Cut on leaving in 98

FYP.

Our defense was great, but we all owe gratitude to Chris Weinke for paying proper attention to his neck injury and sitting that one out.

Hope he can actively get us back to that level as part of the staff, of course.

He’d have been dead by halftime.

Reactions: VolDave53
I think Cut could see that nothing was going to keep the Vols from the NC. Not even bad play calling by an interim OC. We didn't play a great game(4 turnovers, very conservative play calling, missed FG, etc). Yet, we were never in any real danger of losing. I never felt that FSU was a real threat, after I saw our defense against their offense.
Oh good grief

Both are true. Without Cut, Fulmer doesn’t build the UT of the 90’s. However the flip side of that is also true. Without Cut, Fulmer doesn’t build the UT of the 2000s. If Cut was still here in 99 we repeat as champions. In 01 we don’t lose to UGA and probably beat LSU, would still lose to Miami. In 04 our QB situation is handled better and we beat Auburn for the SEC. In 05 we compete for a national championship.

Interesting thoughts. I agree that Cutcliffe was a very big part of the success during the Fulmer years and has DC has proven himself to be one of the best Xs and Os coaches of this generation. It should also be agreed that Fulmer had enough confidence in himself and in Cutcliffe to allow DC to run the offense (also allowed Chavis to run the defense). A lot of coaches have too big of an ego to allow the coordinators to have that much autonomy and also give them the praise for their success.

The entire coaching staff during the late 90s was a very competent and cohesive group. Allowed for great recruiting, great game plans and great success. I miss those days.

If not for Cutcliffe there would not have been Phillip Fulmer. Without Phillip Fulmer, there would not have been Johnny Majors. Without Sal Sunseri there would not have been Butch Jones. With out Butch Jones, there would never have been Jeremy Pruitt.

I do see a pattern here.

I think Cut could see that nothing was going to keep the Vols from the NC. Not even bad play calling by an interim OC. We didn't play a great game(4 turnovers, very conservative play calling, missed FG, etc). Yet, we were never in any real danger of losing. I never felt that FSU was a real threat, after I saw our defense against their offense.
No chance that was his mindset

VN Store

Back