D’Eriq King enters Transfer Portal. Is he a possible grab for the Vols?

Read the LA Times Article. Could be Legit, could be One Disgruntled Guy. Let's see how many Officially Collaborate the story. Hard to believe that Holgersen would take a chance on losing players.

I shared that article...but who knows, the amount of upperclassmen that redshirted after the 1-3 start just seemed odd. I probably would have leaned "disgruntled guy" but now that King is transferring I'm wondering if there is more to it.

Did you miss this like ENTIRE college football season?

Dana tried to redshirt nearly his entire team...

How Houston used redshirts to tank in college football

I shared that article...but who knows, the amount of upperclassmen that redshirted after the 1-3 start just seemed odd. I probably would have leaned "disgruntled guy" but now that King is transferring I'm wondering if there is more to it.

One thing for sure; HOUSTON Screwed up hiring Holgersen. Nobody likes that guy; I've watched him during games, and he is just not HC material. Spoiled Brat Syndrome.

Reactions: Zues1
One thing for sure; HOUSTON Screwed up hiring Holgersen. Nobody likes that guy; I've watched him during games, and he is just not HC material. Spoiled Brat Syndrome.

Like still blows my mind. Major Applewhite was 15-11 after just 2 seasons as a HC, played at Texas and was 10-6 in conference. Why fire him at all?

SIAP
247 lists Tennessee as a possible destination for D'Eriq King. Nine potential transfer destinations for D'Eriq King
"The Vols could use an elite passer to elevate the program in Year 3 under Jeremy Pruitt. Jarrett Guarantano finished the 2019 season strong, but it's unclear if he or freshman Brian Mauer is the future in Knoxville. King, an experienced passer with a winning history, could provide a high-ceiling stop gap for Jeremy Pruitt in Year 3. Stylistically, however, this doesn’t make a ton of sense. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney’s never had a quarterback quite like King in his pro-style scheme. "

Reactions: MrVolton
SIAP
247 lists Tennessee as a possible destination for D'Eriq King. Nine potential transfer destinations for D'Eriq King
"The Vols could use an elite passer to elevate the program in Year 3 under Jeremy Pruitt. Jarrett Guarantano finished the 2019 season strong, but it's unclear if he or freshman Brian Mauer is the future in Knoxville. King, an experienced passer with a winning history, could provide a high-ceiling stop gap for Jeremy Pruitt in Year 3. Stylistically, however, this doesn’t make a ton of sense. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney’s never had a quarterback quite like King in his pro-style scheme. "
tenor.gif

Reactions: igotworms
SIAP
I don’t think Chaney would have any trouble utilizing this kid’s skillset

"Tennessee ended 2019 with six consecutive wins to finish 8-5, providing real optimism for the future. However, that ascent happened on the backs of a sturdy defense; the unit allowed no more than 4.9 yards per snap during the winning streak.
Meanwhile, the offense shredded South Carolina but otherwise averaged only 24.4 points. Wins are important, but the Vols were toppling the SEC's worst teams.
While that is unquestioned improvement from losing to those same programs, it's not as if Tennessee upset Alabama, Florida or Georgia. The Vols dropped those matchups by a combined 82 points; they're still a work in progress.
Priority No. 1 is upgrading at quarterback. Jarrett Guarantano improved but still only topped 200 yards in four games, and rising sophomore Brian Maurer isn't a sure thing.
At the very worst, King is a high-upside player and would benefit an offense that desperately needs it."

Last edited:
SIAP

Can’t take that write up seriously

Why do people use IMO or IMHO? It's always considered your opinion unless you state otherwise. Stop the madness!

I doubt that King ends up at Arkansas as they're worse off than Houston. With all of the QB's on our roster (don't we still have the transfer QB from Maryland?) I highly doubt that we are even considered...Oklahoma or LSU might be a better landing spot.
It’s a polite qualifier because there are a lot of “just facts” posters on here.

Question I have is can he really learn chaney system in one year? Would rather let bailey take lumps and destroy the competition in 2021. Ready for sec championship
Heisman favorite > True Freshman. King gets us to the SEC championship now. Chaney system is not complicated. The fact is proven by past true freshman having success in his system.

Heisman favorite > True Freshman. King gets us to the SEC championship now. Chaney system is not complicated. The fact is proven by past true freshman having success in his system.
I used to think Chaney system was JG's problem at the beginning of the year, but the bowl performance erased that argument. More just failure to execute/too slow to get the ball out, etc.

The difficulty of learning a new offensive system is overrated. Most systems are hybrids of each other and have a lot of overlap.
Chaney has had so many different looking offenses. He will adapt what he has to give the best players a system that fits him. QBs have lined up from the gun and from under center. They have been run heavy and they have aired it out.

VN Store

Back