Dabo Swiney: Bold calls in crucial times define a coach !!

I think this season we'll get to see Butch's killer instinct in action as never before.

I think we will se butch do what he thinks will win football games. There is a difference in going on 4th down at different times in a football game and the circumstances. Tennessee’s Oline has not yet proven they can gain one two yards against defenses. Clemson had a very goo Line which has demonstrated that it can pick up one-two yards. I think the new S&C coach will have the Oline strong enough to do that next Fall. So, I think the killer instinct will show when the killers are capable of killing. The S&C hurt the team on both the O and D lines.

Before that play, they were 3-3 on scoring TDs in the Red Zone in the game. They were 3-4 in the Red Zone against OSU in the semifinal. They were 5-5 in the Red Zone against VT in the ACC Championship.

It is a lot easier for a coach to play for a TD and the win in that situation when you've scored a TD 11 of the last 12 times you've been in the Red Zone against a conference championship game opponent and the #3 and #1 teams in the country.

Would Butch have made the same call? You can say no, based on what you saw from UT this year. But if UT is in that situation with the success inside the 20 that Clemson has, I think he would.

BJ definitely would try to win the game given the past results. Any coach would.

Dabo's not a great coach and often mismanages the clock as poorly as Butch.

What Dabo does is recruit like a machine and hire great assistants. And he still almost blew it this season with NC State missing a 33 yard field goal at the end of regulation to go to overtime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but he's much better in the recruit's living room than he is on game day.

I'd guess that it has more to do with the assistants that he can bring in because we've seen that Butch can recruit at a high level when he has something to sell. I don't think that Clemson can outspend UTK so I assume that hiring ability is based on personality, reputation, and prospects for longevity.

Reactions: 1 person
he was smart enough to take boyd after lane kiffin told him to take a hike. He was smart enough to see what a high 4 star lb that tons of schools wanted in boulware could become. He was smart enough to win his division for the first time ever in his year 1 when there was no competition. I don't think dabo is the next saban.

fyp

All Coaches make good and bad play calls. Saban decision to kick the 57 yard field goal in the "kick 6" iron bowl a few years ago cost him the game as it got returned 109 yards by auburn for a td.

Funny how he spent his first 3 or 4 years "Clemsoning" and losing to SC, but now he's a bold genius. #sportsnarratives

Yea and I bet 99% of Clemson fans were screaming for him to take a timeout.
Nothing special here, he went for it with a pick play and was lucky it wasn't called and was lucky it was caught.

Last edited:
What's funny about this whole thing is that Dabo went for the onside to end the game out with 1 second on the clock after they scored to take the lead.

Dabo clearly didn't realize that if the ball is downed on the kickoff (which is what almost always happpens on an onside) then no time is taken off the clock, meaning if Bama had recovered they would have gotten a chance to throw the ball to the end zone from 40 yards always. Dabo should have had his kicker kick the ball out of bounds, giving Bama 1 second to run a play from 60 yards away.

Had Bama recovered the ball on the onside, and won on the manageable 40-yard pass to the end zone, Dabo is suddenly the dumbest coach to ever wear the headset. Since Clemson recovered, no one is even talking about Dabo's poor decision to take the onside. That's how quickly perception of a coach can change.

Disclaimer: I think Butch is a terrible coach with no balls, but my point is all coaches make poor decisions. They are simply magnified when it turns into a loss.

What's funny about this whole thing is that Dabo went for the onside to end the game out with 1 second on the clock after they scored to take the lead.

Dabo clearly didn't realize that if the ball is downed on the kickoff (which is what almost always happpens on an onside) then no time is taken off the clock, meaning if Bama had recovered they would have gotten a chance to throw the ball to the end zone from 40 yards always. Dabo should have had his kicker kick the ball out of bounds, giving Bama 1 second to run a play from 60 yards away.

Had Bama recovered the ball on the onside, and won on the manageable 40-yard pass to the end zone, Dabo is suddenly the dumbest coach to ever wear the headset. Since Clemson recovered, no one is even talking about Dabo's poor decision to take the onside. That's how quickly perception of a coach can change.

Disclaimer: I think Butch is a terrible coach with no balls, but my point is all coaches make poor decisions. They are simply magnified when it turns into a loss.

Glad i am not the only 1 who noticed this. Onside kick was waaaay stupid...and the refs even went to replay to see who recovered. If the licker doesnt cover his own kick, bama has a free play from clemson territory to use those trick plays they saved all season...or the hail mary we beat georgia with. Clemson got lucky...refs badly wanted to give bama a shot too

Clemson was down 3 in 4th quarter with 7 seconds left in the Championship game.
They had a timeout, I believe, but there was no guarantee that they would get to run another play. A play can easily take all 7 seconds before its over.
They could have easily scored an 'easy' FG and moved the game to OT.
Remember this is Clemson, who hadn't won a NC in 31 years and lost a close one last year.
It takes a lot of guts to say 'Lets go win it'. Clemson and Dabo did so.

Now think of all the 'lets go to overtime by taking a knee' or 'lets kill time and walk into halftime' stunts Butch has pulled on us. His ultra-conservative style will never get us over 9-10 game mark. His aggressive calls only come when he has no other choice. He is never the one to either 'deliver the knockout punch' or 'keep the gas pedal down'.
Unless there is a major philosophy shift, he is not winning us any championships (SEC or NC) here !!

Bold calls got the mad hatter fired at LSU

Yea and I bet 99% of Clemson fans were screaming for him to take a timeout.
Nothing special here, he went for it with a pick play and was lucky it wasn't called and was lucky it was caught.

Why call a t.o.? The clock wasn't running before the TD play. If the pass wasn't there, simply throw it away. Cutting it close, yes, but enough time.

I've harped on this for years with regard to Butch. There's almost no sense in continuing to point this out but...jones is as cowardly as any coach you'll see. Almost every great game I watch I constantly find myself realizing that jones would never make the decisions necessary for us to be in those games. In the national championship, for example, Butch would've never gotten to the 3 yard line because he'd have went ultra conservative when he got on the edge of fg range. And would've sent a kid out with the championship on the line to attempt a very long fg just for the tie. That's the truth weather anyone want to accept it or not. Also, compare Saban on their last drive. He faced a 4th and 2 from their own 38 yard line with nearly 4 minutes to go and a couple of to's. He never even thought about it kicking it. There's just no way Butch would've done that.
As is often the case, had Butch been in either coache's shoes, he'd have lost the game without every give the team a chance to win it. Then he would almost certainly have went into the press conference and said the coaches had a great game plan but the players didn't execute...aka it's not my fault we lost. Pathetic

Clemson was down 3 in 4th quarter with 7 seconds left in the Championship game.
They had a timeout, I believe, but there was no guarantee that they would get to run another play. A play can easily take all 7 seconds before its over.
They could have easily scored an 'easy' FG and moved the game to OT.
Remember this is Clemson, who hadn't won a NC in 31 years and lost a close one last year.
It takes a lot of guts to say 'Lets go win it'. Clemson and Dabo did so.

Now think of all the 'lets go to overtime by taking a knee' or 'lets kill time and walk into halftime' stunts Butch has pulled on us. His ultra-conservative style will never get us over 9-10 game mark. His aggressive calls only come when he has no other choice. He is never the one to either 'deliver the knockout punch' or 'keep the gas pedal down'.
Unless there is a major philosophy shift, he is not winning us any championships (SEC or NC) here !!
You're not tickling ears in here

I first thought in beginning of last season that CBJ may be a little better when he is playing from behind.....it should force him to keep petal down. He is learning on the job and it is embarrassing that UT has came to that.....since firing Fulmer.

I've harped on this for years with regard to Butch. There's almost no sense in continuing to point this out but...jones is as cowardly as any coach you'll see. Almost every great game I watch I constantly find myself realizing that jones would never make the decisions necessary for us to be in those games. In the national championship, for example, Butch would've never gotten to the 3 yard line because he'd have went ultra conservative when he got on the edge of fg range. And would've sent a kid out with the championship on the line to attempt a very long fg just for the tie. That's the truth weather anyone want to accept it or not. Also, compare Saban on their last drive. He faced a 4th and 2 from their own 38 yard line with nearly 4 minutes to go and a couple of to's. He never even thought about it kicking it. There's just no way Butch would've done that.
As is often the case, had Butch been in either coache's shoes, he'd have lost the game without every give the team a chance to win it. Then he would almost certainly have went into the press conference and said the coaches had a great game plan but the players didn't execute...aka it's not my fault we lost. Pathetic

Heck CBJ already showed us in OK game. Tells his 240.beast to get on the bench while he trots out his fg kicker....ball inside the 1 and very early in the game lol

HS coaches.got.more.stones than that lol

I think this season we'll get to see Butch's killer instinct in action as never before.

No. If anything with an inexperienced QB, holes to fill on defense, and breaking in some new offense off lineman and wide receivers, you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to let it loose now.

I'd expect a very conservative outlook...and to be honest I've not seen a killer instinct from this staff. Quite the opposite.

Heck CBJ already showed us in OK game. Tells his 240.beast to get on the bench while he trots out his fg kicker....ball inside the 1 and very early in the game lol

HS coaches.got.more.stones than that lol

There is a mind set to it all. Against OK CBJ kicked the field goal and ended up losing the game, against Fl he went for it on 4th down didn't get it, got down 21-0. He even kicked a FG to make it 21-3. He had 44 seconds and 2 timeouts left and chose to run the clock out to go in at the half(with the crowd booing and this was pointed out by Verne's sidekick).

Even after the win it was all about, why did we get down by 21? Lyle can't get the team ready. Well Florida was playing a backup QB.

I still think he should have punched it in for a late score.

No. If anything with an inexperienced QB, holes to fill on defense, and breaking in some new offense off lineman and wide receivers, you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to let it loose now.

I'd expect a very conservative outlook...and to be honest I've not seen a killer instinct from this staff. Quite the opposite.

I'm with Jake on this. He will play to our strengths in the most conservative way he thinks we can win. Why gamble if you don't need to? Our offense is designed to run base plays to see how their defense will defend it, until we feel them out, it's gonna be run, run,throw. That puts a lot of pressure on our defense, I'm glad we have a top notch DC in Shoop.

Oh by killer instinct I wasn't meaning anything fancy. Just more of what it takes to get the win. If that means eating up more clock when ahead by two touchdowns, I'm all for it!

If it means extra focus on making sure each player knows their assignment and what they need to do on each play with extra drilling on the weak areas or even finding a way to get everybody more aggressive and fired up.

You know, just that sharpness that goes straight for the finish when it's time to put your opponent away.

Even with breaking in new players, if he can find those little extras to give the team an edge and win a couple we're not "supposed to win" and win the ones favored to win, he could have his first 10 win season since Tennessee and keep that pattern of progress gained or maintained going that he's done since he got here.

He seems to really be working hard on assembling the staff and recruiting talent. In the positions where players are drafted or graduated, there are studs to step up and really have a breakout season.

I mean Jauan Jennings will easily have his best season ever and he had a heck of a season last season. Then all the other speedsters at WR and some with some experience even if it was limited.

John Kelly's ready to have a 1,000 yard season.

There's talent returning on defense.

I don't mean doing anything crazy or gamble at all.

When I say killer instinct I just mean finding the best ways to get all you can out of the weapons you have and keep pressing those advantages until you convert them into the win even if it's one you're "not supposed to" win.

Making fewer mistakes than your opponent. Protecting the football on purpose on offense and playing with such an aggression on defense that your opponents succumb to the pressure and make mistakes.

Yes, I'm excited to see Shoop's handiwork too.

Teams can't beat you if you don't let them score any points.

I'm just saying I'm glad Coach Butch is on the job and I think he's going to get the team ready to win no matter what it takes to get the job done.

Oh by killer instinct I wasn't meaning anything fancy. Just more of what it takes to get the win. If that means eating up more clock when ahead by two touchdowns, I'm all for it!

If it means extra focus on making sure each player knows their assignment and what they need to do on each play with extra drilling on the weak areas or even finding a way to get everybody more aggressive and fired up.

You know, just that sharpness that goes straight for the finish when it's time to put your opponent away.

Even with breaking in new players, if he can find those little extras to give the team an edge and win a couple we're not "supposed to win" and win the ones favored to win, he could have his first 10 win season since Tennessee and keep that pattern of progress gained or maintained going that he's done since he got here.

He seems to really be working hard on assembling the staff and recruiting talent. In the positions where players are drafted or graduated, there are studs to step up and really have a breakout season.

I mean Jauan Jennings will easily have his best season ever and he had a heck of a season last season. Then all the other speedsters at WR and some with some experience even if it was limited.

John Kelly's ready to have a 1,000 yard season.

There's talent returning on defense.

I don't mean doing anything crazy or gamble at all.

When I say killer instinct I just mean finding the best ways to get all you can out of the weapons you have and keep pressing those advantages until you convert them into the win even if it's one you're "not supposed to" win.

Making fewer mistakes than your opponent. Protecting the football on purpose on offense and playing with such an aggression on defense that your opponents succumb to the pressure and make mistakes.

Yes, I'm excited to see Shoop's handiwork too.

Teams can't beat you if you don't let them score any points.

I'm just saying I'm glad Coach Butch is on the job and I think he's going to get the team ready to win no matter what it takes to get the job done.

I'm glad you don't want much.

Nice post. I think we are on the same page.

Release the Beast!

Last edited:
Why call a t.o.? The clock wasn't running before the TD play. If the pass wasn't there, simply throw it away. Cutting it close, yes, but enough time.

yeah but by cutting it so close and not calling a timeout a play or 2 before the last play to save a few seconds, they left no margin for error. if they don't make it into end zone on last play, time runs out and they loose when they could have kicked fg to tie at worst case scenario.

Butch sucks.

There, I joined in.

Even I'm finding it exhausting keeping up with the Butch sucks threads.

There's more than enough.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. In fact, I believe it's time for a refreshing change of pace for those crybabies to read and weep.

In regards to that decision in the Championship game,

Yeah, that kind of approach does take using your Cojones.

Burning all bridges behind you and leaving only one choice right in front of you now:
Win or Lose.

Right about now your eyes should gravitate to the left in the last line of the previous sentence and lock in on those 3 letters Win. No other options. That's it. Makes existence easier that way without meaningless distractions to waste your time that's already dedicated to your purpose. Let's recap: Win.

That's it. Everyone and anyone in the history of all time who ever won anything had to do what those 3 letters say. Win. It's not the shortcut. It's not the scenic route. It's not what joe blow schmoe recommends when you can get around to it or can't find someone else to get it done for you.

But "it's" still as Coach Lombardi said so many years ago, "the only thing."

And it's what we do at Tennessee.

What's the next step toward the goal?

Good. Now that we know where we're going, it saves us from wasting time weighing other options.

I just realized you can't even spell Cojones without Jones!

Let's get fired up Coach Butch! This is YOUR year.

We love you man and don't forget it.

Let's don't even let Saban and Swinney know their time's up and it's your time now.

Brick by brick Tennessee has laid the foundation and after back to back 9 win seasons (Thank you Coach Butch), don't bother us at Tennessee, we're working on winning the East and will get back to you just as soon as it's done.

W-I-N. It's what we do.

Last edited:
I kind of hate how every thread becomes a "hate on or defend Butch thread"...kind of gets old. It's going to be a very long offseason. So let's try and not devolve everything into a pointless thread. From what I can see it's usually the "hate on" crowd that starts it. So please the next time you want to make a snide comment about Butch sucking on a thread totally unrelated (not necessarily this thread) please keep it to yourself. We know. You've only said it a hundred times now.

I agree Aday25.

I don't mind discussing what Dabo did on the last play to win the championship at Clemson since that's the topic of the thread, but like you said, the negavol hate crowd had to degrade it down into one of their digital moans. But truth be told, I don't mind defending Coach Jones even though he's big enough to not need someone else doing it for him. I'd just rather discuss our coach in a positive way for the many things he has accomplished instead of critiquing some other coach since this is Tennessee football. However, it's perfectly relevant though because we're doing all we can for this topic of Championships to be relevant at Tennessee anyway. Coach Butch has done plenty to celebrate already but I'm still excited though because I truly and honestly believe the best is yet to come.

I agree. In fact, I believe it's time for a refreshing change of pace for those crybabies to read and weep.

In regards to that decision in the Championship game,

Yeah, that kind of approach does take using your Cojones.

Burning all bridges behind you and leaving only one choice right in front of you now:
Win or Lose.

Right about now your eyes should gravitate to the left in the last line of the previous sentence and lock in on those 3 letters Win. No other options. That's it. Makes existence easier that way without meaningless distractions to waste your time that's already dedicated to your purpose. Let's recap: Win.

That's it. Everyone and anyone in the history of all time who ever won anything had to do what those 3 letters say. Win. It's not the shortcut. It's not the scenic route. It's not what joe blow schmoe recommends when you can get around to it or can't find someone else to get it done for you.

But "it's" still as Coach Lombardi said so many years ago, "the only thing."

And it's what we do at Tennessee.

What's the next step toward the goal?

Good. Now that we know where we're going, it saves us from wasting time weighing other options.

I just realized you can't even spell Cojones without Jones!

Let's get fired up Coach Butch! This is YOUR year.

We love you man and don't forget it.

Let's don't even let Saban and Swinney know their time's up and it's your time now.

Brick by brick Tennessee has laid the foundation and after back to back 9 win seasons (Thank you Coach Butch), don't bother us at Tennessee, we're working on winning the East and will get back to you just as soon as it's done.

W-I-N. It's what we do.

That Joe Schmoe show was great.
"What is going on?"

We are on the same page.

Release the beast!

I've got a question for ya.

I picked us to go undefeated. I was wrong 4 times.

How did you do on your picks?

I kind of hate how every thread becomes a "hate on or defend Butch thread"...kind of gets old. It's going to be a very long offseason. So let's try and not devolve everything into a pointless thread. From what I can see it's usually the "hate on" crowd that starts it. So please the next time you want to make a snide comment about Butch sucking on a thread totally unrelated (not necessarily this thread) please keep it to yourself. We know. You've only said it a hundred times now.

Sometimes they get called out before they even get a chance to be positive, so they come in defensive with "guns a blazing".

Everybody just trying to get by.

Release the Beast!

VN Store

Back