Danny Shultz.. rip, May have been best Tennessee shooter ever

SPRINGHILLVOL

Tennessee basketball letterman and 1964 All-American Danny Schultz passed away Saturday at the age of 79.

A star guard for the Volunteers under head coach Ray Mears from 1962-64, Schultz posted a career scoring average of 17.2 points over 45 games. He was the first Vol during the Mears era to earn All-America acclaim, garnering second-team honors from Converse in 1964.

During that 1963-64 campaign, Schultz shot a career-best .473 from the field and .894 (101 of 113) from the free-throw line.

The previous season, Schultz authored a streak of 39 consecutive made free throws—a mark that still stands as a program record.

Schultz was a two-time first-team All-SEC selection and led the conference in free-throw percentage in both of his seasons at Tennessee.

A native of Middlesboro, Kentucky, who transferred to UT from Hiwassee College, Schultz was selected by the Baltimore Bullets in the eighth round of the 1964 NBA Draft. Per UT ATHLETICS DEPT

Last edited:
Bill Justus tips his hat to his predecessor, Danny Schultz. Bill knew a thing or two about making free throws, also.
Yes, Bill did. But still, I shot a higher FT %, at Fulton than Mr. Justus. Of course, you have to throw out the minimum attempts rule. 2 for 2, 100% will never be broken. Makes me chuckle

Yes, 2 for 2's place in the record books is secure.
You gotta like a guy that brags while also making fun of himself. But, seriously, Justus was automatic. Seems like FT% has gone down as 3 point % has gone up in the last 50 years

Reactions: HeadVol77
Yes, Bill did. But still, I shot a higher FT %, at Fulton than Mr. Justus. Of course, you have to throw out the minimum attempts rule. 2 for 2, 100% will never be broken. Makes me chuckle

At the Ray Mears Basketball School, Danny Schultz’s picture was on the t-shirts. Billy Justus taught free throw shooting.

Tennessee basketball letterman and 1964 All-American Danny Schultz passed away Saturday at the age of 79.

A star guard for the Volunteers under head coach Ray Mears from 1962-64, Schultz posted a career scoring average of 17.2 points over 45 games. He was the first Vol during the Mears era to earn All-America acclaim, garnering second-team honors from Converse in 1964.

During that 1963-64 campaign, Schultz shot a career-best .473 from the field and .894 (101 of 113) from the free-throw line.

The previous season, Schultz authored a streak of 39 consecutive made free throws—a mark that still stands as a program record.

Schultz was a two-time first-team All-SEC selection and led the conference in free-throw percentage in both of his seasons at Tennessee.

A native of Middlesboro, Kentucky, who transferred to UT from Hiwassee College, Schultz was selected by the Baltimore Bullets in the eighth round of the 1964 NBA Draft. Per UT ATHLETICS DEPT
I remember when Tennessee was playing Duke. I was living in Atlanta and couldn’t pickup the game from a Tennessee station and had to listen to game from a Duke station. The Duke announcer was really frustrated because Schultz was hitting everything he shot and Tennessee was winning in the second half. The Duke gay said “ it looks like Schultz against the World and Schultz is winning.

I can still picture in my mind Bill Justus' free throw routine. Bent over with one foot forward. Dribble the ball firmly several times with both hands. Rock forward three times on his lead foot. Then straighten up and shoot the ball.

Right foot (for righties) toes the FTL. Exactly 3 dribbles. Index and middle finger make a shooting “fork”. Deep breath. Bend at the knees. Aim for the front of the rim. With the ball rotation, made shots will bounce back to the shooter.

I remember when Tennessee was playing Duke. I was living in Atlanta and couldn’t pickup the game from a Tennessee station and had to listen to game from a Duke station. The Duke announcer was really frustrated because Schultz was hitting everything he shot and Tennessee was winning in the second half. The Duke gay said “ it looks like Schultz against the World and Schultz is winning.
Just cause it’s pride month doesn’t mean that’s appropriate. (I’m just giving you a hard time.)

I graduated from Hiwassee College in 1986 and he was one of the most famous alumni of Hiwassee.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I was able to see Shultz play in Nashville at Memorial Gym and he was a terrific player.He could shoot with the best and a facet of his game I don't think many will recall was his masterful use of the pivot foot.He could spin the defender in a circle and get off a good shot just using the pivot foot.RIP Danny !

I was able to see Shultz play in Nashville at Memorial Gym and he was a terrific player.He could shoot with the best and a facet of his game I don't think many will recall was his masterful use of the pivot foot.He could spin the defender in a circle and get off a good shot just using the pivot foot.RIP Danny !

Seems like I can remember either a black and white broadcast or one of those late nite replays of one of his games at Vandy. Skinner coached, right? He was there a while and for sure was there when I was attending Belmont down the street.. Not many televised games back in the day. Some real battles back in the day when Vandy had Clyde Lee. Memories are going away as I age, but those are still with me.

"

Ah the BULLETS . Another great nickname gone by the way of "Political Correctness" BS.

VN Store

Back