Darrin Kirkland Transferring

Good for him. I would bet Kirkland lands on a team of a different conference but if he wants to go to a UF to take a loss to us, fine by me.

Since he is from Indianapolis he might consider IU or Purdue which is on an upswing.

Yall are the first to complain about the grad transfer from Alabama but someone who gave their all for UT when he was healthy and was a centerpiece of our flailing defense decides to do what is best for his career? Its, "see ya" "good he sucked anyway." He is a VFL!

Terrible first post. VFLs do not transfer, period

Reactions: 2 people
Very rarely do teams allow players to transfer to schools in their conference or on their schedule.

Grad transfer can go to any school. At least that has been current position of NCAA. I know it has to be appealed

I leave this place for a couple hours to actually do some work and it goes to hell. Good luck to him, but that really six.

:toast: I have mixed views on it. On the one hand I like to see the kids succeed. Sometimes it needs to be somewhere else. What I don't want to see happen is schools tampering with other schools' players.

I'm not saying UT has tampered. But, even though schools aren't allowed to have any contact with another school's players without permission of that school, Brandon Kennedy has somehow learned that he welcome at UT. Mystery.

Kennedy is a grad student correct? How exactly is it 'tampering' to talk with someone that has graduated and fulfilled his obligations?

If it quacks like a duck? Kirkland would be starting over with a coach that is the polar opposite of what he’s used to. And with his injury history, that leash is microscopic.

I think most are missing it, after injury history and coaching change, maybe Coach Did him a favor.

I don't like this. DKjr played really well against great competition, I know he had his injury issues but I don't see how he wouldn't be a good fit in any defense. The base D is a 3-4 but teams are in nickel almost all the time now

Too small for a MLBer in Pruitt's scheme. Scared he won't get playing time.

Rueben Foster 6'2 230
Rashan Evans 6'2" 232

The ILB are the quicker LBs in this scheme..

Darrin Kirkland is 6"1 240
And about 230 in prime shape.

This has to do with him being injured, the development of Q Sapp and JJ Peterson.

Kinda of what volquest article alluded to...who knows

The NCAA Bylaws (rules) allow football players who have received a bachelors degree and have remaining eligibility to transfer and play without having to sit out a year. There's also an NCAA provision that says if a player with a bachelor's degree is seeking to transfer because his current school does not offer his desired graduate degree program, then his current school cannot block him from playing for a school that does offer it. There is no NCAA rule that states a graduate can transfer and play anywhere they want without being subject to any of the transfer release restrictions they agreed to in their NLI agreement.

Last edited:
The NCAA Bylaws (rules) allow football players who have received a bachelors degree and have remaining eligibility to transfer and play without having to sit out a year. There's also an NCAA provision that says if a player with a bachelor's degree is seeking to transfer because his current school does not offer his desired graduate degree program, then his current school cannot block him from playing for a school that does offer it. There is no NCAA rule that states a graduate can transfer and play anywhere they want without being subject to any of the transfer release restrictions they agreed to in their NLI agreement.

Yet, in these situations the NCAA has sided with player’s choices and over ruled restrictions from schools. Their policy is one thing and their practice is another.
This is one of the few times the NCAA actually sides with players

:lol: I remember a lot of Vols fans being in a tantrum.

ETA: I just hope for Kirkland stays healthy and finds a good landing spot. For the sake of all the Vols fans that are pissed about UA blocking Kennedy, I hope Kirkland gets to start (or at least play a lot rotationally) on an SEC team that plays against UT.
Well considering how much time he spent on his back during run plays I'm with you. He was good in coverage and good at blitzing. However he was a liability in the run game. Most of his tackles were made 5 or 6 yards down field. Best of luck to him where ever he ends up.

Reactions: 1 person
I FIRMLY believe alot of Butch Jones recruited players were highly OVERRATED and SOFT. Why would you transfer after the team lost ALL SEC games last year and now a TOUGH coach comes in and the SOFT gets going......ala McKenzie, Kirkland, etc., and there will be a few more you watch.....

Amazing a kid that played his butt off here gets hate from grown men that are butt hurt he's leaving. Why can't you just wish the man well and look towards the future instead of acting like a sore loser and taking your ball home...

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back