Danny White hits back AGAIN

I've said it for years...ESPN has an agenda and Tennessee has never been a part of it
It’s not so much ESPN, but most of folks that work for ESPN. There are so many of them that different Vol teams have ripped their hearts out on the field and now they work for ESPN and can’t be professional when it comes to anything Vol related.

Other than that, “ESPN” loves the Vols and all the money the Vols make for them.

I've said it for years...ESPN has an agenda and Tennessee has never been a part of it
I'm no fan of ESPN, but come on, man. You can't tar the entire network and its tens of thousands of employees for what one Arkansas homer said.

For those who don't read the Baseball forum, and might not be aware of this incident:
  • The day before yesterday Tennessee's starting catcher, Evan Russell, got a serious case of the nerves and had to sit out the first game of the NCAA baseball playoffs
  • Because anxiety is not something a young man wants to be known for, his family, the coaches, and the team kept quiet about why he wasn't playing
  • Into that information void stepped an Arkansas fan troll, who tweeted out a fiction that Evan tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, that he was disqualified for the rest of the playoffs, and that the entire Tennessee team would be tested the next day
  • An ESPN game announcer, who not coincidentally is an Arkansas baseball alum, saw that tweet and reported its content as fact on national television during another playoffs game he was working
  • As a result of this slander, the family decided to let everyone know the real reason; at the same time, the team announced Evan would be back in for last night's game against Campbell
  • The ESPN announcer has since apologized, on air; though some think it sounded forced, Evan's father gracefully accepted the apology
  • The Arkansas troll who started it all gave as his defense: I'm a troll, no one should take me seriously, shame on them if they do ... in other words, he's a child
So there's the context for this latest Dan White tweet. It was a good tweet. And, like Evan's father, takes the high road.

Lessons to be learned from the incident:

(1) Don't troll. What we say and do in social media (including VN.com) can and sometimes does affect the lads and lasses who play for us. Be civil at all times.

(2) Be aware you're in an on-line information bubble, and try to break out of it. Because Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, and most other social media pay attention to what we watch and like, and feed more of the same kinds of content back to us, each of us tend only to hear opinions that agree with what we think. We lose exposure to other viewpoints, while ours is amplified and reverberated. This clearly happened to the Arkansas-alum ESPN announcer. He was following or was fed the Arkansas troll's tweet about Evan. And probably because he was thinking something along those lines in the back of his head anyway ("those Tennessee yokels are too good, they must be cheating somehow, wouldn't it be amazing if they were exposed for it..."), he believed the troll's tweet when he saw it. And repeated it on-air. Don't be that way. Realize the bubble you're in, and work to expose yourself to contrary viewpoints, for your own sanity and intelligence.

(3) At your best, take the high road. Evan and his family, in their Christian charity and good will, are an inspiration to all of us. We could learn from their example.

So no, this isn't all of ESPN. The announcer wasn't following a network agenda. He did it entirely on his own.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
It’s not so much ESPN, but most of folks that work for ESPN. There are so many of them that different Vol teams have ripped their hearts out on the field and now they work for ESPN and can’t be professional when it comes to anything Vol related.

Other than that, “ESPN” loves the Vols and all the money the Vols make for them.
Unpopular opinion but I think we as a fanbase have a bit of a victim mentality brought on by years of losing. They apologized and corrected their error. The parents of the athlete are moving on and so should we.

THE MAJOR SPORTS OUTLET SHOULD NOT BE BROADCASTING RUMORS. That is bad optics for ESPN. Shame on them. Evan Russell has some mental health issues and ESPN puts that kind of nonsense out there. Reckon maybe that might affect him even more?
Now you're spreading the same kinds of BS.

Evan had an attack of the nerves. To call that "some mental health issues," while perhaps technically accurate, is to way over-inflate the seriousness. The lad was a little embarrassed about having anxiety. You think he wouldn't be mortified to hear you or others describe it as "mental health issues" (plural, no less)?

Do you feel bad enough to apologize? You should.

Last edited:
This is the world we live in when it comes to the media, in general. The truth rarely enters into their thought processes. This example, while infuriating, is minor compared to stuff we see every day.

Unpopular opinion but I think we as a fanbase have a bit of a victim mentality brought on by years of losing. They apologized and corrected their error. The parents of the athlete are moving on and so should we.

You are right about there being a victim and it’s the fans of other teams that the Vols have victimized on the field over the years. I’m glad to hear that the announcers apologized for the incorrect rumors they speculated on during the broadcast of our regionals.

There used to be journalism standards that required at the minimum two separate sources being confirmed before an editor would allow a story be placed as a news item. Now journalism allows one newsroom make up an item out of thin air and then all other media gloms on based on the original lying newsroom and editors. They do this as "surely the other newsroom has two sources or wouldn't have placed it." The NYTimes has a Pulitzer and the winning reporter on staff today that won it based on a complete fabrication.

He had an attack of the nerves. To call that "some mental health issues," while perhaps technically accurate, is to way over-inflate the seriousness. The lad was a little embarrassed about having anxiety. You think he wouldn't be mortified to hear you or others describe it as "mental health issues" (plural, no less)?

Unless I misunderstood his Dad’s tweet, it wasn’t baseball related. It was the Lord dealing with him.

Reactions: vol94

Yep. Ecklund is an Arky homer and one of his Twitter followers @Mardis was trolling the Vols. Everyone that follows Hog baseball knows he puts out false info on other SEC schools all the time but the jealousy of the Vols great year made Ecklund want this to be true and he put it out there and even said the whole team will have to be tested the next day. Yep, we are getting back to the top when the HATE starts rearing its head.

The other side is the ESPN culture has really gone downhill as has the whole Disney franchise and they have hired accordingly. I watch games there most time with sound muted and sync up my radio broadcast.
for play by play, so basically they get no commercial ears from me that pays the bills.GBO

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Yep. Ecklund is an Arky homer and one of his Twitter followers @Mardis was trolling the Vols. Everyone that follows Hog baseball knows he puts out false info on other SEC schools all the time but the jealousy of the Vols great year made Ecklund want this to be true and he put it out there and even said the whole team will have to be tested the next day. Yep, we are getting back to the top when the HATE starts rearing its head.

The other side is the ESPN culture has really gone downhill as has the whole Disney franchise and they have hired accordingly. I watch games there most time with sound muted and sync up my radio broadcast.
for play by play, so basically they get no commercial ears from me that pays the bills.GBO
ESPN is a monopoly. Needs to be broken apart like the old AT&T. Way too much money and their influence determines what happens in college sports. By the way..Disney is done or it’s not the same as it was. The rich rat is dead along with his companions ABC and ESPN. Greed has destroyed this company. The comments made were malice and designed to hurt a college team by attempting to destroy a young man dealing with emotions. Thanks all folks!

Evan had an attack of the nerves. To call that "some mental health issues," while perhaps technically accurate, is to way over-inflate the seriousness. The lad was a little embarrassed about having anxiety. You think he wouldn't be mortified to hear you or others describe it as "mental health issues" (plural, no less)?

p.s. I do think Freak and his stable of moderators have a responsibility to edit or remove egregiously false or demeaning posts on VN.com.

No, VolNation isn't millions of people the way the major social media are, but within the microcosm of this community of online Tennessee fans, it is just as powerful...including potentially being just as powerful at spreading slanderous and hurtful untruths.

It is a thankless task. Far too many of us spout off without thinking, accept and pass on rumors, or speculate entirely outside of our own base of knowledge. On top of which, we're mostly not English majors, so don't always explain things well, leading to even more misunderstanding.

I am just as big a fan of the freedom of speech as anyone. To paraphrase Dr. Jordan Peterson, in order to be able to think through complex ideas together, we have to risk being offensive. But the key word in that sentence is "think." Too often we speak and share and pass things along without first thinking carefully. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. If what we say is wrong, or harmful, we should be prepared for consequences ranging from having our words edited or removed, to being punished.

Just my follow-on thoughts about how this all applies here in our little world of orange-and-white chat boards.

I don’t think Danny White went far enough tbh, he’s classier than I am I guess
I have a feeling he isn't done yet. ESPN may start playing a little nicer toward the VOLS, if not there could be some consequences (legally) for false reporting of this nature.

I'm no fan of ESPN, but come on, man. You can't tar the entire network and its tens of thousands of employees for what one Arkansas homer said.

For those who don't read the Baseball forum, and might not be aware of this incident:
  • The day before yesterday Tennessee's starting catcher, Evan Russell, got a serious case of the nerves and had to sit out the first game of the NCAA baseball playoffs
  • Because anxiety is not something a young man wants to be known for, his family, the coaches, and the team kept quiet about why he wasn't playing
  • Into that information void stepped an Arkansas fan troll, who tweeted out a fiction that Evan tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, that he was disqualified for the rest of the playoffs, and that the entire Tennessee team would be tested the next day
  • An ESPN game announcer, who not coincidentally is an Arkansas baseball alum, saw that tweet and reported its content as fact on national television during another playoffs game he was working
  • As a result of this slander, the family decided to let everyone know the real reason; at the same time, the team announced Evan would be back in for last night's game against Campbell
  • The ESPN announcer has since apologized, on air; though some think it sounded forced, Evan's father gracefully accepted the apology
  • The Arkansas troll who started it all gave as his defense: I'm a troll, no one should take me seriously, shame on them if they do ... in other words, he's a child
So there's the context for this latest Dan White tweet. It was a good tweet. And, like Evan's father, takes the high road.

(1) Don't troll. What we say and do in social media (including VN.com) can and sometimes does affect the lads and lasses who play for us. Be civil at all times.

(2) Be aware you're in an on-line information bubble, and try to break out of it. Because Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, and most other social media pay attention to what we watch and like, and feed more of the same kinds of content back to us, each of us tend only to hear opinions that agree with what we think. We lose exposure to other viewpoints, while ours is amplified and reverberated. This clearly happened to the Arkansas-alum ESPN announcer. He was following or was fed the Arkansas troll's tweet about Evan. And probably because he was thinking something along those lines in the back of his head anyway ("those Tennessee yokels are too good, they must be cheating somehow, wouldn't it be amazing if they were exposed for it..."), he believed the troll's tweet when he saw it. And repeated it on-air. Don't be that way. Realize the bubble you're in, and work to expose yourself to contrary viewpoints, for your own sanity and intelligence.

(3) At your best, take the high road. Evan and his family, in their Christian charity and good will, are an inspiration to all of us. We could learn from their example.

So no, this isn't all of ESPN. The announcer wasn't following a network agenda. He did it entirely on his own.

Go Vols!

Thank you for that “inside baseball” context that helps elucidate the matter for those of us who do not follow that sport so closely but cheer on our Vols nonetheless.

But yes it is great to see our AD pushing back (appropriately) for big 🍊. I am sure that ALL our teams take notice.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Go Vols!
Trolling is like arson. Someone makes a inflammatory remark in the express hope that it will "catch fire" and go viral, just so they can watch it "burn" and get their rocks off...

What an absolutely pathetic activity. IMO, people that do this are decaying, rotten pieces of sh!t..

Go Vols!

As the saying goes, "If the shoe fits, wear it"!

Go Vols!
I agree with everything you say.....one exception, each Broadcast has a producer and staff that clears information. So that information that entered the booth had to be cleared. Broadcasters have to run this through the booth to address it.

The question is did the Broadcaster go rouge or was it cleared by the Producer broadcast staff prior to release?

My thoughts are it was cleared and meant to be a joke that went sideways....All the broadcaster had to say was twitter Rumor from a troll but he didn't because it was typed up and appeared to be official....

Somebody on the Production Staff did this with intent.

That is the issue with ESPN staff and the procedures used to get it on the air....

In Other words, Eklund was handed this tweet in a different format and broadcasted it as stated.....ESPN knows this and that is their concern. This is Malicious Intent.

Last edited:

The obsessive anti-Tennessee rhetoric, emanating from the Arkansas fan base over the last 3 months, is an inescapable part of this story, and Troy Eklund running with information from an unsubstantiated tweet was highly unprofessional.

Arkansas baseball has a red a$$ for Tennessee. This used to be somewhat flattering, but now, it has reached creepy stalker-level.

My thoughts are it was cleared and meant to be a joke that went sideways....All the broadcaster had to say was twitter Rumor from a troll but he didn't because it was typed up and appeared to be official....
I have a hard time seeing it that way. It's too much of a coincidence that the tweet came from an admitted Arkansas fan/troll, while Troy Eklund is a former Arkansas player. Eklund knew that information came from a fan's tweet.

.... and how could this have ever been funny? Listen to the reaction of the play-by-play man. He understands right away, that Eklund has overstepped his bounds.

VN Store

Back