Dave Aranda

I wouldnt be impressed with Ludwig as OC. IIRC he hasnt done much of anything at any school and the scheme is pretty basic power run based.

Has there ever been a less enjoyable national title week than this?....It's not even Friday and they've lost major underclassmen to the draft, their offensive wunderkind assistant, their highly respected (and paid) defensive coordinator and to top it off, they may get freakin' sanctions because a former player was dumb enough to give current players real money at said national championship game.

Geez.
I think they're still on Cloud 9, as well they should be.

Just a couple years ago, they fired Les Miles and after whiffing on their preferred choices (Herman and Jimbo) had to "settle" on Coach O. Within Coach O's first 5 games as full-time coach, they suffer a blowout loss to Miss St and a home loss to Troy. His next year is better but overall still same-old same-old...nice win over Georgia, but Alabama is still their bugaboo in addition to a couple other frustrating conference losses. It seemingly doesn't look they ever are going to be able to get back to the top of the heap as long as Saban is at Alabama, and then boom...they go 15-0 with perhaps the greatest offense in CFB history the very next year. I mean, if Tennessee had a season like that next year, I'd be placated for several years before I started wondering "Can we compete for a title again?"

LSU fans aren't as bad as Bammers. They'll enjoy this one for a little bit before they start getting restless.

Reactions: jackaro

Just a couple years ago, they fired Les Miles and after whiffing on their preferred choices (Herman and Jimbo) had to "settle" on Coach O. Within Coach O's first 5 games as full-time coach, they suffer a blowout loss to Miss St and a home loss to Troy. His next year is better but overall still same-old same-old...nice win over Georgia, but Alabama is still their bugaboo in addition to a couple other frustrating conference losses. It seemingly doesn't look they ever are going to be able to get back to the top of the heap as long as Saban is at Alabama, and then boom...they go 15-0 with perhaps the greatest offense in CFB history the very next year. I mean, if Tennessee had a season like that next year, I'd be placated for several years before I started wondering "Can we compete for a title again?"

LSU fans aren't as bad as Bammers. They'll enjoy this one for a little bit before they start getting restless.

The only requirement is to compete for championships, meaning they don't have to win every championship... but they must be competitive and compete for them. It was obvious that Les would unwilling or unable to compete, a change was made. The change appears to have worked out. Any fan that expects championships every year is unreasonable and unrealistic.

As long as they are competing for championships from time to time, I would expect the cookie monster to have a job.

I actually think his best years were finishing 2016 and 2017... playing with a half deck of cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again

LSU fans aren't as bad as Bammers. They'll enjoy this 3mh9mh.jpgone for a little bit before they start getting restless.

Baylor just got better defensively, and goodness knows they needed to. It doesn't matter if you put 45 points on the scoreboard if your opponent put up 53. The whole Big 12 needs to understand that at some point you have to play a little defense to win championships.

Perhaps you have not watched any Baylor football in 5 years. Briles is no longer BU coach and Baylor had a legit, top 20 nationally, kick ass defense this season.

They basically crapped the bed for second half against OU, lost to them again in OT in Big 12 champ game, and held GA to half as many points as our Vols did in the Sugar Bowl.

Baylor's issue this year was not defense. It was a QB with a concussion problem against OU and UGA. Was knocked out of all three losses.

Last edited:
Umm, have you watched college football in 5 years? Briles is no longer BU coach and Baylor had a legit, nationally relevant, kick ass defense this season.

Sure they did. That's why they gave up 34 unanswered points to the Sooners and George Pickens is just running around in their great defensive secondary catching pass after pass like it's his own backyard. Baylor had one of the better defenses in the Big 12, which is the equivalent of saying Miller Lite is the better of Bud Light and Coors Light. They all sucked. Any Big 12 team that wants to compete for a National Championship is going to have to have a helluva lot better defense than they have now.

Reactions: LouderVol
Sure they did. That's why they gave up 34 unanswered points to the Sooners and George Pickens is just running around in their great defensive secondary catching pass after pass like it's his own backyard. Baylor had one of the better defenses in the Big 12, which is the equivalent of saying Miller Lite is the better of Bud Light and Coors Light. They all sucked. Any Big 12 team that wants to compete for a National Championship is going to have to have a helluva lot better defense than they have now.

Ok, boomer

Perhaps you have not watched any Baylor football in 5 years. Briles is no longer BU coach and Baylor had a legit, top 20 nationally, kick ass defense this season.

They basically crapped the bed for second half against OU, lost to them again in OT in Big 12 champ game, and held GA to half as many points as our Vols did in the Sugar Bowl.

Baylor's issue this year was not defense. It was a QB with a concussion problem against OU and UGA. Was knocked out of all three losses.
And an OC that sucked. He got the job because he was Rhule's roommate at Penn State.

The only defensive category I looked at where Baylor was better than TN was interceptions. By 1.

The rest TN was better. Overall D, redzone D, pass yds allowed, rushing yards allowed.

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Baylor's Aranda takes over with lots of state, Big 12 ties

As for recruiting, Aranda added a commitment this past weekend, when he flipped Baltimore offensive lineman Micah Mazzccua from Michigan.

About an hour after Aranda’s press conference, Raesjon Davis, who is considered the top outside linebacker prospect in the country for next year, tweeted that he’d receiver an offer from Baylor. Davis, who is from California, committed to LSU earlier this month.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. That guy has improved defenses in every location he's been at.

I'll wait to see the staff he puts together, but this could be good for Baylor, bad for everyone else out here if he starts recruiting a competitive defense.
His defenses at LSU were excellent at stopping pro style offenses and bully ball teams like UGA. They had significantly less success against spread teams, which is all he’ll see in the Big 12.

Slightly off topic, but I’ll also be interested to see how Mike Leach does at MSU. We’ll see if LSU’s offense was helped out by SEC defenses not being set up to stop that type of offense.

Reactions: escapegoat2
Aranda hires A&M's recruiting coordinator (Austin Thomas). Aranda and Thomas worked together at LSU.

giphy (6).gif

Aranda hires Dennis Johnson from LSU per Tiger Droppings:

Per Delly: Dennis Johnson Headed to Baylor

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
#LSU analyst Dennis Johnson, a key cog in the Tigers' recruiting machine, is heading to #Baylor as D-line coach, sources tell
@SINow

How much did Dave Aranda want him? The 31-year-old's deal is expected to triple his old salary.

He's arriving in Waco tonight.

Aranda throwing together a pretty crew down in Waco. As long as he doesn’t add Chip and Joanna to his staff I would not be mad if they win the Big 12.

Larry Fedora. Good staff being assembled.
Fedora and Mike Gundy started their coaching careers together on staff at Baylor. That's the reason there has always been so much buzz around those names here.

After what we did to Fadora's N Carolina team in the bowl game a few years ago I hope he stays far, far away from the defense.

Aranda throwing together a pretty crew down in Waco. As long as he doesn’t add Chip and Joanna to his staff I would not be mad if they win the Big 12.
Chip and Joanna are too busy remodeling ARod and JLo's Malibu mansion (part of their new Magnolia TV Network) to worry about football.

VN Store

Back