Dalton Knecht's place in UT history

If Dalton Knecht maintains his current scoring average of 20.8 ppg over the next 3 games plus any combination of 4 in the post-season, he'll reach 728 points. This would surpass Dale Ellis for 2nd place on the all-time season scoring chart, right below Allan Houston at 806. Since the team will likely accomplish far more than any of Houston's teams, this would arguably be the greatest single season by a single player in UT history. It's only been one season, but I would say, depending on what this team accomplishes, this would cement DK's legacy as one of the greatest VFLs of all time. Thoughts?
Not only in Dalton leading the SEC in scoring.... he is the ONLY player in the country that is in the Top 30 of ppg that averages under 30 minutes playing time per game at 29.6.
Also, if Dalton can just move the needle ONE point in scoring average in the next few games...... he will jump to the Top 5 in scoring in the country. This is VERY possible.

And he he does that he will have accomplished that by playing less minutes per game than anyone else on the list. Truly phenomenal season!

Reactions: walkenvol
Seriously, how do you guard this guy:

3id8oahbbmlc1.jpeg

This discussion is exactly why I stay clear of THE BEST OF ALL TIME comparisons. People using different stats to prove their point and moving the proverbial goal post. CLEARLY BK and all the others were great players. Today…it’s a very different game. DK CLEARLY is one of the best currently playing the game. Let’s just enjoy it…hope we have a great run deep into the tournament (that would be something none of these other great ever did) and possibly hang a banner or two in TBA along with a jersey! JMO

If Dalton Knecht maintains his current scoring average of 20.8 ppg over the next 3 games plus any combination of 4 in the post-season, he'll reach 728 points. This would surpass Dale Ellis for 2nd place on the all-time season scoring chart, right below Allan Houston at 806. Since the team will likely accomplish far more than any of Houston's teams, this would arguably be the greatest single season by a single player in UT history. It's only been one season, but I would say, depending on what this team accomplishes, this would cement DK's legacy as one of the greatest VFLs of all time. Thoughts?
If we go to the final four he’s the greatest player in program history. Period. Argue with the wall (not you OP, but anyone who disagrees). ;)

You obviously never watched BK play. There has been nobody better in the SEC and I absolutely include Pistol Pete.
I did and King never impacted a game like Dalton did against Auburn. King was good but he had Grunfield always on the outside. Dalton went outside, inside, and in the middle to beat any defense Bruce threw at him.

Neither Lofton nor Houston are in the King category. Or Dale Ellis category

Yep, JMO, which doesn't mean much, but I'd have to put King at the top with Dale Ellis 2nd. And, I'd probably put Ernie G third. Much like Knecht, he score at all 3 levels, at the rim, mid-range jumpers, and the outside shot.

I did and King never impacted a game like Dalton did against Auburn. King was good but he had Grunfield always on the outside. Dalton went outside, inside, and in the middle to beat any defense Bruce threw at him.

King impacted every game he played in. 26/13 career ppg/rpg without a shot clock or 3PL. 59% career shooting percentage. Also the best defender on the court.

Knecht is a great scorer. King is the GOAT.

So King, Grunfeld, Houston, Slay, White etc all are a step below a guy like Lofton due to his teams NCAAT success verse those guys lack of?
Knecht is a one year rental. Apples to oranges...pun intended. Different circumstances to my way of thinking.

King impacted every game he played in. 26/13 career ppg/rpg without a shot clock or 3PL. 59% career shooting percentage. Also the best defender on the court.

Knecht is a great scorer. King is the GOAT.
Best defender on the court, best rebounder on the court, and best scorer on the court. And a pretty damn good passer..........

Reactions: Vols All Day
I don't know where he stands in history but I have been watching the Vols basketball since 1960. I don't ever remember a situation where in a top 20 game they threw a player the ball, spread the court on every possession and the defense could not stop the player from scoring. I feel privileged that I got to enjoy it.

Reactions: HighWaterVol
It’s probably been said before so ssiap, but I was astonished even to be unable to find a write up of the young man’s performance against Auburn anywhere on the ESPN men’s BB page. I mean 39 points and that on fire streak of 9/10 shooting.
Good point. However, they did have a good write up on Filipowski leading Duke to a rout of Louisville :rolleyes:.

If we go to the final four, he’s the first face.
Respectfully disagree. Ray Mears is the first face already and King is etched too. If you were around for the Mears effect, you should know. Mears coined "Big Orange Country". Saturday Night in Stokley was a thing. Mears showed unbelievable flexibility in his coaching style. He and Stu Aberdeen were great recruiters. Mears played 7 guys in the rotation. Maybe 8 when they got in foul trouble. Nothing like the Big Orange coming out with their striped warmup pants and doing a modified Globetrotter routine, with Pride of the Southland playing the jazzzzz.

Edit: If we win it all with Knecht going off and getting MOP, he's in stone

King at 25 PPG for 3 seasons will always be the best; Don.t forget Ernie Grunfeld Ernie at 22 PPG for 4 seasons. If Dalton Knecht leads the Vols to a final four game he will be 3rd; if they get bumped before the sweet 16 he will always be a 1 year wonder & relegated to top ten status. If he quit & went home today I would I would vote to hang his jersey in the rafters as he will always be one of the best players to play for the Vols.
I went to my first Vol basketball game in 1969 & Dalton has the ability to take over a game as good as any player as I have seen !!!

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

VN Store

Back