Dan Mullen

Comparing any other school's roster with UT by just looking at the star ratings of the recruits does not tell the whole picture. Butch had a high attrition rate from medical retirements and transfers that you miss by just looking at it like that. The number of offensive linemen lost is staggering.

Comparing any other school's roster with UT by just looking at the star ratings of the recruits does not tell the whole picture. Butch had a high attrition rate from medical retirements and transfers that you miss by just looking at it like that. The number of offensive linemen lost is staggering.
Yup.

I remember how everyone was disappointed that we were going after Dan Mullen as our next head coach because this would have been a "boring hire". Well, imagine where we would be now if we actually were able to hire Dan Mullen?
Mullen would have struggled here with our roster. Mullen is a good coach IMO but Pruitt has now proven he is also a good one.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
He’s just as dorky as Butch Jones but he’s a way better coach.
And like I said, I don't care if he goes to games with Coke bottle glasses on and jeans pulled up to his nipples like Steve Urkel... He's a great coach and, and he's going to be winning at a high level in Gainesville for a long time.

Reactions: Credo
2 straight 10 win seasons, doing well thus far, if he can get one extra ace recruiter, that would help out

And like I said, I don't care if he goes to games with Coke bottle glasses on and jeans pulled up to his nipples like Steve Urkel... He's a great coach and, and he's going to be winning at a high level in Gainesville for a long time.

I’m not so sure.
Florida has a pretty high standard.
He could be at Tennessee for a long time but it’s different at Florida. If he doesn’t make the championship game in the next 2 years his seat will start getting hot. If the unthinkable happened and they came in 2nd in the east to Tennessee.........

That’s actually a fake quote. These fake quotes have really taken off, one of the real downsides to Twitter. And not just against Mullen, I’ve seen them against Saban and Kirby Smart and I’m sure others.

I watched Mullen’s entire ESD press conference and this quote was never uttered. That press conference is available on YouTube for anyone to see.

So you admit he's not a good recruiter. I think that's the whole point.

I don’t admit that at all. Mullen’s class is currently ranked 7th on Rivals. How’s that not good with 5 more weeks to go?! Florida had a disappointing early signing day because they whiffed on a few guys they were trying to flip, but this isn’t at all a disappointing class so far. They’ll pick up 3 or 4 more between now and NSD in February and will likely finish somewhere between 5 and 9 in the final rankings. And that will be back-to-back top 8 classes for Mullen. Then you add in what Florida is doing from a facilities standpoint, led by Mullen, and that will only help.

Sometimes UF’s rival fans really compliment Florida when they’re not meaning to. Recruiting is a great example. Only at Florida can two top 8 recruiting classes be classified as “failures” when there are 100+ other schools who would love to trade classes. Only at Florida can fans of a team with a ranking below Florida, actually criticize Florida even though UF’s in front of their own team. Apparently Mullen will be criticized in recruiting until he’s had multiple years in the top three or something (which is coming).

And don’t get me started on the transfer portal as that’s a whole other modern day level of recruiting, and arguably Dan Mullen is the best in the country at landing great players from the portal. Mullen is ahead of the game in this phase of recruiting. Can anyone name a better group of transfer players than this? Van Jefferson - UF’s leading WR last two seasons. Tre Grimes - former 5* and productive WR. Jean Delance - starting RT entire season. Marlon Dunlap - producer on DL. Adam Shuler - two year starter at DT. Brenton Cox - former 5* DE/OLB. Jon Greenard - all-SEC, all-American (cbs) DE. Even the punter, Townsend, came from the portal.

Hang your hat on calling Mullen a bad recruiter while he’s ranked well inside the top 10 if you want, but you’re living a lie. He’s added great players through recruiting and the portal during his 2 years at UF. Would I like to be at #1 in the rankings right now, absolutely. And would I prefer Mullen never miss on a 5*Florida kid like Demarckus Bowman, yes. But am I pleased with Mullen’s overall roster management? Absolutely!

Reactions: mcg8r and Credo
If he did leave for Dallas who would you want to be the next Florida head football coach? If that happens Florida should hire Liberty head football coach Hugh Freeze.

Not going to happen, but if it did, the first person I would interview is LSU’s OC Joe Brady. The keys to Florida are awfully big for a man in his early 30’s with no previous head coaching experience, but that young man created an offense for the ages at LSU in one offseason. Amazing, really.

I also like Josh McDaniels, the long time Patriots OC.

VN Store

Back