Curious how many of you would like to see Bruce Pearl as our next basketball coach.

Hell, f#ck NO ! Moot point, anyway. UT will never, ever rehire Pearl, burned that bridge like he burned that stuck-up ex-wife for Brandi

Absolutely. What he did to his assistants should have him blackballed by the entire coaching community. I’m shocked he still has people willing to work for him, aside from his son (also an all-star human). I assume the snake oil salesman routine extends to his ability to explain that all away to naive potential assistants. Give any of them 5 minutes with Steve Forbes or Jason Shay, and perhaps to a lesser extent, Tony Jones, and they’d have some cautionary tales to share.
I heard Forbes on a radio broadcast interview talking about what he & Shay went through going to Junior college & basics starting at the bottom of coaching ranks. they were collateral damage that few knew about and where cast aside by their former boss.

Yep. Hamilton sold Pearl down the river and was complicit in the 3 year show cause.

Frank Haith knew a booster was paying players. Frank Haith paid the booster a 100k to make it all go away. Frank Haith had three different NCAA interviews where he lied to them each time out.

Missouri had just hired him. The basically told the NCAA and SEC to flip off when they pressured Missouri to fire him. Haith got a 7 or 8 game suspension for all that once Missouri told them they were keeping him. Bruce got 8 games at the start of that season for the bump violation that turned out to not even be a violation.

Had Tennessee taken the Missouri path, we never have the Martin/Tindall years, Auburn stays in the dumpster and we probably have a final four or two.

The people taking to the fainting couches over Pearl lying...lord, every coach in the NCAA in football and basketball lies.

I don’t understand. Are you suggesting that the NCAA’s decision to levy a show cause penalty was based on our athletic departments response?

I heard Forbes on a radio broadcast interview talking about what he & Shay went through going to Junior college & basics starting at the bottom of coaching ranks. they were collateral damage that few knew about and where cast aside by their former boss.

I can tell you for a fact that Jason Shay's wife wouldn't spit on Pearl if he were on fire.

The end result never would have happened if he had told the truth. This is a fact. It’s 100% on Bruce.

Sure, but you have the advantage of knowing the outcome. Bruce did not. If I'm Pearl back in whatever year, I weigh the pros and cons of lying and look at what the potential outcomes could be. My guess (as Pearl) would be telling the truth could hurt the school and possibly him. That outcome is likely...a level 2 violation and maybe a couple game suspension for Pearl? If he lies, best case everyone gets off free. Worst case? Maybe like a 10 game suspension and even that feels like a stretch. I'm sure some will disagree, but if Pearl thought there was even the tiniest chance he'd get canned and a show cause, there is zero chance he lies. A lot of people on here want to call Bruce out for being self-interested and morally bankrupt. If that's the case, then no way he ever does something that could result in firing + a show cause from basically his dream job.

It's like if you're on the interstate and in a hurry. You might speed a bit cause worst case you get a ticket, but you decide it's worth the risk. However, you unfortunately get pulled over and when you go to court for your fine the judge decides the punishment is now the death penalty. It's easy for someone to look back afterwards and say, well you shouldn't have been speeding. That's not wrong, but at the time, you didn't have all the info you needed to make the best decision. I'd argue it's not possible to make a correct decision because the authority involved was completely unreasonable.

The NCAA went nuclear on Pearl in a way it never had before and never has since. That's not fair or reasonable. I'm all for personal accountability, and Pearl lied. He deserved punishment for that, but if we're being honest, he was crucified over a parking ticket.

Sure, but you have the advantage of knowing the outcome. Bruce did not. If I'm Pearl back in whatever year, I weigh the pros and cons of lying and look at what the potential outcomes could be. My guess (as Pearl) would be telling the truth could hurt the school and possibly him. That outcome is likely...a level 2 violation and maybe a couple game suspension for Pearl? If he lies, best case everyone gets off free. Worst case? Maybe like a 10 game suspension and even that feels like a stretch. I'm sure some will disagree, but if Pearl thought there was even the tiniest chance he'd get canned and a show cause, there is zero chance he lies. A lot of people on here want to call Bruce out for being self-interested and morally bankrupt. If that's the case, then no way he ever does something that could result in firing + a show cause from basically his dream job.

It's like if you're on the interstate and in a hurry. You might speed a bit cause worst case you get a ticket, but you decide it's worth the risk. However, you unfortunately get pulled over and when you go to court for your fine the judge decides the punishment is now the death penalty. It's easy for someone to look back afterwards and say, well you shouldn't have been speeding. That's not wrong, but at the time, you didn't have all the info you needed to make the best decision. I'd argue it's not possible to make a correct decision because the authority involved was completely unreasonable.

The NCAA went nuclear on Pearl in a way it never had before and never has since. That's not fair or reasonable. I'm all for personal accountability, and Pearl lied. He deserved punishment for that, but if we're being honest, he was crucified over a parking ticket.
Typed all that out over stupid ass Bruce Pearl. Brutal.

Excuses.

Yawn….

Typed all that out over stupid ass Bruce Pearl. Brutal.
Everyone knows a speeding ticket isn't gonna get you thrown in jail, even for a minute. But every coach knows the worst thing to do is to let the NCAA wolf in the door to ravage your program. And they all know beforehand that the best way to do that is to lie to them when they question you, because they will make an example of you. Knowing that, and that he committed ticky tack fouls, it was terrible judgement to lie to them. Tell the truth, take the slap on the wrist, and move on. His decision to lie was stupid, and the WORST thing he could have done for UT. And that isn't hindsight, he knew that when he did it, but panicked and lied. Just pure, unadulterated stupidity.

Reactions: berryvol
Everyone knows a speeding ticket isn't gonna get you thrown in jail, even for a minute. But every coach knows the worst thing to do is to let the NCAA wolf in the door to ravage your program. And they all know beforehand that the best way to do that is to lie to them when they question you, because they will make an example of you. Knowing that, and that he committed ticky tack fouls, it was terrible judgement to lie to them. Tell the truth, take the slap on the wrist, and move on. His decision to lie was stupid, and the WORST thing he could have done for UT. And that isn't hindsight, he knew that when he did it, but panicked and lied. Just pure, unadulterated stupidity.
Yup. This is the entire Bruce situation in a nutshell. No one to blame but himself.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Curious how many of you would like to see Bruce Pearl as our next basketball coach. I’ll start by raising my hand. Pearl put Tennessee basketball back on the map which was no easy feat. I met him shortly after he was hired in 2005 at the Reebok ABCD camp in Hackensack, New Jersey. O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love were the big prospects there. Tubby Smith, Jim Boeheim and other big name coaches were there sitting in the stands at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Told my wife “look… It’s Bruce Pearl sitting up there by himself.“ We plopped down next to him and started a conversation. He couldn’t have been more engaging and passionate about Tennessee despite having just been hired. I told him how we camped out in line for Kentucky tickets during the early 80s with Dale Ellis, Michael Brooks and crew and how wild Stokely Athletic Center was in those days. He looked me dead in the eye and said “I’m going to do everything in my power to get it back to that.“ I could tell he absolutely meant it. You know what? He did. He actually did one better making poorly-designed, acoustically-challenged, non-intimidating TBA a home court advantage. He also knows how to coach deep into the NCAA tournament. Enough water has passed under the bridge. Bruce Pearl should succeed (the fairly-soon retiring) Rick Barnes. Same salary as Barnes is reasonable.. He’s a VFL. Can’t have much more skin here than he had. He had hot chicks on his boat on the Tennessee River and his wife divorced him and turned gangsta naming her hair salon “Alimony.“. Sounds like a very Tennessee thing.
I would. Make a poll.

I don’t understand. Are you suggesting that the NCAA’s decision to levy a show cause penalty was based on our athletic departments response?
Yes! The admin in recent years has been VERY soft! Although disliked and he hated hoops, Dickey knew how to play hardball w/ NCAA!

Yes! The admin in recent years has been VERY soft! Although disliked and he hated hoops, Dickey knew how to play hardball w/ NCAA!

Yeah which means instead of having a 19-5 team that we're b****ing about ( and I say that knowing some is legit), we'd have Wade Houston ball.

I'll take the not Dickey.

Reactions: festus44
Yeah which means instead of having a 19-5 team that we're b****ing about ( and I say that knowing some is legit), we'd have Wade Houston ball.

I'll take the not Dickey.
You’re missing the point about the former administrations and management! The current administration, if you need a reference with the Beldar Cornbread situation, is much more stable and has acumen.

You’re missing the point about the former administrations and management! The current administration, if you need a reference with the Beldar Cornbread situation, is much more stable and has acumen.

I'm not missing anything. I responded specifically to Dickey and his lack of respect for basketball.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
Yeah, that seems to be a heavy theme with people looking to defend him/his behavior. The, "Yeah, he lied, but look what Coach X did..." defense is simply a red herring, intentional or not.

I also don't know how you can look at the totality of his immoral behavior from Iowa, to UW-M, to Tennessee, to Auburn, and believe that if he instead gets off with another slap on the wrist because Tennessee stood up to the NCAA on his behalf, that he suddenly changes his stripes. So while it's fun to project that he'd have continued his success at Tennessee for another decade, or more, with multiple Final 4s, it's even more likely that the lack of punishment and accountability only further emboldens him to continue to act outside of the rules. That's the hypothetical scenario that Pearl defenders don't want to account for in their future projections had he not been fired.

100%

For too many, the ends justify the means and they are willing to take the risk (which is easy when you are not the one accountable). For others, it is the result of a simplistic perspective.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back