Crazy story told by Grant Williams about Rick Barnes

I played college baseball and we had multiple days in the fall that were designed to weed players out. They were brutal but players found a way thru them. Dude doing the interviewing acted like he had never heard of something like that before.

That is some funny crap. There's one that follows about how they were taught to take their guy out on the opening tip.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I played college baseball and we had multiple days in the fall that were designed to weed players out. They were brutal but players found a way thru them. Dude doing the interviewing acted like he had never heard of something like that before.

His faux shock is silly and shouldn’t be hosting a show discussing anything related to sports if that truly surprises him. Nearly every coach I played for and coached with has implemented some version of this. My older brother played for a coach who would use a belt on them when they screwed up lol not sure you could do that now though

His faux shock is silly and shouldn’t be hosting a show discussing anything related to sports if that truly surprises him. Nearly every coach I played for and coached with has implemented some version of this. My older brother played for a coach who would use a belt on them when they screwed up lol not sure you could do that now though
If you use a belt on someone you should go to jail. Jesus

I ran into my old high school baseball coach recently. He said you couldn't coach now like he coached us back in the day or they would put you in jail. Run till you puke and then run some more. He made us a state ranked team that made the Final Four and more importantly it helped make men out of us. Everytime I hear somebody say that guys gonna be great coach because he's a player's coach I know that team is about to suck. Great coaches are not always fun to play for.

I ran into my old high school baseball coach recently. He said you couldn't coach now like he coached us back in the day or they would put you in jail. Run till you puke and then run some more. He made us a state ranked team that made the Final Four and more importantly it helped make men out of us. Everytime I hear somebody say that guys gonna be great coach because he's a player's coach I know that team is about to suck. Great coaches are not always fun to play for.
I agree. The one I actually hated was the best one for me. He saw in me what I couldn’t see. I would have never been what I became without him.

I remember back in the day (late 60's through the 70's) all the grabbing of a facemask and twisting your head 90 degrees to get one's attention. Also remember one coach taking a water hose and standing at the ready to swipe it across one's butt if you didn't get off the line quick enough when the ball was snapped. Needless to say, we got quick off the line after a couple of smacks on the butt and most never had neck injuries from the twisting of the head. We respected authority. I look back with fond memories, not those of horror. Also remember the ringing of the ears (when we would daydream) from popping the top of the helmet with a whistle or chin strap buckle. Most of these coaches would not make it a week in today's coaching world. Appreciate hearing about old school coaching. Such teams are usually tougher than most.

Reactions: 207 others and sami
Haha, how about a switch? The one you had to go pick yourself...make sure it's a good one. 😅
That was a walk my brother and I both hated. He thought he was going to fool my mother and intentionally semi broke sections in his switch. So the first contact my mother made with him she was left with a six inch nub in her hand. Mom being mom never missed a beat. She instantly reacted by grabbing mine and whipping my brother with it.Hard to fool Moms.

So who wants to go back and figure out who transferred that Spring? I don’t have time but I’m curious.
I don’t want to call Grant a liar but he might be exaggerating a little. Pretty sure he said after his freshman year? That would have been 2018 and he said during an early summer conditioning? Well the only person that transferred out if I remember correctly was Chris Darrington and that was in April right after the season ended.

I was thinking maybe Sembari Phillips but that was the year before.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I don’t want to call Grant a liar but he might be exaggerating a little. Pretty sure he said after his freshman year? That would have been 2018 and he said during an early summer conditioning? Well the only person that transferred out if I remember correctly was Chris Darrington and that was in April right after the season ended.

Could he have included walk ons?

Summer of 2017 would have been right after his freshman season

Reactions: Govolsman98
Summer of 2017 would have been right after his freshman season
You are correct I had my years messed up. So I bet it was Shembari Phillips and maybe a walk-on? News hit he was transferring May 10th, 2017.

News of Kwe Parker transferring hit March 23, 2017 so I don't think it was him.

Weeding players out is a very real thing. Played football at the FCS level, first week of lifts and practices were the worst thing I’ve ever been through in my entire life and I played 3 sports for 15 years. There’s a reason they call it freshman h*** week.
This bring backs memories lol We called it H*** Camp at my school. It was miserable, I can remember senior year one day it storming so bad we couldn’t go outside like we normally would for that week. One of the newcomers said “thank goodness we are inside today!” I laughed and just said that’s what you think… he ended up walking out and not coming back that day.

Reactions: LSG410EC83

VN Store

Back