Culture Shift: "Kellie Harper is tough, and the Lady Vols appreciate it"

LVsinceJV

Kellie Harper is tough, and the Lady Vols appreciate it

Quotes:

“I think she is pretty much preparing us for life,” Davis said. “How you react is pretty much all you can control. Our reactions — they have to get better, and she knows that.”

Sophomore Zaay Green said practices are much more challenging under Harper than they were last season...“She’s real tough — she isn’t playing games,” Green said. “She was like, ‘When adversity hits, what are you going to do?’ We were like, ‘OK, we’re going to play.’”

“Every time we even look like we’re putting our heads down, she’s on us,” Brown said...“I love that she does that because that can really hurt teams. I think that, as the season progresses, that’s going to be an aspect of our game that we may not need to worry about anymore.”

We were definitely weak last season gave up quickly and looked like a deer in headlights when things didn't go our way. I will still have to judge this team on the way they play, but they are talking a good game and I know Kellie is providing the toughness and discipline they need.

We were definitely weak last season gave up quickly and looked like a deer in headlights when things didn't go our way. I will still have to judge this team on the way they play, but they are talking a good game and I know Kellie is providing the toughness and discipline they need.
I LOVE that she makes them run when they get in a down mood or make mistakes. Setting up expectations of persistence and mental toughness as early as possible.

There are some media day interviews on periscope according to a person on facebook haven't been able to find them.

I wish I could "like" the Original Post a million times.

From the moment I heard that Kellie had been hired I just knew that this year's team -- whoever was on the team -- was going to respect Harper's voice and authority. I am seriously over-the-moon happy with how things are already going, and this before the season even starts. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Oh yeah. Eff ewe, Dirge_Vol, wherever you are!

Hope LVs do well this year. Really enjoy watching them. It is a reality that competition in women's BB has really gotten tougher and I don't believe it is reasonable to expect dominance like during Pat's tenure. But I would sure like to see some SEC wins and championships as well as deep runs in the NCAA. Maybe a NC in the future.

I'm sure she watched them multiple times from the moment she was selected to interview for the position.

When she watched the game films, she saw a team that had no offensive identity...The 3 ball was considered a sin...The coach had no idea how to position her players to defeat a zone defense....A good pick up squad, at a rec center, could give the team a difficult game....Fans leaving for the exits early as the legend of the Lady Vols was flushed away game by game....She saw how a head coach can stomp her foot and throw her hands up, not knowing what to do....Saw a team that did not value offense...The team never met a turnover to make they didn't like....She saw a team that did not know basic basketball...

Kellie has a huge task in front of her, but she can do it.

kudos to the sports writer who selected the quotes and wrote the article, well done. Note how imbedded a simple concept - " this is Coach Kelly's team, a team beginning under Coach Kelly." ownership includes responsibility and authority - she is exhibiting both. to be the best team we can be has meaning.

Kellie worked her way into this job. Holly had it handed to her. It had nothing to do with effort for Holly. Something earned is always more worth fighting to keep than something given. Kellie will do great here.

While Kellie wasn't my first choice I like what I've seen and heard so far. It also seems she has the respect of the players, I'm not sure Holly ever had that. Could be her constant deflecting of blame from herself to her players but luckily those days are over and I believe it will be sooner than later that the Lady Vols are right back where they belong.

Junior Kasiyahna Kushkituah said it’s the hardest she has worked ahead of any season.

She didn’t hesitate when asked if the team needed that kind of push to turn things around.

“Oh we definitely needed it,” Kushkituah said. “We have all the talent in the world, but it comes down to being disciplined, listening and being confident.

“She likes everything to be perfect, and we appreciate that.”

So many great quotes in this article. This one above from Kasi was last.

For all of us who saw the bad body language from previous years, apparently Coach Kellie hates it, and won’t put up with it. So happy to have a Coach who is building a team that will play with confidence.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back