Dalton Named First Team All-American- Sporting News

Time for a Retire Jersey Committee meeting….

A student-athlete will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:
  • SEC Player of the Year
  • National Award (Player of the Year, Sullivan, or similar honor)
  • First-Team All-American
  • Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
  • National championship during tenure
  • There is a nominating committee that will determine when an individual will be honored with a retired jersey, and any member of the committee can bring a nomination. The composition of that committee includes the Faculty Athletics Representative, Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics, the sport administrator of the selected sport, the media relations contact for selected sport or the associate athletics director/communications (or designee), and the senior woman administrator.

A student-athlete will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:
  • SEC Player of the Year
  • Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
  • There is a nominating committee that will determine when an individual will be honored with a retired jersey, and any member of the committee can bring a nomination. The composition of that committee includes the Faculty Athletics Representative, Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics, the sport administrator of the selected sport, the media relations contact for selected sport or the associate athletics director/communications (or designee), and the senior woman administrator.

What career record does he hold?

• SEC Player of the Year

He will definitely win at least a few National awards

What career record does he hold?
Depends on how they define it…here are some impressive accomplishments

Knecht is the first player in Tennessee history with four 35-point performances in SEC play in a single season

Knecht has scored 35-plus points five times in 2023-24, including in four of the past 16 games. The only other Tennessee player ever to record five 35-point games in a single season is Ernie Grunfeld, who did so in 1975-76.

There might be others my point is I think he had some impressive accomplishments other than awards that could fall into that category depending on how they define it.

I don’t think the number 3 should be retired on account of him…but I do think his name should go in the rafters in some form or fashion, especially if we make a run to the E8 or beyond.

I don't like the idea of retiring numbers for anyone. If basketball is played for enough years, eventually there will be no numbers left. Hang their jersey in the rafters. But continue to use all numbers.

Reactions: LibertyVol
Retired jerseys doesn't mean that number can never be worn again. Lofton allowed ZZ to wear 5.

I don't like the idea of retiring numbers for anyone. If basketball is played for enough years, eventually there will be no numbers left. Hang their jersey in the rafters. But continue to use all numbers.
Yeah it’s a shame numbers are finite

I’d hate to see us start using irrational numbers. Too many players with “i”, and there is no “i” in team

🤪🙃

Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back