Cuonzo post game quote...

They didn’t play well
This is the only game I’ve seen them play, but unless they establish some form of team offense then they are very average. They grab and push way too much on D which subjects them to constant whistles. The refs appeared to try and keep the calls somewhat even last night but good refs won’t do that. They didn’t have 1 player I’d put in our top 7. Very average and boring team to watch.

We just got out played in every aspect of the game. Our guys got a wake op call. We’ll learn from this and get better

You wouldn’t say that if you think your team did all they can and the other team
Is just vastly superior

I dont think Mizzou is a bad team. We were hitting everything from the very start if the game and put Mizzou in a hole. Mizzou simply isn't an offensive juggernaut that can recover from being down so much. Particularly against a great defensive team like UT. After a another great start to the 2nd half, they really got away from themselves and played desperately.

I think they will fighting to try and get a top 4 finish in the SEC by the end of the year. I'll be really interested to see how they play against another likely top 4 SEC team in Arkansas.

This is the only game I’ve seen them play, but unless they establish some form of team offense then they are very average. They grab and push way too much on D which subjects them to constant whistles. The refs appeared to try and keep the calls somewhat even last night but good refs won’t do that. They didn’t have 1 player I’d put in our top 7. Very average and boring team to watch.

They have a couple of outstanding players. One of their guards (forgot his name) has outstanding athleticism and gave us fits.
Any team in SEC would take Tillman. We had to double team him the entire game.

I thought Mizzou has a good team. They walked into a buzz saw last night. Best game UT has played all year. Looked like a FF team last night.

I dont think Mizzou is a bad team. We were hitting everything from the very start if the game and put Mizzou in a hole. Mizzou simply isn't an offensive juggernaut that can recover from being down so much. Particularly against a great defensive team like UT. After a another great start to the 2nd half, they really got away from themselves and played desperately.

I think they will fighting to try and get a top 4 finish in the SEC by the end of the year. I'll be really interested to see how they play against another likely top 4 SEC team in Arkansas.
They are not that goood of a team. They are not better than UT, Auburn, Arky, Ms. State, Ky, TAM, Florida and probable a nother or two. Have not played anybody other than Illinois and they are not great either!

It's amazing to me just how objectively he is not a good coach.

He always has talented players, sometimes very talented players. But for some reason Cuonzo's 5+5+5 never equals 15; it's like 11 or 12.

Reactions: EarlVolFan
I watched about half of Mizzou's previous game with Bradley. They were extremely fortunate to squeak out a 1 point win. The better team won that game last night!

A real 3 team round robin will be completed on 1/6
TN-MZ 73-53 We accomplished this by shooting over 50% from the floor. That is scary good. I will argue that if we can shoot 50% from the floor ... there are very few teams that can compete with that.
MZ-Ark 1/2 Prediction: Missouri in a close one.
TN-Ark 1/6 Prediction: TN 15+

NCAA Stats:
Offensive Ranking
Ark #11 (note: they have played nobody, except Auburn)
TN #71
MZ #192
Defensive Ranking
TN #1
Ark #58
MZ #98 (note: they have played the most difficult schedule to date)

Factors Worth considering
MZ strength of schedule 35 KenPom
TN strength of schedule 209 KenPom
Ark strength of schedule 284 KenPom

I thought MZ was one of the top 4 teams in the SEC. And I still think MZ is one of the top 4 teams in the league!
MZ wins by playing really good defense (steals, turnovers) and taking advantage when they can offensively. They are not built to be a offensive juggernant.

What makes TN special? They practice against excellent defense every day in practice!

I think ARK is one of the top 4 teams OFFENSIVELY in the SEC ... their performance against Auburn would tend to validate that perspective.
They are a race horse team that tires you out after running your legs off.
I am projecting the following records following the mini round robin:
TN 2-0
MZ 1-1
Ark 0-2
Furthermore,
Martin OPENED the press conference with this, "Give Tennessee credit they played well, on both sides of the basketball. ... (later) We didn't play well. And you have to give them [Tennessee] a lot of credit for that."
In addition to that, he praised Pons as the most valuable player on Tennessee's team because of everything he brings to the game.
Frankly, we need to remember that we play them again in 4 weeks.
The wisest course, according to me, is to not demoralize the team, you try to leave them with hope that they need to improve.

On to TN,
... did you see Fulkerson and Santi huddled with the coach ... explaining why the open 3 (later part of the game) was Fulkerson's responsibility? We were up by 20+ and the coaches were discussing with players how to play that situation better defensively.
.... was it not fun to see us spring a 1-2-2 3/4 court trap!
... we put our finish up players into the game with over 3 minutes to go in the game.
... our freshmen... don't they look both phenomenal and occasionally foolhardy. They show some of the same mistakes that I saw in Santi last year. But they are learning and because of more practice time ... they are also further ahead and fitting in nicely. And their defense is really good.
... good to see Gaines settle in... after a little bit of tightness.

VN Store

Back