember watching Fulmer losing his legacy over the Clawfense. Unforgivable

He’s the reason Phil got Phil fired.

Every time I hear about the Clawson system, I think of a moment on the sideline in 2008 when the camera caught an o-line meeting between possessions where Josh McNeil said “my God... it’s just not that hard”.

Reactions: Border Vol
I don't think it's fair to say he's won everywhere he's coached. In seven years at Wake he's 40-45 (19-36 in conference). He's 72-77 between BGSU and Wake.

Might pay to look at his record before making a dumb statement like that.

Why are folks jumping down the OP’s throat? OP made a comment that Clawson is doing well @ Wake Forest. OP even said the job was not open and nor advocating for Clawson to get the job of it was open.

This is a message board and some people enjoy the “what if” game and having different discussions about UT sports. I just don’t understand getting a riled up.

Good Luck to the basketball Vols tonight. Will be a tough game yet give us a barometer of where we stand.

Reactions: backdoorcutvol
He may be the worst offensive coordinator ever, but what if Fulmer was still in charge of the offense. I’ve always thought the head coach has a head set on he knows every play called he could always change it And that could very well be a problem with the current staff.
Fulmer may have meddled, but he had been the coach for 15 years and never put an offense out there as bad as the 2008 Clawfense. Clawson took Lucas Taylor from a 1000 yard receiver in 2007 to 330 yards for the whole 2008 season. Josh Briscoe went from 570 in 2007 to 176 in 2008. Austin Rogers went from 620 in 2007 to 180 in 2008. Crompton threw for 889 yards 4tds 5 int In 2008 only to throw for 2800and 27 tds in 2009. Every player did better under other coaches systems. The Clawfense was a train wreck in the sec.

I'm going to assume that the 4th non-conference opponent will be an FCS team or very low-level FBS pay-to-play patsy. That should mean 3 wins. Pitt is iffy, they finished 6-5 this season and who knows if they get better next year or not. Call it a toss-up since it is in week #2. Kentucky is toss-up #2 and considering the result in 2020, that is being kind to UT. Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt have to be wins along with the 3 non-conference games to get to 7, and a split of the toss-ups means 8-4. Anything better than 8-4 looks like performing above expectation. 9-3 or better is coach of the year territory.
no way we beat Ole Miss. Missouri looked like a much better team later in the year so I doubt we win that one either. If Kentucky has a half decent QB that could be a loss as well. SC and Vanderbilt cou possibly be our only SEC wins.

VN Store

Back