DADGUMMITT

I actually think it's a neat idea as long as it's a one time deal. The prime time exposure will be great. Usually games like this aren't even a blip on the radar.

I do not trust ESPN. There HAS to be some reason they want to show our season opener. They probably think (hoping anyway) we are going to lose to UNLV.

I guess what bothers me, childish though I admit it is, ESPN can drag us through the mud, hype other team's players to where ours loses the Heisman, give Linda-Bensel Myers more than her 15 minutes of fame so she can trash our university, but let them come around with a TV offer and it's amazing how quickly all is forgotten. If I was the AD at UT, ESPN wouldn't get within a mile of my campus. I'd work out a deal with CBS that gave them exclusive coverage and ESPN could kiss it! :moon2:

That stuff is over, and ESPN has the best college football coverage of any of the networks. Honestly, I'd rather UT be on ESPN on Saturday night than anywhere else.

As much as I hate ESPN sometimes I have to agree with orangetd88. They are the sports leader and we all would be pissed if they refused to carry any of our games.

since i live in missouri and all they basically show here is big 12 games, i am happy for anytime i get to see my vols, whether they are on espn :espn: or cbs.

hey freak...you need an emoticon that says "go to hell corso"

Letter from Mike Hamilton

Dear friends,

Earlier today we announced that we are partnering with the city of Knoxville to create a weekend-long celebration this Labor Day. The city's annual Boomsday extravaganza will kick the weekend off on Saturday, Sept. 4, with more than 300,000 people expected to attend. On Sunday, Sept. 5, we will host UNLV in our season opener before a national audience on ESPN2 beginning at 8 p.m. EST. We believe this is a great opportunity for both the city and the university.

A lot of thought went into this decision. In the end, we felt like this was the best decision for the city of Knoxville, our program and our fans.

In response to our fans concerns about the game time temperature at last year's season opener, we wanted a night game to ensure our fans did not have to sit out in sweltering temperatures. The only other opportunity we had for a televised game without going to pay-per-view was a mid-afternoon kickoff on Saturday.

A few months ago we announced plans for a Football Lettermen Reunion Weekend at the UNLV game. More than 300 football players are expected to attend the game. In honor of their football predecessors, our current players will don retro game jerseys from the early 1970s. With no NFL or college football games in the Sunday night time slot, this is a great way to honor the tradition of Tennessee football in the national spotlight as we pay tribute to the great players that laid the foundation for our program.

I understand that a Sunday game does have a couple of disadvantages, the first being that many of our fans have religious services on Sunday. I hope that the 8 p.m. kickoff will minimize the impact on those services. I also know that many of you have made travel plans, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for your continued support of Tennessee athletics.
Go Vols!

Mike Hamilton
Athletic Director

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@May 12, 2004 10:23 PM
Well, I DO mind, but bow to the general consensus.

:bow:

Sheep. :p

Originally posted by vol_freak+May 12, 2004 9:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ May 12, 2004 9:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange@May 12, 2004 10:23 PM

Sheep. :p [/quote]
What&#39;s THAT supposed to mean??? :biteme:

Originally posted by LadyinOrange+May 12, 2004 11:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LadyinOrange @ May 12, 2004 11:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by vol_freak@May 12, 2004 9:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange
@May 12, 2004 10:23 PM

Sheep. :p

What&#39;s THAT supposed to mean??? :biteme: [/quote]
Just kidding..... :peace2:

Originally posted by vol_freak+May 12, 2004 9:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ May 12, 2004 9:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LadyinOrange@May 12, 2004 10:23 PM

Sheep. :p [/quote]
BAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

:lol:

I like it. There&#39;s nothing else for recruits to be doing on a Sunday night other than soaking in the night game atmosphere in Neyland in a primetime slot. I luvs me some night games - I may have to get my butt off of the couch and go to that one&#33;
That in no way endorses ESPN, but I don&#39;t mind using them as a vehicle to sell our team.

Whoa.... I can&#39;t find the ESPN sucks smilie I&#39;m seeing in the above posts. It&#39;s badly needed now...

Originally posted by Gatorhater@May 14, 2004 10:09 PM
I like it. There&#39;s nothing else for recruits to be doing on a Sunday night other than soaking in the night game atmosphere in Neyland in a primetime slot. I luvs me some night games - I may have to get my butt off of the couch and go to that one&#33;
That in no way endorses ESPN, but I don&#39;t mind using them as a vehicle to sell our team.

Whoa.... I can&#39;t find the ESPN sucks smilie I&#39;m seeing in the above posts. It&#39;s badly needed now...

You have to click on "show all&#39; at the bottom of the smiley&#39;s list.

Ahhh come on its on the Sunday after BOOMSDAY&#33; You get fireworks on Saturday and football on Sunday&#33; Sounds pretty cool to me. B)

I don&#39;t care. I&#39;m still mad. Sunday nights are for CHURCH and Saturdays are for FOOTBALL.

Now y&#39;all leave me alone.

;)

:D

:lol:

As long as the Vols are playing, it will be a great weekend regardless.

Leave it to you to make a statement I have to "come down from my high horse" to agree with. But you&#39;re right. If I have to tape the game, so be it. I DID drop a hint to my associate pastor, however, about how nice an afternoon service would be on LAbor Day weekend.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@May 20, 2004 9:56 PM
Leave it to you to make a statement I have to "come down from my high horse" to agree with. But you&#39;re right. If I have to tape the game, so be it. I DID drop a hint to my associate pastor, however, about how nice an afternoon service would be on LAbor Day weekend.

:rolleyes:

Now you&#39;re talkin.

VN Store

Back