D. Scott 2nd on depth chart

Lane catching a lot of unwarranted grief from fans this year. Truth is he simply isn't healthy. It's a shame, coaches raved about his off season work

This. I said it before and I'll say it again (albeit modified): a healthy Marlin Lane behind a decent O line would rush for 1000 yards in a season. And yes I realize nobody would describe this year's O line as decent... I just think he is better than he's given credit for.

You're throwing Rocky Reid in there? Dude is a 3 star prospect, 58th best RB in the country. He might end up being a Tauren Poole type, but he's not stepping in here day 1 and running with the big boys. Likely a Tom Smith type.

2013 432 3355 39 5 89 1
2012 230 1590 14 23 244 3
Total 662 4945 53 28 333 4

nah no way he touches the ball 57 touchdowns and over 5000+ yards

Hurd and Scott hit the gaps very well, which can arent very big this season due to the Oline play.

Of course the pool of 3* and under is a lot more than 4 or 5 * talent. That being said, if you were a 3* talent with only so-so offers in college and make it in the first couple of rounds of the draft then that is still pretty damn good. My original point was just because Rivals or ESPN hasn't determined that a player is up to their caliber doesn't mean that he can't come in and make a difference on day 1. And BTW, from 2002 thru 2010 there were 262 5* recruits. How many were drafted? 116 or 44%. Meaning that more than half failed to live up to their ranking. Of course injuries, trouble or just quitting football completely got some of them but it just shows that stars ultimately mean nothing just like I originally said.

So in 2002-2010 FBS recruiting there were a total of 24,390 signed recruits (per rivals)...of that 1.4% were 5*(330 total - not sure where the difference in data is coming from), 12.3% were 4* (2,988), 32.3% were 3* (7,898) and 54.0% were 2*-0* (13,174).

I am not arguing what you are saying at all...but I would counter that 44% of the top 1.4% being drafted....is a high amount. Especially when you consider that finding talent out of HS is harder than the NFL finding talent out of college.

Also you say more than half failed to live up to their rating (glass half empty IMO). Why cant you say a lot of kids out played their ratings and put in the work to earn a spot in the league?

Just my 2 cents...for the record I am against star gazing, and I trust our coaches evaluations more than a few asterisks....so we actually agree and im just playing devils advocate.

Last edited:
2013 432 3355 39 5 89 1
2012 230 1590 14 23 244 3
Total 662 4945 53 28 333 4

nah no way he touches the ball 57 touchdowns and over 5000+ yards

You're right, no way he sees PT first year. He may come in and be a great player 2-3 years down the road, but our backfield will be way too crowded for him to come in and play 1st year.

I get what you're trying to say, but for every recruiting gem, there are 3-4 busts. Look at our past 5 recruiting classes at all of the 3 star players who were stars.

I'm done arguing this. No way the kid doesn't redshirt first year. No way.

You're throwing Rocky Reid in there? Dude is a 3 star prospect, 58th best RB in the country. He might end up being a Tauren Poole type, but he's not stepping in here day 1 and running with the big boys. Likely a Tom Smith type.

Maybe you should offer your brilliant analysis to Butch and Co. We would be assured of an NC with your sage advice.

Maybe you should offer your brilliant analysis to Butch and Co. We would be assured of an NC with your sage advice.

Last time I checked that is what a forum is for. We post what we think. You think I am wrong and I think you probably voted for Obama. No harm, no foul.

The kid just broke the North Carolina state single-game rushing record last Friday. "Underrated" is a huge understatement. He plays stiff competition too.

FYI- North Carolina has a reputation for producing good running backs.

EDIT: If you want to talk recruiting numbers, let's look at the fact that Cam Sutton was a 3*, 78th best ATH nationally, 53rd in the state of Georgia. Pretty sure he made an immediate impact and has grown to be one of our most valuable assets.

Gurley was a 3 * from NC

Freshman tailback Derrell Scott was listed second — behind freshman Jalen Hurd, and ahead of senior Marlin Lane — on Tennessee's official depth chart for Saturday's game at third-ranked Ole Miss.This is interesting, probably because lane is still hurt or Scott is just better.

This tells me that in addition to our lack of recruiting OLine, we also sucked at recruiting SEC caliber running backs. In fact a quick look at our roster and we have as many QBs as RBs, which is ridiculous given the pounding they take. 3 Seniors, 2 of which are out and one who has never cracked the 2 deep and a RS Jr...the others are true freshman.

So in 2002-2010 FBS recruiting there were a total of 24,390 signed recruits (per rivals)...of that 1.4% were 5*(330 total - not sure where the difference in data is coming from), 12.3% were 4* (2,988), 32.3% were 3* (7,898) and 54.0% were 2*-0* (13,174).

I am not arguing what you are saying at all...but I would counter that 44% of the top 1.4% being drafted....is a high amount. Especially when you consider that finding talent out of HS is harder than the NFL finding talent out of college.

Also you say more than half failed to live up to their rating (glass half empty IMO). Why cant you say a lot of kids out played their ratings and put in the work to earn a spot in the league?

Just my 2 cents...for the record I am against star gazing, and I trust our coaches evaluations more than a few asterisks....so we actually agree and im just playing devils advocate.

When I said half failed to live up to their ranking I was specifically speaking on 5* players only. Of course some outplay their evaluations,that was what I was saying. Just because a player has only received 3* from Scout,Rivals or whomever means nothing.There are plenty of instances of these players becoming stars in college and in the NFL. Some on here want to say a player like Rocky Reid isn't going to come in here and make a difference from day 1 when they have no clue what the kid might do when he gets here. These very same people would have a different opinion if Rivals gave him another * or two.That is all they see and if they don't rank on the Espn top 100 they automatically think they won't be able to play at the SEC level. At the end of the day 5* or 2* doesn't matter if these players don't put in the work to better themselves.

Once our O-line improves, it will be time to rebuild the defense. It's a vicious cycle that we haven't been able to overcome for years.

They way Butch is recruiting there will be no rebuilding of the defense. Simply restocking the shelves.

I hope you're right my friend, but you don't just restock the shelves with an AJ Johnson.

I've got high hopes for this guy:

1629051_401c053787b344a78bea5a9e263ac08e.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I just look forward to playing Bama in Tuscaloosa next year and having Kamara run the ball down their ******* throats all day. You KNOW he will have a chip on his shoulder that day.

Just like Bo Wallace will this wknd. He wanted to be a Vol very bad. But if our Oline doesn't get better it doesn't matter what kind of chip he has or wouldn't matter if Jamal Lewis and Peyton were playing if they don't continue to develop.

They way Butch is recruiting there will be no rebuilding of the defense. Simply restocking the shelves.

There will always be rebuilding no matter who Coach's..look at the trouble Alabama's secondary has covering guys, youth can kill you till they develop.

Yeah dude, I get that. I'm just saying he's not going to come in and do anything Day 1.

The recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but their a pretty good indication.

True Freshmen RB's who aren't 5* 4* prospects don't come into the SEC and contribute like that, its a fact. Normally redshirt. Rocky Reid will not contribute day 1 the position will have to much depth and talent. Had this been under the previous regime then maybe he would contribute.

Gurley was a top 50 player nationally, pretty sure every site had him as a 4*

Edit: Beaten

But if we're on 3* running backs, how about our very own Arian Foster?

Foster didn't contribute until his Jr really. Also, Foster was not the Foster you see on Sundays as he was on Saturdays at UT. He landed in the right system in HOU. True he is the 2nd leading rusher in UT history but his stigma he was know as a fumbler and the failed moments in the big games.

Foster didn't contribute until his Jr really. Also, Foster was not the Foster you see on Sundays as he was on Saturdays at UT. He landed in the right system in HOU. True he is the 2nd leading rusher in UT history but his stigma he was know as a fumbler and the failed moments in the big games.

Uh, what?

Arian Foster rushed for OVER 1,000 yards as a TRUE FRESHMAN. Averaged about 5 ypc and did not start until about the 1/2 point of the season. Not sure what "contributing" means to you, but I hope we have a lot more non-"contributing" Freshmen in the future.

And furthermore, because some group of people erroneously create a "stigma" does not make it true. Arian Foster did not have a ball security problem relatively speaking. He fumbled 5 times on 650 carries (a school record!). It just so happened that all five fumbles occurred in high profile games and had game changing results. One of the 5 was on the QB who happened to be handing off backwards to protect an injured finger. Another was on a goal line play where a quick exchange was miffed.

Moral of the story is, just because you personally have a negative viewpoint about a player has no affect on the quality of that player. Misinformation like you just put forth needs to get corrected before the unaware get infected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back