D’Angelo Gibbs

I think the receiving group is actually going to be quite respectable this year. Get back with me in December
There’s some potential. Hyatt needs to become more than just a 1 route guy. Velus flashed at the end, I don’t know anyone that has flashed other than those 2

Wishful thinking won’t make it so
I'm pretty realistic. I don't think they have the horses to challenge for the East. I think a split with Ole Miss, USCe, Mizzou, and UK is fairly reasonable from a roster view. The OOC schedule couldn't be much better. Vandy should be pretty much automatic.

UT has talent but not a lot of experience across the O... but past experience in a new and significantly different offensive scheme isn't as valuable as it might be otherwise.

UT has experience and talent in the secondary. They have experience and lots of bodies on the DL. At worst they should be a "serviceable" group. LB is a huge concern. UT could be dependent on the guys signed last year, Beasley, plus Willis. We could see some " creativity" around 2 LB's. Maybe more 5 DL fronts on short yardage.... weird stuff.

Is does seem that all of the best players on an already bad team have left; Eric Gray, Tre Smith, Josh Palmer, Henry T, Bryce Thompson, and a couple others I know I’m missing. I think what will certainly be better coaching, because Pruitt and staff were that horrendous, will be offset by a really weak roster. I think Pitt is a huge game for UT. A win there gives them a shot at 6-6. A loss there and you’re looking at a losing season again.

Hard to remember a roster that has taken such a beating.
It’s not hard to remember if you are a Tennessee fan. Rosters were just as bad the years after Fulmer and Butch got fired. The roster was in worse shape for Dooleys 1st year after Kiffin bolted. My hope is that we actually have the coach that will get us back to being a winning program. If not we will do this all over again in about 3-4 years.

QB - it is absolutely underrated on our roster. You can't go buy what Pruitt put on the field.

RB- We have a 6'5 235 RB that runs 4.4. Another that runs 4.3. And the top JUCO back coming in.
WR- speed everywhere.

OL. A lot of experience and good talent that was underutilized.

DL- (see OL)

Uncertainty everywhere else.

Yeah. Our roster was much worse coming into 2017 and 2013...

I think experience on the line is way underrated. Most teams that "surprisingly" have good years are the ones that have 5th year seniors on the lines. I would predict that this years will be better than expected, and then the next year may be a bit of a letdown.

It’s not hard to remember if you are a Tennessee fan. Rosters were just as bad the years after Fulmer and Butch got fired. The roster was in worse shape for Dooleys 1st year after Kiffin bolted. My hope is that we actually have the coach that will get us back to being a winning program. If not we will do this all over again in about 3-4 years.

I don't think the roster has been as bad as the one Butch left, since maybe the year Majors took over. The guys may have had the measurables, but the culture was as bad as it could have possibly been.

Reactions: jarnol32
He should still be on the roster and enrolled. He opted out last year if I remember correctly. Nigels cousin. Highly ranked out of HS

Is does seem that all of the best players on an already bad team have left; Eric Gray, Tre Smith, Josh Palmer, Henry T, Bryce Thompson, and a couple others I know I’m missing. I think what will certainly be better coaching, because Pruitt and staff were that horrendous, will be offset by a really weak roster. I think Pitt is a huge game for UT. A win there gives them a shot at 6-6. A loss there and you’re looking at a losing season again.

Hard to remember a roster that has taken such a beating.
There is talent and depth of talent on the current roster except for the unknowns at LB. There's not much experience and offensively that may not be a terrible thing.

When we look back at Gray, Smith, and Palmer... the question we have to ask ourselves is it better to have talented and experienced players that aren't utilized or to have inexperienced talent that hopefully gets utilized but may make mistakes? I may change my mind but right now... the latter sounds refreshing.

You got the significant losses on D. Shamburger was probably the true best player on UT's D entering last fall but he opted out or had academic issues.

Reactions: butchna and Jaws
There’s some potential. Hyatt needs to become more than just a 1 route guy. Velus flashed at the end, I don’t know anyone that has flashed other than those 2
Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle would have had trouble flashing in our offense last year. Our receivers had so few opportunities it’s hard to know what they can really do. Hopefully with better QB play this year, they can be given a chance to put up some yards. An isolated nice catch or two doesn’t mean they will be great receivers, but Wideman and Tillman had a couple of nice grabs I can remember. I hope Calloway, Holliday, Wideman, and some others are given more chances on the field this year. I’ll be interested to see where Beckwith ends up as well. He should be a playmaker whichever position they put him at.

Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle would have had trouble flashing in our offense last year. Our receivers had so few opportunities it’s hard to know what they can really do. Hopefully with better QB play this year, they can be given a chance to put up some yards. An isolated nice catch or two doesn’t mean they will be great receivers, but Wideman and Tillman had a couple of nice grabs I can remember. I hope Calloway, Holliday, Wideman, and some others are given more chances on the field this year. I’ll be interested to see where Beckwith ends up as well. He should be a playmaker whichever position they put him at.
I think Beckwith has the potential to be a nightmare for DC's in CJH's fast O. He could play RB, HB, TE, or WR. That means UT could do anything from jumbo to 5 wide. If Calloway and Holiday start to have similar flexibility as RB/WR/S... it could get REALLY tough for DC's.

I agree somewhat! the only real attack much the year was a vertical shot that hit far to seldomly. I look at beckwith with his size and speed and wonder why he didn’t play on the outside last year.. makes me think there is something missing from his pass catching game but he was a plus athlete on a team with few of those.

Who are the best players returning on offense and defense? I’m assuming Harrison Bailey is the best on offense, right?
In my opinion our best player will be a brand new player; the JC RB. Evans, in my opinion will be the best RB we've had in a long time.

Reactions: Jaws
Don't do this to yourself.
There are a lot of people here trying to make out as if this is worse than what Pittman inherited or somehow an NAIA type of roster. It isn't. UT plays Pitt, BGSU, Tennessee Tech, and So Alabama in their OOC games. UT has more talent than any of those teams... yes including Pitt. That leaves Vandy and one of USCe (whose roster is a worse mess), Mizzou, UK, and Ole Miss. UT needs one of those games to become bowl eligible. Mizzou still isn't a highly talented team. UK is UK. Ole Miss is probably the most difficult of those games.... but not so overwhelmingly talented that if UT gains comfort in the first 3 games... a win is unreasonable.

I don't think UT has guns to run with Bama, UGA, or UF next year. I hope the Vols can look at least a little more credible and like they've actually practiced together though. But there are people here acting like UT doesn't have the talent to beat Vandy.

There's not much experience in some groups. The OL, DL, and DB's have experience but mediocre/underutilized talent.

I think 7 wins is hardly shooting for the moon. IMHO, if the staff cannot get 6 wins out of this roster than we're pretty much destined for another change in 3 years.

I hate most Gators but 99 is an exception. He is consistently respectful and he has a point, we are not doing Heupel and Company a damn bit of good with the 6-6 floor talk. We will be lucky as hell to go 6-6. This program incredibly is lower than it was when Dooley, Butch or Pruitt took over. We have been publicly kicked in the nuts repeatedly for almost 15 years. We are the laughing stock of CFB. We can come back but we've got to give Heupel job security so he can build something. Depending on what the sanctions are we could have up to 3 years before Heupel even has a reasonably even playing field.
99 isn’t a horrible Gators fan...but he’s a Gators fan. He’s not immune to trolling or getting a dig in and perfectly capable of pretending knowledge that isn’t reality.

Ok, well let's do something not common on this board. Let's have a rational discussion.

Why is the roster not that bad?

What position group or unit is in the top half of the league?

What part of the roster do you look at and believe meets the standard of Tennessee football?

Reptiles eclipse some Vol fans, unfortunately

There are a lot of people here trying to make out as if this is worse than what Pittman inherited or somehow an NAIA type of roster. It isn't. UT plays Pitt, BGSU, Tennessee Tech, and So Alabama in their OOC games. UT has more talent than any of those teams... yes including Pitt. That leaves Vandy and one of USCe (whose roster is a worse mess), Mizzou, UK, and Ole Miss. UT needs one of those games to become bowl eligible. Mizzou still isn't a highly talented team. UK is UK. Ole Miss is probably the most difficult of those games.... but not so overwhelmingly talented that if UT gains comfort in the first 3 games... a win is unreasonable.

I don't think UT has guns to run with Bama, UGA, or UF next year. I hope the Vols can look at least a little more credible and like they've actually practiced together though. But there are people here acting like UT doesn't have the talent to beat Vandy.

There's not much experience in some groups. The OL, DL, and DB's have experience but mediocre/underutilized talent.

I think 7 wins is hardly shooting for the moon. IMHO, if the staff cannot get 6 wins out of this roster than we're pretty much destined for another change in 3 years.

UT has more talent on its roster than 7 teams on their schedule. In what seems to be a decade of coaching ineptitude, I’m cautiously optimistic about the QB room and Heupel’s offense.

Competing for the east isn’t on the radar, but I’m more optimistic about taking care of business against UK/SC/Vandy/Mizzou than I was heading into 11’-14’ or 18’-20’.

Efficient offenses with good to great QB play solve so many issues.

5 to 7 wins is the range for this team. 6 or more wins would be a successful season.

you/we saw an underachieving team after the UGA first half due to something internal

motivation, game planning, execution and team unity will be much improved this year and I believe the W/L record will be reflect that improvement

5 to 7 wins is the range for this team. 6 or more wins would be a successful season.
If they win less than 6 then IMO we are certain to see another coaching change in 3 years. There is enough talent on this team to win AT LEAST one of these four: UK, MU, Ole Miss, and USCe.

UT has more talent on its roster than 7 teams on their schedule. In what seems to be a decade of coaching ineptitude, I’m cautiously optimistic about the QB room and Heupel’s offense.

Competing for the east isn’t on the radar, but I’m more optimistic about taking care of business against UK/SC/Vandy/Mizzou than I was heading into 11’-14’ or 18’-20’.

Efficient offenses with good to great QB play solve so many issues.
I agree. My bigger worry is the defense.

If they win less than 6 then IMO we are certain to see another coaching change in 3 years. There is enough talent on this team to win AT LEAST one of these four: UK, MU, Ole Miss, and USCe.
5 is worst case situation, and that would be a disappointment. But the teams problem isn’t necessarily talent, although they may need to grab some 2 deep players from the portal. The bigger problem is the culture of losing, taking short cuts, and finger pointing. The chemistry sucked last year. Our coaches got hired about 2 months late, there’s an NCAA investigation, and we may not get a real spring practice. If we start slow and end up at 5-7 I’m not ready to shovel dirt on em just yet.

He should still be on the roster and enrolled. He opted out last year if I remember correctly. Nigels cousin. Highly ranked out of HS

I'm not sure the guy is worth it. Had issues at UGA and was underwhelming there. He still had a lot of year left but had to sit out a year. Then becomes one of the only players that opted out as a "transfer". Some talks that he may have been grades related that further shows he may not be committed to the academic side of things.

VN Store

Back