Cuonzo supporters put to rest

LAVol1

Last nights slaughter of Mizzou on their home court should put to rest the few remaining Cuonzo supporters among Vol fans. As I've said for some time, CM is a fine man, an outstanding recruiter, but can't coach. He cannot make in-game adjustments. His teams almost always play worse the second half of games than the first half because opposing coaches make positive adjustments and Cuonzo does not. Losing by 24 at home is more evidence of this. Look at Mizzou and realize this is what Tennessee BB would be right now had Cuonzo been retained.

Is it so bad that many consider him a good coach and that he got mistreated by our fanbase a bit? Why is that hard for some to accept? I personally feel that Cuonzo is a much better man than Pearl who happens to be the better basketball coach. I also think Barnes is as good or better than both, as a man and a coach. Your post is just digging at old wounds, why can't a fan continue to believe and feel what they actually believe and feel as opposed to believing everything you believe and feel?

I don't know , but it seems to me Conzo has an axe to grind. He just seems angry all the time. His players kinda reflect that persona too. Gimme even keeled Barnes any day. And it does appear RB can coach.

From what I've heard he is a great man but like the OP stated, not a great coach. Reminds me of Buzz Peterson with a meaner streak.

Both excellent guys but I'm so thankful we have RB.

Last nights slaughter of Mizzou on their home court should put to rest the few remaining Cuonzo supporters among Vol fans. As I've said for some time, CM is a fine man, an outstanding recruiter, but can't coach. He cannot make in-game adjustments. His teams almost always play worse the second half of games than the first half because opposing coaches make positive adjustments and Cuonzo does not. Losing by 24 at home is more evidence of this. Look at Mizzou and realize this is what Tennessee BB would be right now had Cuonzo been retained.
Cuonzo got a little bit of raw deal but brought much of it on himself w/ temperment towards fans/admin. He wouldn't have been railed on so much if his last team played during the season remotely like they played in the post season. I do believe he's a quality person and a good coach if he has his players to play his "game". They've had some big injuries last couple years...but, if not for him leaving, we'd not have Barnes, so it's all good with me and no ill will towards him.

I've always thought Martin gets a bit of a bad rap. This was his first major job. People sometimes forget the circumstances the program was in and why he was hired. We needed a guy with a squeaky clean reputation in basketball circles AND, no proven guy was going to take the job at that time, certainly nobody the caliber of a Barnes.

Everybody loved Pearl and the next guy whoever it was not gonna have it easy, not with recruiting, not with the fanbase. He took it all in stride, right or wrong we wanted to move on, he wanted to move on...but expecting a rather inexperienced guy to come in here and do what Pearl did, and do it clean, well...that's not really a fair expectation imo.

Glad we got ourselves out of ALL the mess eventually and glad we have Barnes now.

Thought it was telling when the TV folks had him miked up. I don't know anything about coaching, but he used phrases like "we need to defend better down on this end", and other things like that. He didn't explain to them what they needed to do to correct the problem. To a dullard like me, that would seem like the thing they needed. I think that is the strong point for Barnes, he teaches them the game.

Recruiting talent and developing talent.................two different things.

Did you see those kids he got out there at Cal? He also got the Porter brothers to Mizzou. Don’t forget some the guys here of course. Outstanding is subjective but he was a good recruiter.
The Porter kids were lifelong Missouri fans, and almost all the Tennessee players that were really good were essentially on board when he came in. I do agree that he did a terrific job recruiting at Cal, but the subsequent results didn't match the talent. The style we play now is way more exciting than what Martin had here.

Can’t coach? I wouldn’t go that far
I give him credit for the initial evaluation and growth of Josh Richardson. I think he was very good at player development but not so good at X's and O's.

The Porter kids were lifelong Missouri fans, and almost all the Tennessee players that were really good were essentially on board when he came in. I do agree that he did a terrific job recruiting at Cal, but the subsequent results didn't match the talent. The style we play now is way more exciting than what Martin had here.
Absolutely. I was somewhat excited when Martin came because I thought we would play smart and hard. We didn’t really do either consistently. We were terrible fundamentally and poor at the FT line. For the talent here he didn’t do a good job and the same is true at Cal. I didn’t think he deserved the petition to bring back Bruce but Cuonzo was not going to do good things here although he does seem to be a very nice man.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Thought it was telling when the TV folks had him miked up. I don't know anything about coaching, but he used phrases like "we need to defend better down on this end", and other things like that. He didn't explain to them what they needed to do to correct the problem. To a dullard like me, that would seem like the thing they needed. I think that is the strong point for Barnes, he teaches them the game.

I agree. I thought his comments were weak. I think one was "play good defense without fouling". I don't think it did him much good to be miked

VN Store

Back