Currie back as an AD

I can't believe he continues to get jobs. His history here is well documented, but he also had his run-ins with Bill Snyder at K-State. He is not a good AD.
Towards the last 50 years of his career, ERRYBODY had “run-ins” with Snyder. Not exactly the doting grandfather he’s pumped up to be.

Reactions: 508mikey
Towards the last 50 years of his career, ERRYBODY had “run-ins” with Snyder. Not exactly the doting grandfather he’s pumped up to be.

No one in Manhattan liked Currie. They celebrated when he left for Tennessee. People deserve second chances. Not sure about third chances.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
No one in Manhattan liked Currie. They celebrated when he left for Tennessee. People deserve second chances. Not sure about third chances.
He deserved to be fired from UT. The rest is speculative imo. AD’s aren’t genial and cuddly by rule...it’s not illegal.

Hope he has learned something from his KState and UT experiences. He won’t have the same pressures there so maybe he can concentrate on fixing the basketball program.
The problem for Currie is that despite being an AD at two major athletic programs, he doesn't have a lot of experience making big time hires and the experience he does have is bad. His first order of business is going to be to hire a basketball coach, and Wake in the (now pretty distant) past has been a basketball school.

Currie is a good fundraiser, which a school like Wake needs to have, but he appears to handle personnel matters terribly. He clashed with Frank Martin, Bill Snyder (although honestly some of that seems understandable), and then led the disaster of a coaching search at Tennessee. That ain't good.

The problem for Currie is that despite being an AD at two major athletic programs, he doesn't have a lot of experience making big time hires and the experience he does have is bad. His first order of business is going to be to hire a basketball coach, and Wake in the (now pretty distant) past has been a basketball school.

Currie is a good fundraiser, which a school like Wake needs to have, but he appears to handle personnel matters terribly. He clashed with Frank Martin, Bill Snyder (although honestly some of that seems understandable), and then led the disaster of a coaching search at Tennessee. That ain't good.
Mike Hamilton 2.0.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I’m a big baseball guy and love what Vitello is doing but let’s get real here. That’s like a doctor curing your jock itch while you’re showing signs of having heart attack.
Yep. And the "but he hired Vitello" remark is kind of being a prisoner of the moment anyway. Yes, the start is nice, but it seems entirely possible they fade once conference play begins. The SEC is an even better baseball conference than football. You can't give him too much credit for Vitello yet.

The only "big" hire Currie has ever made was replacing Frank Martin with Bruce Weber, and the only reason he had to do that was because he ran Martin off. Weber hasn't been bad - 4 NCAAT appearances in 6 years including an Elite Eight appearance last year, but I think most K-State fans would still rather have Martin.

Yep. And the "but he hired Vitello" remark is kind of being a prisoner of the moment anyway. Yes, the start is nice, but it seems entirely possible they fade once conference play begins. The SEC is an even better baseball conference than football. You can't give him too much credit for Vitello yet.

The only "big" hire Currie has ever made was replacing Frank Martin with Bruce Weber, and the only reason he had to do that was because he ran Martin off. Weber hasn't been bad - 4 NCAAT appearances in 6 years including an Elite Eight appearance last year, but I think most K-State fans would still rather have Martin.
So he’s 100% a failure unless Vitello proves to be a long term great hire? Then we go back and grade him on a curve? How about we concede he’s not a 100% ****-up and not have to revisit his career? FTR I think Frank Martin benefitted from the situation. He was getting a little too Bob Knighty.

Wake is the perfect place for Currie. They are like the 6th most popular school in NC. Nobody cares about Wake outside of Winston and nobody hates them. Randolph Childress, Chris Paul, Rodney Rogers and Tim Duncan are not walking through that door anytime soon. They have nice very good facilities for a school that size and just making a bowl game and getting to the NCAA tournament and even the NIT at this point will keep your job. Beat UNC, DUKE or State every now and then and you get an extension.

So he’s 100% a failure unless Vitello proves to be a long term great hire? Then we go back and grade him on a curve? How about we concede he’s not a 100% ****-up and not have to revisit his career? FTR I think Frank Martin benefitted from the situation. He was getting a little too Bob Knighty.
Let's face it - any big time college AD is going to be judged on the football hire and potentially the men's basketball hire (if they are a basketball school). The other sports can be a total mess and nobody really cares. They don't move the needle.

Currie's search for Butch's replacement was a complete and total disaster. That's what people in his position are ultimately judged on.

Let's face it - any big time college AD is going to be judged on the football hire and potentially the men's basketball hire (if they are a basketball school). The other sports can be a total mess and nobody really cares. They don't move the needle.

Currie's search for Butch's replacement was a complete and total disaster. That's what people in his position are ultimately judged on.
And if Leach had been at least his third choice, he’d still be here. And we’d be a much worse program for it. He’s not going to be judged at any other program for what he did here.

And if Leach had been at least his third choice, he’d still be here. And we’d be a much worse program for it. He’s not going to be judged at any other program for what he did here.
I'm not sure what you're arguing. You said earlier "how about we concede he's not a 100% F-up" but also said that if he pursued and landed Leach earlier in the search he'd still be here, with the football program in even worse shape than it is now. That isn't exactly a defense of him. It's really hard to argue his tenure at Tennessee was anything other than a 100% failure. I mean it was completely disastrous. If you told Currie on Day 1 exactly how his tenure was going to turn out, I'm sure even he'd tell you that is a disaster.

Wake won't judge him for what he did here because the stakes and the situation are totally different. He needs to simply make a nice basketball hire - a guy who can get them into the tournament every so often and keep the program's nose clean. At Tennessee it was totally different - within months he had to fire a football coach and then was expected to hire a guy who would return the program to conference/national glory, all while operating within a political and administrative dumpster fire.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. You said earlier "how about we concede he's not a 100% F-up" but also said that if he pursued and landed Leach earlier in the search he'd still be here, with the football program in even worse shape than it is now. That isn't exactly a defense of him. It's really hard to argue his tenure at Tennessee was anything other than a 100% failure. I mean it was completely disastrous. If you told Currie on Day 1 exactly how his tenure was going to turn out, I'm sure even he'd tell you that is a disaster.

Wake won't judge him for what he did here because the stakes and the situation are totally different. He needs to simply make a nice basketball hire - a guy who can get them into the tournament every so often and keep the program's nose clean. At Tennessee it was totally different - within months he had to fire a football coach and then was expected to hire a guy who would return the program to conference/national glory, all while operating within a political and administrative dumpster fire.
You pegged it. I’m not “defending” him. It’s not an all or nothing issue.

VN Store

Back