Dan Mullen

He was the #1 candidate. Chose UF over UT.
Difference in the game was the mistakes made by Aub freshman QB. It wasn’t great coaching by either team

No question offensive mistakes on both teams, but Granthams coaching of the Defense was near perfect. Called a fantastic game. The only reason Auburn scored was due to the offense turning it over in their own field.

I remember how everyone was disappointed that we were going after Dan Mullen as our next head coach because this would have been a "boring hire". Well, imagine where we would be now if we actually were able to hire Dan Mullen?

WE could have had several coaches, Mullen and Miles were two names that were very interested in the job. But Currie wanted Schiano and basically dragged his feet/went through the motions so it looked like he was doing his due diligence before going for Schiano. I believe there is evidence that he had Schiano ready from before we even fired Butch.

Basically, Schiano was the only name on Currie's list, there was never anyone else despite what he told to the board.

Reactions: sport3500
I'm not so sure there would be a huge difference. We were a rebuild all along where Florida has a lot more talent and depth.

IDK, Guarantano = Franks in 2017 and Franks got noticeably better and Guarantano did not.

I really don’t think that we would be that much better. While he inherited a mess it was a much more stable mess than the one Pruitt inherited

Would have beaten Ga state, byu and would Have been close with fla. You can’t tell me Ut doesn’t have a better roster then miss st.
He would have had JG playing at a higher level, he made Fitz a all Sec qb

I'm not so sure there would be a huge difference. We were a rebuild all along where Florida has a lot more talent and depth.
They actually don't have more talent, at least if you believe 247. Someone in the FF took the average star rating of Florida and Tennessee's entire roster before this season and calculated the average star rating to be something like 0.02 or 0.03 points off of each other.

The biggest difference between Florida and Tennessee's rosters is that Tennessee has a bunch of upperclassmen that are mentally scarred/soft whereas Florida has some upperclassmen who remember winning the East in 2016.

WE could have had several coaches, Mullen and Miles were two names that were very interested in the job. But Currie wanted Schiano and basically dragged his feet/went through the motions so it looked like he was doing his due diligence before going for Schiano. I believe there is evidence that he had Schiano ready from before we even fired Butch.

Basically, Schiano was the only name on Currie's list, there was never anyone else despite what he told to the board.
I've thought this all along. Currie "had to" pursue Mullen because he was the best combination of best option available + someone we actually could land. Once the Florida job opened up though, I think everybody knew he wouldn't come here. I think too much is made of Currie waiting to fire Butch while Florida pulled the trigger on McElwain before we even fired Butch. We could have gotten a head start working on Mullen if Currie acted sooner, but the Florida job was going to open up regardless. As soon as it opened up, even if Currie had been talking to him previously, I think Mullen was going there. The order of events didn't matter that much.

I think the texts and emails that came out pretty much bear that out. If not Mullen, then Currie was going straight to Schiano. Currie conducted an actual coaching search only after the Schiano deal fell through.

I've thought this all along. Currie "had to" pursue Mullen because he was the best combination of best option available + someone we actually could land. Once the Florida job opened up though, I think everybody knew he wouldn't come here. I think too much is made of Currie waiting to fire Butch while Florida pulled the trigger on McElwain before we even fired Butch. We could have gotten a head start working on Mullen if Currie acted sooner, but the Florida job was going to open up regardless. As soon as it opened up, even if Currie had been talking to him previously, I think Mullen was going there. The order of events didn't matter that much.

I think the texts and emails that came out pretty much bear that out. If not Mullen, then Currie was going straight to Schiano. Currie conducted an actual coaching search only after the Schiano deal fell through.

McElwain pretty much forced himself out though. Accusing fans of sending death threats in e-mails was a guy that was drowning in the pressure of the job. It turned out to be a great gift in that it let Florida get in touch with some early candidates and still engage Mullen. Mark Richt did get the royal shaft because Georgia knew who they wanted to replace him. And still, be able to beat SC to the punch. Great timing and HCs probably should never be separated in a sentence. And now with early signing day, it pretty much guarantees that the early bird will get the worm.

Reactions: 05_never_again
They actually don't have more talent, at least if you believe 247. Someone in the FF took the average star rating of Florida and Tennessee's entire roster before this season and calculated the average star rating to be something like 0.02 or 0.03 points off of each other.

The biggest difference between Florida and Tennessee's rosters is that Tennessee has a bunch of upperclassmen that are mentally scarred/soft whereas Florida has some upperclassmen who remember winning the East in 2016.

This. This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about this place. There were actually threads made about why we would beat UF because we actually had as much talent as UF. Then we lose to GSU and BYU and suddenly Pruitt inherited a mess that no one was talking about 4 weeks earlier.

From what I’ve read, Currie was speaking to Schiano about the coaching job even before Butch was hired.

that’s some bs that Florida upperclassmen who remember winning the east. When Dan took over, UF had the worst SC program in D1 football where there was no regiment to follow and some players worked out in outside gyms because it was disorganized and a mess. The players weren’t held accountable for any workouts. Dan had to change the culture and get it right. Remember all of the arrests and how uf was a dumpster fire? Somehow all that was forgotten. History revisionist forget all that.

It’s just excuses UT fans use to justify Pruitt not doing his job.
Why couldn’t Pruitt fix the mess he inherited?
The rosters between UF and Tenn aren’t that much different and I am sure If dan was at UT, you guys wouldn’t this bad.

Reactions: imjustaguest2
that’s some bs that Florida upperclassmen who remember winning the east. When Dan took over, UF had the worst SC program in D1 football where there was no regiment to follow and some players worked out in outside gyms because it was disorganized and a mess. The players weren’t held accountable for any workouts. Dan had to change the culture and get it right. Remember all of the arrests and how uf was a dumpster fire? Somehow all that was forgotten. History revisionist forget all that.

The rosters between UF and Tenn aren’t that much different and I am sure If dan was at UT, you guys wouldn’t this bad.

Pruitt isn’t the guy imo.
To suggest that Tennessee and Florida were in the same spot is moronic at worst and disingenuous at best.

Just look at how many freshmen are playing at each place for a clue.

Roster wise, Florida was never a mess. McElwain just had completely lost control of the locker room.

Agreed. The mess was with leadership. People forget that the team had won the East twice just prior to Mullen taking over

This. This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy about this place. There were actually threads made about why we would beat UF because we actually had as much talent as UF. Then we lose to GSU and BYU and suddenly Pruitt inherited a mess that no one was talking about 4 weeks earlier.
Both statements are true. Pruitt did inherit a mess, but the mess isn't that we have far less talent that Florida.

Among teams we play every year, we have far less talent than only Georgia and Alabama. We have very comparable talent to Florida, and more talent than everyone else. "Lack of talent" explains why we can't compete with upper echelon SEC teams; it doesn't explain why we've lost 5 of the last 7 years to Vandy and can't consistently beat South Carolina and Mizzou.

I don't think you've heard about Butch's S&C "program."

Ours was worse...much worse.

Unless they were feeding them potato chips, pounds of chocolate, and liters of Coke a day, while encouraging them not to workout at all and take up smoking, I'm not sure that's possible.

And I'm not saying UFs wasnt bad, but I have first hand knowledge of what UTs was under Jones.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back