Cupcake or No Cupcake for Game 1?

Would you rather the first game be...

• A cupcake that we easily beat by multiple scores and get some confidence

• A Power 5 contender that shows us early what we really have.

Results are only viewable after voting.
if it’s just a glorified scrimmage what’s the point?

You don’t have to schedule Ohio State or anything but schedule someone who’s going to test you.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Our week 2 opponent will be hosting WV in the Back Yard Brawl opener. WV is not ranked very high but does return their offensive line and a few key players. It will be an interesting game to watch to see how qb Slovis plays for Pitt at home in that offense. I'd say that Pitt will gain the advantage of playing a solid big 12 team in the opener vs a mid-american conference foe. However, I for one look forward to the smacking that we will unleash on the B St team from Indiana, as we look for payback after playing horrific defense against the last team we played from Indiana in the Music City Bowl.

I look at it like lifting weights. You gotta do a little warm up before hitting the heavy stuff or you could set yourself up for disaster.

Then again you could still tweak a vertebrae warming up on squats with just the bar (i.e. Georgia State).

I agree Joe. I would LOVE to be playing a big name on Thursday that all eyes are on. But, I wouldn't want to end Week 1 in a loss. Georgia State still hurts.
People will be peeking! I feel some nervous thoughts coming across the State Line...both of them!!

Reactions: TNHopeful505
I don't mind the mid-major to open up. I don't want to open with a directional FCS school though. Once we are officially back, I'm all in for a Top 10/20 feature game.

Wow, this poll shows how far we’ve moved from the late 1990’s and 2000’s. I remember how jacked up the students would get for some of the bigger opening games. We were proud of Fulmer’s any opponent, anywhere mantra.
Lol we played cupcakes then too. Revisionist history

Lol we played cupcakes then too. Revisionist history

I haven’t done what you've claimed here. I’m not revising the history of our opening games. I went to some of those opening cupcake games when I was in school.

I’m making a comparison between the sentiments in this poll versus what i believe them to be years back. When I was in Knoxville most people I know preferred a big opener against a tougher opponent.

They won 13 games last year but I think UT scores on them at will. The only chance a smaller school has against a power 5 is to keep the score low, stay in it. Huepel keeps his foot on the gas, unlike some previous coaches.

I just hate that when we do schedule a premier team, they seem to be having their best season in decades when they play us.
Underrated post. This is true. It also includes TNs rotating west opponent from SEC West. Since about 2005, TNs opponent was ways at a historic peak it seemed. They never drew the cellar dwellers it seemed.

You need a third option for this poll:

Would you rather the first game be...
  • A cupcake that we easily beat by multiple scores and get some confidence
  • A Power 5 contender that shows us early what we really have.
  • Army.

Having a tough opening game forces more urgency and hard work in fall camp. Gives your guys more motivation and less procrastination. You must be prepared… not “we’ll get there eventually.”

How much confidence can you really gain when you know you just beat a significantly lesser opponent? How much more confidence would you have if you beat a strong contender?

They won 13 games last year but I think UT scores on them at will. The only chance a smaller school has against a power 5 is to keep the score low, stay in it. Huepel keeps his foot on the gas, unlike some previous coaches.
If you're talking about Ball State, they most certainly did not win 13 games last year.

Reactions: Firebirdparts
It has been said the biggest improvement in a team is going from game 1 to game 2. If that is true, then it's best to play a weaker opponent first to get all the kinks and errors fixed before facing a tougher opponent. First game like an NFL preseason game.

Based on the last 10 years, I have no idea what to expect for the first game. I hope at the end of the season, I will want to change my answer.
If this was in the prime Fulmer years, I'd want a top 5 opponent on day 1.

I agree, I think CJH needs a little more time before he opens with a big-time game. I think he will get to that point but I like a little warm-up game first. Not using this as an excuse to lose games but CJH has only been on campus like a year in a half. Let him get his offense installed and his recruits installed before we take on big-time opponents in game 1. I would start looking for this in after year 2023. The schedule has not helped us for so many years, hopefully, it will turn in our favor.

Beat Florida!

Reactions: basspond
Gotta start with a team you expect to beat easily. Team gains confidence, you get to play a lot of guys and nothing kills a fan base spirt faster than getting smacked down by a P5 team in Week 1

No, we should start with Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson etc.. on the first game so that everyone will be calling for the coach to be fired by game two.

VN Store

Back