Dave Arslanian details Josh Heupel's competitive edge

I don’t recall saying that. I think most folks would say receiver is one of the few that isn’t a glaring position of need. So, why take a very marginal receiver, when your glaring needs on on defense.
Marginal? Are you basing your opinion on stats, or ability? JP is definitely not a marginal talent, and if you're referring to the walk-on that just committed then I don't know what to say to you. Our receiver room is long on talent, but short on experience. Taking JP from the portal was an indication that Heupel is trying to win right now. No matter who we add from the portal, our defense isn't going to be one of the best in the SEC this year. But, the offense has a chance to make some noise and JP is a polished, experienced deep threat that is tailor made for this offense. He allows for much more flexibility and creativity in what they will be able to do.

After watching five UCF players get drafted, I think Heupel may very well be the long-term answer. But after the last four staffs, a wait and see approach for all of us is completely understandable.
I agree. I think, between the AD and our new coach, we'll see some good things we haven't seen in years.

Reactions: KptVFL and CA_Vol
Defense is irrelevant. If we lose because we can't score, this team has zero chance of short term or long term. Huepel must have an effective and prolific offense to sell recruits. Defensive players will follow in time. If he only manages to score 20ish points average. He'll fail. Other coaches will use that against him in recruiting. He has to go all in to prove his approach as capable.
Ok, so we’re talking about this roster, which seems to be OK at receiver. This transfer is hardly prolific. Through the portal there’s a chance to shore up the defense. Offense and defense aren’t mutually exclusive. Coach Heupel is going to have an all SEc level O-line. If he’s smart, which he seems to be, he’ll utilize this.

30 guys transferred???? That can’t be correct.
They stated on Sports Source today that we have lost 22 players since September of 2020. Many starters or prominent players. We also just lost the top 4 players in our 2021 signing class, so that totals 26. So it was very close to 30 after all.

you are impossible 😂. We just took a good linebacker from Texas. Our defense will probably suck but it won’t be Heupels fault. You can only add so much from transfers
Interesting. Ever see Moneyball? We can't replace 'Johnny Damon' with 1 guy. But we can probably get 2 guys that can. Here's a 'what if' scenario: What if, we were to go all in with JuCos and transfers of mainly 3 and 4 stars. Get a roster that is 3 deep and a great conditioning program. Quick personnel changes on every play or at least every other play with an up tempo style? Intelligent football... The KEY though is being conditioned. Staying with just the mortal teams that have... say 1 and a half lines of starters (not Bama) we could gas the hell out of them. Just spitballing....

I just love this guy. I have no idea how all this will turn out because so much of what happens next is out of his control, but I just really like him, his story, and his willingness to take this rebuild on.

GBO
Agreed. I think it’s ironic as a HC he relieved Wienke of his duties as a QB coach. Payback lol

Interesting. Ever see Moneyball? We can't replace 'Johnny Damon' with 1 guy. But we can probably get 2 guys that can. Here's a 'what if' scenario: What if, we were to go all in with JuCos and transfers of mainly 3 and 4 stars. Get a roster that is 3 deep and a great conditioning program. Quick personnel changes on every play or at least every other play with an up tempo style? Intelligent football... The KEY though is being conditioned. Staying with just the mortal teams that have... say 1 and a half lines of starters (not Bama) we could gas the hell out of them. Just spitballing....
That’s a good thought. It might work on the lines if the size deferential isn’t past a certain point

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I really like the fact that Heupel was a good player. That will give him credibility with recruits that most other coaches just don't have. I've always thought that was something that helps Kirby in recruiting, though he wasn't near the player Heupel was, Kirby was All-SEC. Plus Heupel played on a national championship team, something Kirby obviously didn't, lol.
Didn't help us much with the last staff. Had a Heisman winner coaching qbs. Had national championship coaches. I do want to agree with you though

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I’ve been an OU fan since the 70’s, and go back for a game every few years. If you want to appreciate Heupel’s competitiveness, watch the 2000 OU win over #1 Nebraska, Heupel bringing OU back after a 14pt deficit, and winning 35-14. He wasn’t the most talented QB, but he was very smart, and had Peyton-like accuracy. He will win at UT, the OU way— which is to create competition at every position, every day— Bud Wilkinson started that with his famous chalkboard depth chart, moving players up/down constantly through the season. I’m glad Heupel is here, and hope we can hang on to him for a while. He’s won at the highest level, and knows what it takes.

I believe Tennessee surprises some folks this year. Never thought Pruitt gave 2 cents about the players, Heupel does and they know it.

Well you’re apparently more perceptive than I. I think I probably made this exact post about Pruitt/Jones and obviously that didn’t age well. I don’t think I was alone in that though.

What I’ve learned is to never buy in completely to a new guy. They’re all a little sleazy until proven otherwise. I hope heupel is the one, but I’ll wait a while before I start singing his praises too loudly.

Well you’re apparently more perceptive than I. I think I probably made this exact post about Pruitt/Jones and obviously that didn’t age well. I don’t think I was alone in that though.

What I’ve learned is to never buy in completely to a new guy. They’re all a little sleazy until proven otherwise. I hope heupel is the one, but I’ll wait a while before I start singing his praises too loudly.
Not saying yes or no to the ideal of us surprising people this year but Heupel's offense allows him a better chance of doing then the other 2. I think because he is bringing an element that Tennessee has never had gives him an edge that Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt didn't have jmo tho.

This. Not buying in ever again w/o real results.

I will admit to liking butch early on, NEVER cared for pruitt. will also admit to some of my belief being hope, what else would you expect from a lifelong vol fan.

VN Store

Back