Curt Schilling On Tennessee

Not against showing emotions and enjoying the game(it’s actually fun to watch within reason) but what Curt is saying is common sense and I think most people kinda knew this. We were going to get everyone’s best shot anyways being #1. It’s ALWAYS been that way. Having said that…it seems a stretch to say that’s the reason we failed to make the CWS. JMO. I do feel bad for the kids and TV though.

Unfortunately I agree. I'm sure this is going to start an ageist argument, but here goes.

I don't talk a bunch of crap to rivals before a game. I do believe it gives the other team a bigger edge and more incentive to play better.

We as UT fans have plenty of experience watching our "better" team screw the pooch when we thought we had no business losing. Why give anyone any extra incentive or fuel when winning a championship is hard enough?

He's right, of course. Not only because ND (and every other team) had extra motivation to rub our noses in it and see us brought crashing down. He's also right because our behavior on the field led directly to us not having our pitching coach for the last game. If not for that, maybe we don't leave Burns in there too long. Also, and I realize this is a foreign concept to some younger folks, but sports is about sportsmanship as much as it is about winning. Your not always gonna win, but you can still play the game with class and get a lot out of it.

I know...old-fashioned notions.

Wow! Being put in our place by a choirboy makes me think that we'll just go out and win us one next year!

Reactions: SAPPER 5
When you talk the talk and can't walk the walk, this is to be expected. If Namath hadn't backed up his words, history would have treated him much differently. Same for Ali and many others. They enjoyed the attention and being the villains. Didn't finish so now they've got to accept the blowback.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I'm 56 years old and baseball in general is (jmo) BORING. Up until CTV arrived I never watched the bassvols. The guys on this team made this game exciting! They put butts in the seats and gave ESPN a ratings bump compared to previous super regionals. CTV and this team has brought young fans back to the game by making it cool to watch this team. GBO

He's right, of course. Not only because ND (and every other team) had extra motivation to rub our noses in it and see us brought crashing down. He's also right because our behavior on the field led directly to us not having our pitching coach for the last game. If not for that, maybe we don't leave Burns in there too long. Also, and I realize this is a foreign concept to some younger folks, but sports is about sportsmanship as much as it is about winning. Your not always gonna win, but you can still play the game with class and get a lot out of it.

I know...old-fashioned notions.
There is no scientific correlation to sportsmanship and performance.

What’s disappointing is that Curt Schilling lost all his money earned from a 20-year MLB career to a video game company failure. I wouldn’t listen to a word he says.
I get not taking business advice from him. He does however have 3 World Series championship rings. I'd at least consider his opinion.

There is no scientific correlation to sportsmanship and performance.
Very true but when we were beating the brakes off folks, the critics were silenced. Now that we've been eliminated, this is their time to rub our noses in it. It is what it is....until next year. I do hope we play with passion and attitude but stop short of ejection and profane behavior. Not everything goes IMO.

I get not taking business advice from him. He does however have 3 World Series championship rings. I'd at least consider his opinion.
You're not wrong. I'm no fan of Shilling but his postseason record was 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA. The man likes to talk no doubt but he probably knows a thing or two about performing under pressure. I'm confident CTV will digest all that happened this postseason and use it to our advantage down the road. GBO

I guess all those other number ones who didn’t make Omaha (some of whom didn’t make a super regional) were also excessively celebrating? You can’t say that is the primary reason when we have so few number ones even make Omaha. Even if it contributed-how do you quantify that? Not really an opinion worth publishing and certainly not a baseless speculative opinion you can’t get every day at 3:30 from callers on WNML.

He was an incredibly tough competitor and has been marginalized because of his political views. I agree with you. In his day…if I needed a game 7 starter in the WS… Curt would be in my top two or three. Baseball….he knows!

This was not a "hugely disappointing Tennessee baseball team". The exit was disappointing, but losing always is. I pulled muscles and jumped on furniture to high-five the ceiling numerous times to celebrate this hugely exciting Tennessee baseball team.

What’s disappointing is that Curt Schilling lost all his money earned from a 20-year MLB career to a video game company failure. I wouldn’t listen to a word he says.

So Taking a risk in Business isn't allowed? Appx 75% of Business Ventures end in failure....

Schilling was good for a cool story in his day; that ALCS game where he was bleeding through his sock while pitching always comes to mind. Definitely wasn't sitting here though thinking "huh, I wish Curt Schilling would weigh in on this." Like, we need additional opinions on the Internet. I trust our coaching staff to figure out how to maximize what we see out of our team. If it's quiet confidence? Cool. If it takes a bit of swagger? Also okay. I'm certainly not going to go second-guessing the two-time coach of the year on what he tells those young men to put out there. Apparently they give those awards out based on results, not public opinion.

Very true but when we were beating the brakes off folks, the critics were silenced. Now that we've been eliminated, this is their time to rub our noses in it. It is what it is....until next year. I do hope we play with passion and attitude but stop short of ejection and profane behavior. Not everything goes IMO.

100%!

When Coach Anderson was ejected from the game... his body language and immediate reaction...were the actions of someone steeped in the game of baseball...that had just run out to kick dirt on the umpire's shoes... Billy Martin style. It doesn't get anymore old shool than what Coach Anderson did. That is why Schilling's controversial comments are more about carving out a niche on Outkick...than honest analysis. But under the heading, "That's baseball" surely the detractors of this team's rituals understand our coaches have to protect players. When Drew was ejected (a stern warning from the umpire would have sufficed), Coach Anderson made the mistake of trying to protect Drew, at a time when retreat may have been the better part of valor. Of course in the end, we needed Coach Anderson, and that's what Coach Vitello means when he says, "He and Frank had a sincere conversation in the dressing room after the game." Perhaps having a designated trainer too take the ejection would have been better.

Where Schilling really gets it wrong...is the part about, "if you treat every homerun you hit...as the greatest homerun ever... other teams will notice and make beating you a priority." Wow, I thought the reason you played the game was to beat your opponent... my bad. Wearing the fur coat and "Daddy" hat is not about any other team. It's not about trying to show up someone. It's about trying to build a culture of fun and comradery. And brother is it working! This team is the best college baseball team ever assembled to not win a CWS.

Each year in SEC Baseball, your team has a chance to win six banners. Last year's team won three... SEC East Champs, Regional Champs, Super Regional Champs. This year's team won four...SEC East Champs, SEC Regular Season Champs, SEC Tournament Champs, Regional Champs. As the old saying goes it's a marathon not a sprint. However, unless I'm mistaken, last year was the first year since the early 2000's Tennessee won squat in baseball.

Our rituals may make our opponents not like us, clutch their pearl's and say asinine things like "Vitello should be in jail." A dandy little quote from an Auburn fan. Or complain to the umpires after a monster homerun (while rubbing their red and swollen eyes) "Their bat doesn't have a Vanderbilt sticker on it," please...of course it's a rule that should be enforced ( the bat had at least five stickers on it... just not a Vanderbilt sticker) but it's also our opponents crying out, "Moma there goes that man again." But, I absolutely guarantee you, the Auburn fan and the Vanderbilt player would pay anything for what Coach Vitello is selling.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back