Dave Aranda

Cool. LSU getting depleted. Wouldnt expect Orgeron to be competent enough to handle this type of turnover like Saban.
I would have said that a couple years ago, but he's already proven the ability to inherit a decrepit 1950s offense and a couple years later field one of the greatest offenses the sport has ever seen. They'll almost undoubtedly step back next year, something like 8-4/9-3 as you say seems reasonable.

His biggest challenge I don't think is necessarily replacing players - he's in Louisiana and he's always been a great recruiter. The biggest challenge is in replacing coaches.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
I'm not sure how I feel about this. That guy has improved defenses in every location he's been at.

I'll wait to see the staff he puts together, but this could be good for Baylor, bad for everyone else out here if he starts recruiting a competitive defense.

Has there ever been a less enjoyable national title week than this?....It's not even Friday and they've lost major underclassmen to the draft, their offensive wunderkind assistant, their highly respected (and paid) defensive coordinator and to top it off, they may get freakin' sanctions because a former player was dumb enough to give current players real money at said national championship game.

Geez.

Does the loss of a coordinator allow players out of their LOI? Just remember BJ Ojulari was considering coming here and now Aranda is gone and possibly some of Aranda's defensive staff at LSU. Would be nice if that door opened back up.

Reactions: distrovol
Has there ever been a less enjoyable national title week than this?....It's not even Friday and they've lost major underclassmen to the draft, their offensive wunderkind assistant, their highly respected (and paid) defensive coordinator and to top it off, they may get freakin' sanctions because a former player was dumb enough to give current players real money at said national championship game.

Geez.
It’s the price in return for Eddie O selling his soul to a voodoo demon at the crossroads this offseason in exchange to win a national title.

Hopefully Ed O talks then into a 100 million dollar contract. The buyout in 2022 after missing the SECC game two years in a row will be awesome. ;)

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Baylor just got better defensively, and goodness knows they needed to. It doesn't matter if you put 45 points on the scoreboard if your opponent put up 53. The whole Big 12 needs to understand that at some point you have to play a little defense to win championships.

Reactions: memtownvol
I would have said that a couple years ago, but he's already proven the ability to inherit a decrepit 1950s offense and a couple years later field one of the greatest offenses the sport has ever seen. They'll almost undoubtedly step back next year, something like 8-4/9-3 as you say seems reasonable.

His biggest challenge I don't think is necessarily replacing players - he's in Louisiana and he's always been a great recruiter. The biggest challenge is in replacing coaches.

Yes, the coaches are the key. Joe Burrow and that team were not that spectacular in 2018.

0037367-weoy-640x360.jpg

WACO, Texas – A 2020 National Champion and 24-year coaching veteran, Dave Aranda has been named the 28th head coach in Baylor Football history, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Mack B. Rhoades, IV, announced Thursday.

“Today is an exciting day for Baylor," Rhoades said. “Dave is a special person who loves football and his student-athletes, is highly intellectual, and is a great mission fit for both Baylor Athletics and the University at large.

Mack Rhoades has a decent track record of hiring football coaches. He hired Tom Herman at Houston, Barry Odom at Missouri, Matt Rhule and now Dave Aranda (Tom Hermon's college roommate) at Baylor.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. That guy has improved defenses in every location he's been at.

I'll wait to see the staff he puts together, but this could be good for Baylor, bad for everyone else out here if he starts recruiting a competitive defense.

All the interviewees had to have a plan for OC and DC for Mack Rhoades. It seems like Aranda already had a solid plan for the interview.

All the interviewees had to have a plan for OC and DC for Mack Rhoades. It seems like Aranda already had a solid plan for the interview.

Good luck getting Ludwig to stay there for more than 2 years. Bush will probably jump since he'll be following Aranda.

I'd hate to give an opponent good advice, but Aranda should be looking at Todd Monken as OC. He knows Big 12 ball and is a pretty good coach when he's not at Cleveland.

Or you're just good at cherry picking, just saying.

Cherry picking. LOL You make horrible calls and don't even fess up to it when confronted... for the record, I make bad calls from time to time... not sure about that bad though, but even as stupid as I am... I wouldn't double down when I was that ****ing wrong. Maybe you're just not very good at that.

On paper good hire...and it hurts one of our eventual opponents so I'll take it
We're tryin' to help out. Matt Rhule took Joe Brady to Carolina and Mack Rhoades just picked up Aranda and Bill Busch.

Now if only Aranda and Busch can bring some of that defensive talent with them. The portal is up and running.

Baylor just got better defensively, and goodness knows they needed to. It doesn't matter if you put 45 points on the scoreboard if your opponent put up 53. The whole Big 12 needs to understand that at some point you have to play a little defense to win championships.

Ummmm they only gave up 30 points three times this season..... once in double overtime and twice to Oklahoma.... They were also a top 20 defense based on points allowed.

Reactions: BUBear

VN Store

Back