Currie's Second Smokescreen?

He's not that smart. He's in the "two minute drill" now, scrambling.

He should have never placed himself in that position. He appears to be placing trust in the wrong people. The fanbase has grown weary of being continually mislead and things being so secretive. I'll never understand why he didn't pursue Gruden in a more aggressive manner or even pursue him at all. There's still a lot of unknowns about that matter and we will never know the total truth but I'm certain that Jon Gruden hire would have united the fanbase and UT would have had a huge increase in revenue.

In contrast UF's search went smoothly. They may not have gotten their 1st choice but they seem happy with Mullen and here we are yet again the laughing stock of college football all because of one man who has to get himself involved in every aspect of UT football. Maybe one day we'll catch on.

Smokescreen... Smokescreen... this nonsense.. allright.. getoutttaaa..heeeeeerrrr

4YS1xY.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Given what we just went through we'd probably be scared ****less if we really knew what Currie is up to.

As most people have figured out, Currie's attempted hire of Schiano was made possible by the Gruden "smokescreen" that was meticulously planned. The Grumors provided distractions and even some of the AD didn't know Currie was pursuing Schiano and attempting to make the hire.

It could be possible that this is another planned "smokescreen" by Currie & company to distract the fanbase while they try to sneak another hire behind the fans back. Just a thought I had considering the eerie similarities between the two situations:

Major media outlets reporting the offer.
Fake flights to locations.
Rumors of offer amount.
Rumors of in-person meeting in a tertiary location.

Thoughts? Maybe my skepticism is too high after the first attempt.

EDIT: some proof

"Multiple sources close to the situation indicated Currie’s fate is delicately hanging in the balance, and they also noted Chancellor Beverly Davenport’s chummy relationship with the Vols’ athletic director. Currie and Davenport, per sources on campus, had hands in both Tennessee’s decision last week to publicize false flight paths for a university jet and also Davenport’s decision to favorite a tweet regarding Jon Gruden while Currie, who met with Gruden and had discussions with him on the Vols’ job, also never shot down Gruden talk."

source: New and familiar names emerging in Vols coaching search A.S. (After Schiano)

Either Reynolds OR Alcoa aluminium foil manfacturers have just the thing for all your hats.

Nah...Currie is so scared right now about transparency that he might periscope these interviews. That would be amazing TV.

I believe it is a smokescreen of a different sort. I think that Currie has made an offer to have it turned down. Probably a real offer, but to someone who has no intention of leaving a job they are doing well at and there is no pressure for him to leave. According to news reports, he just turned down the other SEC East job that was open. I believe this offer is to say 'Look, we threw a bunch of money at a good coach and were turned down' and then hire some other bottom feeder coordinator.

How is it that Gundy is considering the job now, but was not on the list before Schiano? Gundy would have not received the reaction that happened Sunday.

There is something not right about Gundy being offered the position after Volnation shut down the Schiano hire.

Currie needs to be gone before we make the an offer to a new coach so there is less of a chance of getting someone that Haslem has hand picked.

Reactions: 2 people
Why would any smokescreen be needed? What would the AD want to hide?

Are we the only fanbase whch believe intricate misdirection is necessary to simply hire a head coach?

That's why I used the UF narrative a few minutes ago to give the idea how Stricklen went about hiring Mullen while our sorry azz AD follows the b-ball team to the Bahamas thinking all is well. He had plenty of time to pursue all the top coaches nationwide and chose to gamble. He also took things for granted. The fanbase rightfully called him out and now he's in scramble mode and IMO he should be packing his furniture. The UT faithful aren't just gonna let this slide. His ineptness is actually a dereliction of duty given the circumstance,IMO.

I know Currie has the right to hire the coach but I find it incredible he didn’t consult with any of the power players at UT before offering Schiano. This has damaged him beyond repair. Now, we have to over pay once again for a coach! Sickening. But it’s also sickening with some of the things TN fans have said about Schiano the man without any proof.

I know Currie has the right to hire the coach but I find it incredible he didn’t consult with any of the power players at UT before offering Schiano. This has damaged him beyond repair. Now, we have to over pay once again for a coach! Sickening. But it’s also sickening with some of the things TN fans have said about Schiano the man without any proof.

I get your point about the unproven allegations, but better seeing and hearing them help shut down a bad hire than to have them used against Tennessee on the recruiting circuit. While the allegations may be false, they are important. Negative recruiting may be wrong, but on the receiving end it is important because there's little defense for it.

Question. If TENN paid CBJ $4M a year, why does nobody still mention Frost for $4M yr. Huge raise for him. Very good resume and worked for great coaches. I've never been a big Gundy fan. Rather have Frost and realistically the chances are about the same. Don't panic folks. There are still good candidates available without paying $7 - $8M. Billichek only makes 7.5M. Try Harbough from the Ravens, try Frost, try Tressel, Justin Wilcx, Jeff Tedford, etc. Plenty of good coaches without paying $7M. Look at all D1 head coaches and I guarantee there are some who are pretty good (and that is what we are gonna get)

As most people have figured out, Currie's attempted hire of Schiano was made possible by the Gruden "smokescreen" that was meticulously planned. The Grumors provided distractions and even some of the AD didn't know Currie was pursuing Schiano and attempting to make the hire.

It could be possible that this is another planned "smokescreen" by Currie & company to distract the fanbase while they try to sneak another hire behind the fans back. Just a thought I had considering the eerie similarities between the two situations:

Rumors of offer amount.

"Multiple sources close to the situation indicated Currie’s fate is delicately hanging in the balance, and they also noted Chancellor Beverly Davenport’s chummy relationship with the Vols’ athletic director. Currie and Davenport, per sources on campus, had hands in both Tennessee’s decision last week to publicize false flight paths for a university jet and also Davenport’s decision to favorite a tweet regarding Jon Gruden while Currie, who met with Gruden and had discussions with him on the Vols’ job, also never shot down Gruden talk."

source: New and familiar names emerging in Vols coaching search A.S. (After Schiano)

Only an idiot would try to do that again, so it's entirely possible you are correct. However, I don't think this is a smoke screen, if it was I think we would have gotten a no pretty directly today.

Well there are idiots and it would not surprise me at all if they tried a couple more times.

I believe it is a smokescreen of a different sort. I think that Currie has made an offer to have it turned down. Probably a real offer, but to someone who has no intention of leaving a job they are doing well at and there is no pressure for him to leave. According to news reports, he just turned down the other SEC East job that was open. I believe this offer is to say 'Look, we threw a bunch of money at a good coach and were turned down' and then hire some other bottom feeder coordinator.

How is it that Gundy is considering the job now, but was not on the list before Schiano? Gundy would have not received the reaction that happened Sunday.

There is something not right about Gundy being offered the position after Volnation shut down the Schiano hire.

Currie needs to be gone before we make the an offer to a new coach so there is less of a chance of getting someone that Haslem has hand picked.

I almost posted a similar line of thought today but got distracted by scotch...

what possible good comes from pushing a gruden narrative to bring us schiano? and then, double down, on a gundy smoke screen to bring us...........................

the conspiracy theories have to stop. and the grumors were fan created, fan pushed, and fan followed. i would give it zero chance that currie and UTAD pushed gruden to the hill so they could sneak around and vet Schiano.

that's just dumb. so no, most people haven't "figured that out" you just haven't figured out that grumors was something you created and gave it life and it's own manifest destiny. and this is just an attempt to remove yourself from the blame.
---
No. The Gruden thing was allowed to go on for a reason and intentionally encouraged when Davenport favorited a "Gruden to Tennessee" tweet....and they never shot it down when they KNEW how many were pining for Gruden. This isn't on the fans. We're no different than any other fanbase in the sense of wanting the best coach and caring about the football program.

What's shocking is that they would allow the Gruden talk to go on...and ENCOURAGE it...just so they could spring Schiano on our a**es ? As if we were all gonna be like "Wow...you mean we actually snagged Schiano instead of Gruden? This is AWESOME...THANK YOU".

Rumors of offer amount.

Fire em both and replace them with some Tennessee blood, people who know, love and care about Tennessee....neither Currie nor Davenport do, and that’s a problem imo.

Are we to believe that Gruden would turn down 8.4 million? Something stinks bad concerning this entire fiasco. IF Gruden was actually approached, what was the offer?

I won’t tell you who it will be, in the interest of confidentiality, but it will be a home run.

to coin a phrase: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....it's probably a duck!!!

Currie is a bad Athletic Director, but he's smart enough to know that he'd be fired before the week is out if he tried to pull off a second backchannel coaching search.

There is a good chance he has already torpedoed his chances at UT, and he is working now to salvage his career for when he is asked to resign.

We can only hope at this point. Keep your pitchforks ready.

---
No. The Gruden thing was allowed to go on for a reason and intentionally encouraged when Davenport favorited a "Gruden to Tennessee" tweet....and they never shot it down when they KNEW how many were pining for Gruden. This isn't on the fans. We're no different than any other fanbase in the sense of wanting the best coach and caring about the football program.

What's shocking is that they would allow the Gruden talk to go on...and ENCOURAGE it...just so they could spring Schiano on our a**es ? As if we were all gonna be like "Wow...you mean we actually snagged Schiano instead of Gruden? This is AWESOME...THANK YOU".

so here we are again, liking a tweet is now pushing a narrative, endorsing a full blown cover up smokescreen, to bring greg schiano to knoxville.

really? they didn't start the grumors. they didn't push the narrative. we did that to ourselves.

EVERYONE in the national media said it was a pipe dream. then SDS or some other click bait would pop up an article, you'd click it and follow it with "soon". or some jack azz shows up here wiht a join date of Oct 2017 and starts filling heads with all this insider information, folowed by 'soon'....people practically begging for updates from these so called in siders.......

and at every turn when anyone disputing the grumors even tried to say "hey, wait a minute....i don't think this is going to happen" you're shouted down with the efficiency of a nazi army.

yeah, they were supposed to just "stop that".

now, i'll give you this...they could have just said from the on set that he wasn't a viable candidate, or that they already asked him and he wasn't interested. they could have...probably should have....done that. they mis judged that just like they misjudged trying to cram schiano down our throat.

but once that opportunity was missed, the only people telling you about how it was "going to happen" were the fans and those that trolled this fan base to get clicks and cheap entertainment.

no one wanted to hear the truth....every reputable national media person out there said it was not happening. reputable, though unlikable, local media told you it wasn't going to happen.

people chose to believe it would. period. and trying to pin the blame for grumors on currie at this point is just lazy. "THEY led you to believe....." gimmie a break.

there's a lot of things currie deserves blame for at this point. but putting anyone on the path of believing the grumors is not one of them.

Question. If TENN paid CBJ $4M a year, why does nobody still mention Frost for $4M yr. Huge raise for him. Very good resume and worked for great coaches. I've never been a big Gundy fan. Rather have Frost and realistically the chances are about the same. Don't panic folks. There are still good candidates available without paying $7 - $8M. Billichek only makes 7.5M. Try Harbough from the Ravens, try Frost, try Tressel, Justin Wilcx, Jeff Tedford, etc. Plenty of good coaches without paying $7M. Look at all D1 head coaches and I guarantee there are some who are pretty good (and that is what we are gonna get)

You see, there's another problem. Who says what was offered Gundy? While I do think Currie is a complete fool, only a fool would disclose information like that. Supposedly anyone with a business background knows a little about negotiating and how to hold back negotiating points.

The reason it's important is that if the info is actually factual then every Tom, Dick, and Harry at any level would now expect $7M or so to be the starting point. That's why you don't officially release the who, what, how much, etc about past and current negotiations. That's like walking in to buy something and announcing what you've got in your pocket before you start. With as little credit as I give Currie, I actually believe he's a tad smarter than that, and that most negotiating facts you read online are pulled out of somebody's butt.

VN Store

Back